Cargo Sliding

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FtWorthRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello,
I have a new 23 Limited Longhorn, that has the factory spray in bed liner. I've ordered a tonneau cover for it, and wondered what people do do keep their cargo/luggage/etc.. from sliding around on the Rhino lined bed? I feel a piece of carpet would slide on it as well unless it was rubber-backed in some way?
Any thoughts, recommendations, or experiences here would be appreciated!?
Thank you!

Mike Wenrich

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2004.5, 2023 RAM 2500 Laramie 4x4
Engine
5.9 Diesel, 6.4 Hemi
You can purchase a rubber mat that will be cut to the shape of your bed, maybe from the same place you buy a tonneau cover. They are common to place under campers as well to keep from scraping the bed. I plan to buy another one for my new truck. Have one in the 8 foot bed of my older truck. Much easier on the knees too. I would not recommend carpet as it will hold moisture and you WILL get moisture in there from time to time.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have the spray-in liner also. I've just learned to live with stuff sliding. If I'm carrying something I don't want scratched, I'll toss an old blanket under it but it is what it is. The first week I had the truck back in March, I had an old battery sitting just inside the tailgate. Had to hit the brakes at a light harder than I had anticipated and it slid forward fast and slammed the inside of the front and dented it. So now the bed has been broken in and I don't worry about it anymore.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
several companies sell Bed Mats or Bed Tred
They will slow down the sliding, but anything will slide if you Brake or Accelerate harshly

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
I just cut a board and put that across to hold small items. There's recessed spots in the bed to hold the board. I used a second board and some dividers to make an assembly organizer. Anything else on the other side of the divider hits the 5th wheel.

(Best pic I got on file @ the moment)

Attachments

• 20230812_134915.jpg
    20230812_134915.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 49

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I keep a piece of plywood, cut to the bed size and have a 2" piece of webbing with a ratcheting cam passing under the plywood.

I've moved fridges, snow blowers, mattresses and lots of other stuff with this same setup for about 15 years. And yes, gravity is my friend, at least in this instance.

If I'm carrying smaller items like jerry cans, I drop them into a big rubbermaid container and lash them down under the webbing.

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had a bed rug in my 95 and loved it. My current truck has the spray in bed liner, and I have a rubber mat on top of that. Items pretty well stay in place with out sliding with the rubber mat.

DanAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I put a bed rug on my tailgate but a rubber mat in the bed. I was afraid the bed rug might be prone to tears or rips when loading lumber or things with sharp corners/edges on it. Is it tougher than that for ordinary use?

ncbeachbum

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8
I put a Bed Rug and tri-fold tonneau cover on my 2014 when I bought it new. It now has 194,000 miles on it with no damage to the Bed Rug. I have used it for three moves, to haul new lumber and scrap lumber. I have moved all kinds of items with no damage. Best of all it is comfortable to crawl around on when loading, unloading and tying down stuff. If I bought a new truck, one of the first things I would do would be to order a Bed Rug (and tonneau cover).Bed Rug.jpg

chopperdog45

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7
I put a bed rug on my tailgate but a rubber mat in the bed. I was afraid the bed rug might be prone to tears or rips when loading lumber or things with sharp corners/edges on it. Is it tougher than that for ordinary use?
I have moved all sorts of things and have not ripped or torn my BedRug yet. I suppose it is possible, but it seem like it is pretty durable.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have moved all sorts of things and have not ripped or torn my BedRug yet. I suppose it is possible, but it seem like it is pretty durable.

How fast does the BedRug dry after getting wet or rained on and does moisture soak through to the underside?

I have a cover but often toss wet kayaks in there or wet scuba gear.