Dealership said my starter is bad

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JaneMaxwell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
2015 Ram. Is it normal for a starter to go up in 6 years?
Is $895 a normal price to fix it?
I legit almost passed out when the dealership called and gave me the news. I thought it was the battery. Recently widowed and know nothing about my Ram except how to drive it.
Please help.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Not a common failure for a non-rust belt 2015, but like anything mechanical, you never know.

Not too surprised on the price. They're probably quoting you for a new genuine mopar starter and ~$150/hr labor. $900 and I'm assuming plus tax, etc is insane IMO.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
That would seem like a Battery or Starter Solenoid or possibly a wiring issue at the starter.

with a 6 year old Ram, unless you have an extended warranty
I would look online for a AUTO ELECTRIC shop & look up their reputation

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Find out of dealer warranties the work for a year or 6 mos, because no it isn't expected at this mileage which means it could be a short, and if it is a short in the wire, you will lose another starter before you find out. Last starter I paid 350 for to be put in, was in the 1980's, so yeah that is fair for a dealer price, and if they warranty the work, it might be smart to get it done there in case it goes out again, and that is what happens when starters go out, click click but nothing else. I would look at dyi as a possibility, anyone there to help?

what is a hemi 6.1 made in 2015?

Lyle Longboat

2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport CC
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just changed mine as all
I got was a clicking when I tried to start. Before that, you it wouldn’t start at random times. Then last week, would not start at all. l even had a new battery installed and nothing. Switch out my starter today and she fired right up. This starter that went was bought and installed in Jan 2019. Yes, anything is possible lol
My total cost? $210 CAD and a cut on my knuckle.

Elvira

Reaction score
I think 900 and change plus tax is way over priced for a starter, Mopar part or not...I am sure you can find an independent garage that will fix for far less. Lasting 6 yrs, well you can't tell about mechanical and electrical parts, failure is a common occurance for anything manufactured.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Dealers charge more the 900 bucks for a transmission oil change in that truck, it is what it is. Yes go to independent. But, how did the dealer look at it, you towed it there? So then you would have to tow to independent?

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Avoid Stealer****s and MOPAR parts at all cost. Unless you like overpaying for mediocre quality... lol... :)

OP
OP
JaneMaxwell

JaneMaxwell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Find out of dealer warranties the work for a year or 6 mos, because no it isn't expected at this mileage which means it could be a short, and if it is a short in the wire, you will lose another starter before you find out. Last starter I paid 350 for to be put in, was in the 1980's, so yeah that is fair for a dealer price, and if they warranty the work, it might be smart to get it done there in case it goes out again, and that is what happens when starters go out, click click but nothing else. I would look at dyi as a possibility, anyone there to help?

what is a hemi 6.1 made in 2015?

OP
OP
JaneMaxwell

JaneMaxwell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
No, I have no one to help. I have to have to have it fixed at a shop.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Just for p00p and laughter I priced replacement starters off the Rock auto for my 2019 Ram 1500 classic w/ hemi. They range anywhere from $70 to $145. They're all remanufactured.

Another issue today is finding a shop that can fit you in ASAP and not weeks down the road. They're all going to charge you a premium unless you know a guy, etc..etc.

Even if you went with a ~$150 "premium" parts store replacement starter and an hour of labor, that dealer price is like a 300% mark up.

OP
OP
JaneMaxwell

JaneMaxwell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Dealers charge more the 900 bucks for a transmission oil change in that truck, it is what it is. Yes go to independent. But, how did the dealer look at it, you towed it there? So then you would have to tow to independent?
Yes it was towed there $80 I would have to tow it to another place.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Sorry to hear the problems, next time go to independent shop for stuff like this from the jump. Up to you at this point, maybe ask if there is any way they can do it for less, sometimes that stuff works. Before you decide, you can call a local shop to you and ask what they would charge. If you have no general attachment to this truck, it is a great time to trade it in or sell it outright, big bucks for rams right now, like never before.

OP
OP
JaneMaxwell

JaneMaxwell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I got was a clicking when I tried to start. Before that, you it wouldn’t start at random times. Then last week, would not start at all. l even had a new battery installed and nothing. Switch out my starter today and she fired right up. This starter that went was bought and installed in Jan 2019. Yes, anything is possible lol
Mine never showed any signs of trouble
Mine never showed any signs of trouble. Always fired up fine. I didn’t start it for two days , went out there to go somewhere and it was dead. Tried to jump it and nothing. The wrecker guy tried and nothing. I can’t do stuff myself and they will take advantage of me because they know, I don’t know.

OP
OP
JaneMaxwell

JaneMaxwell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Sorry to hear the problems, next time go to independent shop for stuff like this from the jump. Up to you at this point, maybe ask if there is any way they can do it for less, sometimes that stuff works. Before you decide, you can call a local shop to you and ask what they would charge. If you have no general attachment to this truck, it is a great time to trade it in or sell it outright, big bucks for rams right now, like never before.
I am attached.. my husband bought it for me before he died… but I have thought of trading it with gas prices being so insane.

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage
And even bigger bucks for what you can find to upgrade with