Camshaft swap in Ottawa?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Will_OT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anybody from the Ottawa Ontario region know of a good mechanic/garage I can take my 2014 Ram to for a camshaft swap and how much it might cost? I was thinking about getting one from Moe's but it's not something I'm comfortable with doing myself.

MoparBrent

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I will be following this. I’m down in Hamilton and have a hard time trusting people with my truck when it comes to a job I can’t handle fixing myself in my driveway.

As for cost I do know that we get hit hard up here. Expect about $3500-$4000+

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Anybody from the Ottawa Ontario region know of a good mechanic/garage I can take my 2014 Ram to for a camshaft swap and how much it might cost? I was thinking about getting one from Moe's but it's not something I'm comfortable with doing myself.

The cheapest cam you're gonna buy in Canada would be a Texas Speed and Performance (TSP) cam,through Chris Zelinsky/ Player 3 Performance Tuning in Edmonton.He's TSP's dealer and right now is selling their cams for his cost.You can find Chris or his company Player 3 on Facebook. My Jay Greene cam set me back over 4G Canuck and that was installing it in Kurtis Hollands /Charonblks shop with him/myself and my dealer tech buddy doing it,with no labour costs.Can't help you on the shop question though.Try asking about shops on Canadian SRT pages,there's a few guys from down east on it,and they might be able to help you out.

https://www.facebook.com/player3performance/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/484188681956391/

Worth reading Kurtis's excellent how-to on cam swapping the later VVT Hemi's.

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/how-to-4th-gen-hemi-cam-installation.82531/

Buddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For actual shops, CJR Performance in Toronto is a big Mopar tuner shop. They are situated and lightly associated with FCA dealership.

OP
OP
Will_OT

Will_OT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Moe's has cam's for around $800 US, but it's just finding a place to actually do the swap that's the issue. Toronto is a 4 hour drive, was hoping for something closer. What about a dealership? Would they do something like that?

Buddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Keep in mind there is the piece of mind factor. A quick trip to Toronto but it's one trip and done. I know CJR Performance has done a lot of work on Mopar products, they know these vehicles pretty well. When you leave you know it's all done and running right, tuning if you want too. I'm not trying to spend your money for you, just have learned from the past sometimes the initial higher route is usually the better to go with. Reality is it's probably 1 night in a hotel in Toronto. Head to Wonderland for a day :)

OP
OP
Will_OT

Will_OT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, I called CJR in Toronto and over the phone they quoted me $14 grand for the cam swap. But, that's with longtube headers, hellcat springs, MDS delete, custom dyno tuning, and some other stuff I've already forgotten (was still in sticker shock at the $14k!). The guy said he wouldn't be able to do anything until at least July as well, he has a lot full of Hellcat's, Trackhawks, and Redeye's waiting. I think he may be overkill for what I'm looking for, although he did really sound like he knew his stuff when it came to mopar.

I was hoping more for just swapping the cam and springs, and an email tune.

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Yeah, that’s 426 Hemi crate engine swap territory in U.S. dollars.

OP
OP
Will_OT

Will_OT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, that’s 426 Hemi crate engine swap territory in U.S. dollars.
In Canadian dollars I could probably get a 392 Hemi crate swap for that money, not sure about a 426. I'm finding it hard to believe no one in town wants to do this, starting to get a bit frustrated.

Buddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Be careful, as finding someone to do it vs someone that knows what they are doing. I think D&D may, or that shop in Greely?? Can't recall the name..... a performance shop.

OP
OP
Will_OT

Will_OT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I called Hinton Automotive, they've done cam swaps before due to the "hemi tick" so they seem to know what they're doing. They quoted me $2700. I also tried Atwill and they said 15 hours of labour so around $1650. But the Hinton guy was way more thorough in his quote, included head bolts, gaskets, fluids, re-machining the heads, etc... Atwill originally said around 10 hours labour until they found out the heads have to come off then they change it to "probably" 15 hours but didn't mention any extras.

$1650 however I may be able to swing, $2700 probably not as I still have to buy the cam so that would put me closer to $4k by time I'm done. But on the other hand Hinton really seemed to know what they were talking about and have experience whereas it doesn't sound like Atwill does as much.

Anyone have experience with either of these guys?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Will_OT

Will_OT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I called Stagra in Greely, they charge $4,000 but refuse to do the work if I supply the parts. Autovation in Stittsville want about $3,300. So it looks like it's going to cost at least $4.000 to get this done with the cost of parts which is about $1,500 more than I wanted to spend. Unless I can find someone cheaper I guess I'll just spend the money on a full exhaust or something instead. I'm calling a dealership now just to get a quote but I'm not too hopeful about it being much cheaper.