Consider this air horn install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bluetick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I'd like to install a single air horn on my 3500. I want to avoid attaching the compressor underneath because I live up north where they apply a chemical and salt combo to the roads, destroying anything including the roads. So I was thinking about mounting the compressor to the front wall of the bed where it's protectec by a tonneau. Then running the wire underneath along the frame to the right front fender where I'd use antenna mounts to attach the trumpet. The solenoid would then be protected by the hood and feed it through the firewall (next to the cb antenna coax) to a dash mounted switch.

To me this makes sense. But I'd like some opinions.

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
Do a search for ‘air horn mounts‘, tons of ideas. I’ve seen what you’ve described. Also have seen versions where the compressor is in a ram box, tool box etc. lots of ideas. I don’t have to worry about the rust issue out here, but keep it high and dry is always a good way to go :waytogo:

Last edited:

Connie Mack

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Diesel
Not sure what my dbi is but are loud. they are dual horns with the air compressor . I put them under my tool box just because they would not fit in the grill of my 03 4x4 2500 diesel. also was looking at a large air tank, here are the problems with that. must drain moisture all the time, also if you live in the south on the water like I do, not good. so i put everything in the toolbox, ran a button on the dash, works well.

Attachments

• 20221205_115813.jpg
    20221205_115813.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Outbreak

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Just put a solenoid on the tank drain and a switch in the truck. Then you can drain it super easy whenever you want.

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you're only doing a single horn, you can mount one under the hood by the fuse panel.

LugsLeadOut84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Electronic air horn like fire trucks?
You mean a "stutter horn"? Like on these rigs <--- I think they're, let's call it, "illegal" on non-emergency vehicles (in the same way you can't use red strobes or beacons). You can get electronic ones that simulate stutter horns but the decibel levels are much less and you don't "feel" it when they sound. I've been retired a few years and sometimes still miss being behind the blasts of those horns...

Phillyrube

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Whelen air horn module. Speaker in grill. Push button on floor.

Malodave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Here is my Nathan Airchime K5LA Train Horn Setup: There is a regulated tool port in the engine bay
and another with the full pressure of 200psi at the Tool Box in the Bed.

I had a Viair on my 2008 Big Horn. There are two 4.5 Gallon Aluminum tanks on the Frame rails.
It took 23 minutes to fill the tanks from 0 to 200 psi. I later picked up a York 210 AC compressor
from a 1973 Mercedes and made Brackets to mount it to the Hemi. I used a Hybrid Pulley on the
Alternator. Half Sepentine and half V Belt. This setup would do the same Tank fill up in 3 minutes
at idle. I plan to use a Sanden Compressor on my 2021 Laramie EcoDiesel.

Malodave

NathanAirchimeK5LA.jpg

RAM-YorkMount1.jpg

RAM-YorkMount2.jpg

RAM-YorkMount3 - Copy.jpg

RAM-YorkMount4.jpg

RAM-YorkMount5.jpg

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Plenty of room behind the fender

View attachment 510554
I’m thinking of this setup on the driver side and using the factory horn wire to power a solenoid for the horns. Planning on mounting a 2 gallon tank in passenger bed side and I have a viair 450 pump to go with it. May go with a bigger tank but have the 2 gallon from a blown compressor