Custom trany tune worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Noob2Trucks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Does it seem doable without the cam? I'm on 3.92, with the stock LSD (2WD), 1 3/4 headers, and a Vararam.

Are you using a window switch or just the wide-open throttle switch?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Does it seem doable without the cam? I'm on 3.92, with the stock LSD (2WD), 1 3/4 headers, and a Vararam.

Are you using a window switch or just the wide-open throttle switch?
Wide open throttle switch,but i have the arming switch mounted in the console,where it's easy to get at,so if things are sketchy,i can manually activate it,when i want.Invest in a bottle heater and nitrous pressure gauge,that way you can keep the bottle pressure sort of optimized. I have my 15 lb bottle mounted behind the drivers seat,so it's easy to get at,to open,and it's hid under an old suitcase,keeping it out of sight,lol.S hitty pic,but there's a 15lb bottle under the suitcase.I run a fuel pressure / nitrous pressure and A/Fr gauge in a pillar pod

Attachments

• DSCN3825.JPG
    DSCN3825.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4007.JPG
    IMG_4007.JPG
    142.8 KB · Views: 15

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
Wide open throttle switch,but i have the arming switch mounted in the console,where it's easy to get at,so if things are sketchy,i can manually activate it,when i want.Invest in a bottle heater and nitrous pressure gauge,that way you can keep the bottle pressure sort of optimized. I have my 15 lb bottle mounted behind the drivers seat,so it's easy to get at,to open,and it's hid under an old suitcase,keeping it out of sight,lol.S hitty pic,but there's a 15lb bottle under the suitcase.I run a fuel pressure / nitrous pressure and A/Fr gauge in a pillar pod
Somebodies packing.......LoL

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Hi guys, remember me?

I'm the thread asking about custom trany tuning, not laughing gas:slap:
Post #4 you said you were going to talk to HF,well what did you decide,did you spring for the tranny tune or not?? Threads get side tracked,it's a forum,that's what happens,it's easier if you learn to accept that fact.

OP
OP
16WhiteQC

16WhiteQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Post #4 you said you were going to talk to HF,well what did you decide,did you spring for the tranny tune or not?? Threads get side tracked,it's a forum,that's what happens,it's easier if you learn to accept that fact.
I know they do, which is why i'm not "search" **** and was being a smart ass with my post lol.

I have talked to HF, FRP and JG however I have not made a decision just yet.

I did get my used PCM off ebay finally and it looks clean/good.

I am honestly stuck between HF and JG at this time, FRP is just too much $$ due to having to go the HPtuner route. I.E. non bundled I3 from HF is $918, JG is $1,043 and FRP was $1,350 due to having to get the HPtuner setup.

At this time I am leaning towards JG for the extra $$ due to the free updates and getting a couple tune for the $$, I.E. a 87tune for winter and a 93tune for summer along with eyeing up Kooks shorties at some point.

I am not in a rush and yes I will be going with a trany tune. Both vendors I am shopping say they can have my truck shifting like a Charger scat pack in sport mode, which is what I am after.

And WTF Ram, how do you offer a "sport" truck with no sport setting like the LX cars!

HuskerRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Sorry for the ignorant question, but with a FRP tune with HPTuners, do you need a new ECM also for the 2015+ crowd? I know you do for Diablo tuners, but wasn't sure about the HPTuner setup.

OP
OP
16WhiteQC

16WhiteQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sorry for the ignorant question, but with a FRP tune with HPTuners, do you need a new ECM also for the 2015+ crowd? I know you do for Diablo tuners, but wasn't sure about the HPTuner setup.
Yes, all 15+ need unlocked PCM's in order to do and real tuning/adjustments

shaggymatt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a stage 2 tuned Audi SQ5 which I recently parted ways with because I was never driving it. That car has the same ZF transmission in it, ironically so does my boat. I had a transmission tune on that vehicle from the same company who did the ECU tuning. The fastest SQ5's (11.010 @ 123.66) were running the HP tuners TCU tune.

The transmission tune made a huge difference, even in day to day driving on that vehicle.

OP
OP
16WhiteQC

16WhiteQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I3 ordered from Diablo, waiting for it to come in to send the PCM in to be unlocked.

Talked with JG again, I will be spending a few more $$ and going with him for my tune(s).

Will update with my thoughts once this is all set.

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'm with you on the cost of the tune. I don't have a need to spend the money on the performance tune but would love for the transmission shifts to firm and speed up. I miss the good old days of just installing a shift kit.

Tyler Yates

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HP Tuner cost more because it actually does way more. Buy once cry once.
For these trucks, diablo and hptuners do the same thing. MULTIPLE 426 supercharged rams being tuned with diablo.

Tyler Yates

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I3 ordered from Diablo, waiting for it to come in to send the PCM in to be unlocked.

Talked with JG again, I will be spending a few more $$ and going with him for my tune(s).

Will update with my thoughts once this is all set.
Jay Greene is fantastic to work with. He is very knowledgeable with hemis and these trucks. I dont understand the comments about his transmissions tunes not being figured out. I switched from him once (big mistake) and the transmission was awful and all over the place with shift points. Got back with him and got a trans tune again. Nice and crisp up to 6400 and shifts like a dream.

Tyler Yates

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am well aware of that, but If I plan to stay almost 100% bolt on and not chasing hp/time slips its not worth it for me at this time.
Mutiple supercharged, stroked, whatever else rams running with tuning through diablo and setting records.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For these trucks, diablo and hptuners do the same thing. MULTIPLE 426 supercharged rams being tuned with diablo.

Yeah I know dude, The fact that I can do my own adjustment with HP Tuners instead of emailing my Tuner for it and having to wait a couple of days was worth the extra money for me. and the best Dyno shop in town also Uses HP Tuner exclusively witch I plan of using once my 8 speed swap is done.

I used to have a Diablo and Im glad I switched to a more usable platform. And with all the heavy MODs im planning , SGA also requires HP Tuners.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Mutiple supercharged, stroked, whatever else rams running with tuning through diablo and setting records.
Funny how Rick switched from Diablo to Ryan Hogan and HP to set the all time fastest 4th Gen record with a naturally aspirated 454 Ram,lol.Alot of the better tuners have abandoned Diablo for HP. It's 2022 ya gotta get with the times,Diablo is so 2015,lol:Big Laugh:Just razzing ya Tyler,Diablo will still work for alot of guys,but HP is the better tuning platform.

Last edited:

Tyler Yates

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Funny how Rick switched from Diablo to Ryan Hogan and HP to set the all time fastest 4th Gen record with a naturally aspirated 454 Ram,lol.Alot of the better tuners have abandoned Diablo for HP. It's 2022 ya gotta get with the times,Diablo is so 2015,lol:Big Laugh:Just razzing ya Tyler,Diablo will still work for alot of guys,but HP is the better tuning platform.
That man has dropped so much weight out of his ram. Thats why hes as fast as he is being NA. If the supercharged guys could stop breaking stuff and get a solid run he would be left in the dust. I still will defend Diablo tho. For the vast majority of people getting their trucks tuned its a lot more user friendly.