Dealership said my starter is bad

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have all diesels except for my 1965 produced '66 charger. They sure wanted to gouge her on the starter. Msrp from factory is 150. I hear ya on the cut. Mine is more like 18 minutes and ripping skin off my arms, at 80 my skin is pretty thin. I cheat with a lift in my shop and still **** my 51 year old wife off. Keeps telling me she is going to put a chain on me, to stop me working on cars. I've tried to tell her its just a little blood, not like I'm going to die or something.
My wife, if she was still around would say: **** (S T F U), too far from yer heart, LOL.

Last edited:

Msko

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hv a 2015 1500 starter went out at 50,000 miles so it does happen. Don’t know dealer costs as i fix mine myself but at $900sounds like they should be throwing in some complimentary lube…..

FAAQ2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 L Diesel
Look foran Auto- electric shop - check their reputation and have them do the work. Most dealerships are gold plated repairs and parts prices. Unless your
truck is under warranty or a recall I would have someone else do it. I do own a 2015 Ram 1500 Diesel - runs great (fingers crossed)

gilbertobv

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have a 08 Ram. I bought it new from the dealer. After 13 years never have had an issue with the stater. It has the original one. Check in an electric shop for other issues.

OP
OP
JaneMaxwell

JaneMaxwell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Glad you got someone reasonable. Are you near Wilmington? A guy I used to work with has a shop there I can recommend for future work.
Thank you! I am near Charlotte.

OP
OP
JaneMaxwell

JaneMaxwell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have all diesels except for my 1965 produced '66 charger. They sure wanted to gouge her on the starter. Msrp from factory is 150. I hear ya on the cut. Mine is more like 18 minutes and ripping skin off my arms, at 80 my skin is pretty thin. I cheat with a lift in my shop and still **** my 51 year old wife off. Keeps telling me she is going to put a chain on me, to stop me working on cars. I've tried to tell her its just a little blood, not like I'm going to die or something.
Oh gosh! I would be freaking out too!

demonram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Have you had the battery checked just to be sure it isn't that? That should be the first item checked, especially if that is the original battery. And as has been advised by several on here, if it does turn out to be the starter, take it to an independent mechanic for replacement.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've had work performed at dealers a few times, and they've done a good job for me. Usually very specific and targeted work that would have taken a non-factory dealer much longer to figure out. So they're not all bad. Normally I do all my own work on my older vehicles.

I have a buddy who's been taking his cars to a certain Ford dealer for ..IDK 35 years. Curiously they never really tried to screw him believe it or not. And he had gotten to know several of the people there. NOW ....that dealership was always family-owned and operated, I knew the owner pretty well actually. It was recently purchased by a large dealer 'group' so we'll see how things change. He's a little nervous next time he takes his car in. They're probably going to want to sell frivalous unneeded work to bolster their bottom line.

Part of it is knowing what questions to ask and cross-examine why the price is so high, and going back and asking them to sharpen their pencil if/when the price is high. That's difficult for someone with limited mechanical knowledge to do.

Lyle Longboat

2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport CC
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Much respect to you my good Sir!

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I would like that. I enjoyed working on cars with my dad but I’m too decrepit now.
Did you get your truck back yet ? I am curious .
Welcome to the group. As you have seen good people here and we also have a few lady RAM drivers :)
So any issue you may get ask about them here and the gear heads will do their best to guide you in the right direction !

Selcher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Not sure if it's been mentioned yet as I didn't read all the comments but if it's a 1500 they come with 3 different alternators... A 160 amp, 180 amp and 220 amp depending on model and trim / options. Sounds like you got a quote on the 220 amp one. My 2015 came with a 160 amp and parts stores and the dealer always quoted prices on the 220 amp.

OP
OP
JaneMaxwell

JaneMaxwell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Did you get your truck back yet ? I am curious .
Welcome to the group. As you have seen good people here and we also have a few lady RAM drivers :)
So any issue you may get ask about them here and the gear heads will do their best to guide you in the right direction !
Yes I did! She’s running like a champ! But now the tire pressure light is on ugh.