Did Redline Oil work against your Hemi Tick?

Did redline kill your hemi tick?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did an oil change on a GM 6.2 L86. After a few drives it seems that the valve train is quieter. Going to keep checking but the Red Line seems to be working its magic on this motor as well!

Last edited:

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
I did an oil change on a GM 6.2 L86. After a few drives it seems that the valve train is quieter. Going to keep checking but the Red Line seems to be working its magic on this motor as well!

How many miles on it? I was curious too when I bought my wife's 09 Yukon Denali. Has 90k miles. Not that I've oned a lot of research but looked a bit and didn't see any info on that motor needing anything special. I decided to go with qsud and a wix xp filter. I'll just change the oil a little more often on it. I have a couple bottles of lubeguard at home. Was going to throw one in but haven't yet. Motor is very quiet. That was the first thing I checked when we looked at it.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How many miles on it? I was curious too when I bought my wife's 09 Yukon Denali. Has 90k miles. Not that I've oned a lot of research but looked a bit and didn't see any info on that motor needing anything special. I decided to go with qsud and a wix xp filter. I'll just change the oil a little more often on it. I have a couple bottles of lubeguard at home. Was going to throw one in but haven't yet. Motor is very quiet. That was the first thing I checked when we looked at it.

Currently has 36k on it. The 09 i dont believe has AFM on it. AFM, similar to RAM's MDS is making lifters noisy and in some cases fail. Quality oil and shorter OCI are key for the newer motors with AFM.

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
Currently has 36k on it. The 09 i dont believe has AFM on it. AFM, similar to RAM's MDS is making lifters noisy and in some cases fail. Quality oil and shorter OCI are key for the newer motors with AFM.

Correct, that's why I bought an 09. From what I read it has the afm hardware but no software to activate it.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
So we had a forum member report after a second try at 5w20 redline it has now twice failed to keep the tick away that his 5w30 redline kept quiet, and soon as he went back to 5w30 redline the truck went silent again. So for him it is the combo of the formula and viscosity that kills his tick, he has also tried many other oils and heavy viscosities but the 5w30 redline is what kills his tick, reporting for @Hemi395.

I believe he had similar success 0w30 redline during winter.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So we had a forum member report after a second try at 5w20 redline it has now twice failed to keep the tick away that his 5w30 redline kept quiet, and soon as he went back to 5w30 redline the truck went silent again. So for him it is the combo of the formula and viscosity that kills his tick, he has also tried many other oils and heavy viscosities but the 5w30 redline is what kills his tick, reporting for @Hemi395.

I believe he had similar success 0w30 redline during winter.

Yessir, RL 5w30 and 0w30 in the winter are what my Hemi likes. I developed a nasty passengers side tick on RL 5w20 after only 300 miles. Bad enough it was echoing off of fences and houses going down the road. With RL 5w30 back in its smooth as silk again. Crazy.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
So 10w30 redline is a great formula, no viscosity improvers, and yet for some reason doesn't have the same success rate at killing ticks, but worth a try. My truck was butter smooth on 5w20 and 5w30 redline, had a slight tick on 10w30 redline. I doubt you will find it in hawaii, but oddly 0w30 has decent success at killing ticks, which makes like no sense, but yet it happens. I'd try 10w30 and see if it works and what level it works at, and let us know all available options, in any weights over there. Can you get additive lubegard biotech? Amazon wont ship there?

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
RL 5w-30 fixed the tick in my '14 5.7 Hemi. Will RL 10w-30 work as well? can't find 5w-30 around here any more.
Contact Nick @Nick@GotExhaust he can hook you up. Take it from someone who has tried many oils, if Redline 5w30 works you want to keep using it[emoji106]

Last edited:

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

rogelio808

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Last year I got RL 5w-30 from amazon, so couple of days ago I tried reorder it from them but now they can't ship it to Hawaii any more. Here is the odd part, they can ship 10w-30.

rogelio808

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I tried from 'gotexhaust.com" online, they don't ship to Hawaii.