Cam/Lifter Teardown

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
CunningStunt

CunningStunt

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi 4X4 Crew White/Chrome
Ok...what's the trick to get injector connectors off??? Feel like imma break em..

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks man, I appreciate you following and responding, helps give me a little piece of mind. Getting off in a few hours and will be getting balls-deep this afternoon.
I didn't think any special tool was required for the quick disconnect Ram uses, either the single button type or the "redundant latch" type. The tool you showed was listed for Ford products.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 73126 miles

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok...what's the trick to get injector connectors off??? Feel like imma break em..
Is there a little colored tab on the connectors?

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 73126 miles

OP
OP
CunningStunt

CunningStunt

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is there a little colored tab on the connectors?

Regards,
Dusty
Yes sir, there is a red tab but I tried pushing, pulling and tugging

OP
OP
CunningStunt

CunningStunt

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I didn't think any special tool was required for the quick disconnect Ram uses, either the single button type or the "redundant latch" type. The tool you showed was listed for Ford products.

Regards,
Dusty
It came off without a tool on the connection nearest the fuel rail. Still at a loss with the fuel injector connection. Gonna do some googling this evening after I return some rental tools.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It came off without a tool on the connection nearest the fuel rail. Still at a loss with the fuel injector connection. Gonna do some googling this evening after I return some rental tools.
I use a screwdriver to pry/slide up the red tabs and then just press and connector will come right off. I almost always lose them not a big deal they still clip on fine normal.

OP
OP
CunningStunt

CunningStunt

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I use a screwdriver to pry/slide up the red tabs and then just press and connector will come right off. I almost always lose them not a big deal they still clip on fine normal.
That's what I ended up doing and got them all removed. What's the trick to getting the alternator off? I unscrewed the two bolts but it won't budge. It was the last thing I did last night before I quit for the evening.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
That's what I ended up doing and got them all removed. What's the trick to getting the alternator off? I unscrewed the two bolts but it won't budge. It was the last thing I did last night before I quit for the evening.
You should probably hunt up either a Haynes or Chiltons repair manual,as it sounds like you need one.

OP
OP
CunningStunt

CunningStunt

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You should probably hunt up either a Haynes or Chiltons repair manual,as it sounds like you need one.

Lol, I figured it out, I am just afraid to break things

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Lol, I figured it out, I am just afraid to break things
With the questions you're asking,i still think you should get either a Haynes or Chiltons manual,they'd probably save you a bunch of time.Did you read through Kurtis's cam swap how to,if not,make the time to read through it,as he has some pretty decent tips.

OP
OP
CunningStunt

CunningStunt

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
With the questions you're asking,i still think you should get either a Haynes or Chiltons manual,they'd probably save you a bunch of time.Did you read through Kurtis's cam swap how to,if not,make the time to read through it,as he has some pretty decent tips.

I have read through his thread many many times. It is the reason I even decided to go ahead and do this myself...little did I know, it skips through most of the conectors/tubes/other peripherals required to get to the intake and heads. Because of that, I have been slow going and cautious and even marking connectors and tubes as I go to make sure I can reasonably reassemble. I do agree though, I think a haynes would be helpful but...I am almost to the part where I can start pulling heads lol

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

I agree. When you get to the reassembly there are certain aspects that could cause you grief if you've done something wrong.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 73190 miles

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I have read through his thread many many times. It is the reason I even decided to go ahead and do this myself...little did I know, it skips through most of the conectors/tubes/other peripherals required to get to the intake and heads. Because of that, I have been slow going and cautious and even marking connectors and tubes as I go to make sure I can reasonably reassemble. I do agree though, I think a haynes would be helpful but...I am almost to the part where I can start pulling heads lol
Reverse the torque sequences on the rocker shaft and head bolts,and only back them out an 1/8th of a turn at a time, till they are all loose,and then wind them back in, in the same fashion following the torque sequence. The rocker shaft can bend if you remove or torque 1 bolt at a time.Pay attention to where the push rods go,as the intake and exhaust push rods are differant lengths,also make sure you look closely at how they are seated on re-assembly,as alot of guys have issues with misplaced push rods on re-assembly.

OP
OP
CunningStunt

CunningStunt

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Reverse the torque sequences on the rocker shaft and head bolts,and only back them out an 1/8th of a turn at a time, till they are all loose,and then wind them back in, in the same fashion following the torque sequence. The rocker shaft can bend if you remove or torque 1 bolt at a time.Pay attention to where the push rods go,as the intake and exhaust push rods are differant lengths,also make sure you look closely at how they are seated on re-assembly,as alot of guys have issues with misplaced push rods on re-assembly.
I have heard and read many accounts of the pushrods not being seated properly and to be mindful. Thank you for all the tips!

OP
OP
CunningStunt

CunningStunt

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Got the intake and drivers side valve cover off this evening. Should have the heads off tomorrow. Didn't run into any issues today but the connectors at the back of the intake were a bit of a pain to get to.

OP
OP
CunningStunt

CunningStunt

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Quick question, how hard should it be to turn the crank while heads/rockers still installed? I put a half inch drive on it and tried to turn and it turned but it was very tough.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Quick question, how hard should it be to turn the crank while heads/rockers still installed? I put a half inch drive on it and tried to turn and it turned but it was very tough.
Pull the plugs if you need to turn it over by hand for whatever reason makes it easier .

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
because you're not trying to compress air in the cylinder
Realized I worded that wrong was doing it on my phone of course I knew that lol

Meant pull the plugs if you need to turn it over by hand for whatever reason.