Cam/Lifter Teardown

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OcallyRamFam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Definitely interested in this thread as Im about 2 weeks from starting this myself - as soon as I can find the darn Lifters and Pushrods in stock......I see theres a million threads on lifters so i wont steal this thread to discuss, but youll see me elsehwere :)

Any update to your progress/completion on this, CunningStunt?

OcallyRamFam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
also curious why youve decided to keep the MDS in place, as far as I can tell from a ton of research, all of this lifter/cam failure seems to relate to the MDS side of the engine, most notably the #5 as in your and my cases.

Because of this, I have decided to delete the MDS. Comp Cams has recommended a cam kit - but it seems like the non MDS lifters are a sourcing nightmare.

Im going to start a new thread so I dont disrupt your flow, but please chime in with opinions and ideas as I will to as I get into this.

Cheers to more Beers!
S

OP
OP
CunningStunt

CunningStunt

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi 4X4 Crew White/Chrome
also curious why youve decided to keep the MDS in place, as far as I can tell from a ton of research, all of this lifter/cam failure seems to relate to the MDS side of the engine, most notably the #5 as in your and my cases.

Because of this, I have decided to delete the MDS. Comp Cams has recommended a cam kit - but it seems like the non MDS lifters are a sourcing nightmare.

Im going to start a new thread so I dont disrupt your flow, but please chime in with opinions and ideas as I will to as I get into this.

Cheers to more Beers!
S
Based on what I have seen on this forum and others, MDS is NOT the issue...a non MDS lifter failed for me and many others...if it walks like a duck...

It seems to be leaning toward a lifter QC issue and lubrication strategy more than the MDS being at fault.

Also, I cannot afford a performance cam, MDS delete, and tune so I am going "stock". That being said I am hovering on the buy button for an MMX NSR NTR MDS cam with OEM lifters. I do not race...this is my daily driver that may pull a horse trailer a few times a year.