Edge Pulsar up indates

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dearchristopher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I run 89 anyway so stepping up to 91 would not be that bad of a jump.
I doubt I would ever take it off number 8 if I get one, got the extra power I haft to have to..lol :)

well you're already halfway there if you're on 89! the bump to 91 isn't bad. I have a half tank of 89 in the truck right now, and it didn't seem to mind 89 on level 8. no pinging. i usually try to hit 91 or 93.

i think you'd like a pulsar if you picked one up. especially if swapping PCM and going custom route isn't appealing to you

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have been using 89 since I got pulsar with no issues whatsoever. The last tank I put in 91 to see if it made a difference and it didnt seem so. I filled up ystrday with 89 again. Of course im going off butt dyno and the feel of the truck on normal driving and hard acceleration. Seems good with 89

HDHNTER

US AIR FORCE VETERAN OEF - OIF
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I have been using 89 since I got pulsar with no issues whatsoever. The last tank I put in 91 to see if it made a difference and it didnt seem so. I filled up ystrday with 89 again. Of course im going off butt dyno and the feel of the truck on normal driving and hard acceleration. Seems good with 89
Same here, 89 / Level 8 / City +3 = Love it!

HDHNTER

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Im just wondering what kind of hoops us existing customers will have to spend...i mean jump through to get a update

I just called Edge in hopes that they would send me the OBDII cable, no luck. They are requiring owners send their Pulsars in to have the update applied.... highly disappointed to hear this news.

dearchristopher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just called Edge in hopes that they would send me the OBDII cable, no luck. They are requiring owners send their Pulsars in to have the update applied.... highly disappointed to hear this news.

that's gonna be a no from me. I'm not mailing something back in to the company for an update that can be applied with a computer. is there a usb port on the pulsar? I don't remember one.

HDHNTER

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
that's gonna be a no from me. I'm not mailing something back in to the company for an update that can be applied with a computer. is there a usb port on the pulsar? I don't remember one.

The Pulsar is updated via a USB cable that connects a laptop to the OBDII port in the cab. Yeah, I'm not overly keen on going w/out the Pulsar for 1 - 2 weeks nor am I willing to roll the dice on a software flash that will require me to send it back if there is further debugging needed. Absolute BS to force owners to send them back when it's a simple 5 minute flash w/ a laptop. For what we paid, they should have included the fricken cable. ****, I'd happily buy the damn cable to avoid removing the unit & shipping it back. Supremely annoyed w/ this news & was sure to express that to Edge.

TXCOMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Why not? You take your truck back to the dealership for updates...or don't you?

Seriously, though, I get it; I wouldn't want to remove mine, either, if the update process is straightforward. Thankfully, I don't have one and probably won't until updated versions are on the market and it's really bug-free (if there's such a thing these days).

TXCOMT

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Id be pretty ticked too, especially considering this thread was started by someone that they let update their unit manually.

Let everyone buy the cable and download the update. In this day and age thats how everything is done. We can install firmware updates on our phones and computers, why not on a tuner? There should be plenty of checks in place to make sure the file is legit (both genuine and not damaged) before flashing can even begin, so Im not sure what they are worried about.

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That probably would work, just need the program sent to registered owners.
This is sure getting convoluted. Almost makes me wanna say f@#k it and get a REAL tune

HDHNTER

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
The program is on the fusion update.com site. The file is ignition updater. I think anyone can just go download it.

Downloaded the update... hunting for the elusive cable. Just got off the line w/ Holley, the USB end is their product but the cable as a whole is manufactured by PowerTeq. Confirmed that it's not something they have in their inventory.

dearchristopher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Why not? You take your truck back to the dealership for updates...or don't you?

Seriously, though, I get it; I wouldn't want to remove mine, either, if the update process is straightforward. Thankfully, I don't have one and probably won't until updated versions are on the market and it's really bug-free (if there's such a thing these days).

TXCOMT

I just don’t want to go through a 5-7 business day downtime where I can’t use something I paid 500 bucks for. especially if usb updates are a thing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HDHNTER

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
might be worth trying to that price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wouldn't we need the Male OBD2 port connector rather than the Female version?
Georgiasport, please confirm which style is on the cable Edge sent you.

Thanks,
Allen

6ff82f7d5efcc571c1a763b0cd631aad.jpg

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Doing some more digging it looks like a universal adapter might not work depending on the controller being used. The PowerTEQ cable looks to be using the Holley CAN interface from the ****** EFI with an OBD2 plug from PowerTEQ instead of the EFI plug. I downloaded the ****** EFI packages to take a look at the driver and see if I can find an interface that might work.

https://www.holley.com/products/fue...i/sniper_efi_service_components/parts/558-443

Edit:
I was not fruitful. Looks like Holley is using the winusb drivers in windows with a device ID specific to them. Without dissecting the cable there's no real way to know what it really is and even if so an aftermarket controller would need to be flashed or a modded Holley EFI driver loaded for Ignition to drive it.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...c-installation-of--winusb-without-an-inf-file

The only thing I was able to confirm is that Ignition installs the same Holley Driver as the ****** EFI package so I'd say with 99% confidence its the same controller tied into one of the can lines via the OBD2 connector.

Last edited:

HDHNTER

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Doing some more digging it looks like a universal adapter might not work depending on the controller being used. The PowerTEQ cable looks to be using the Holley CAN interface from the ****** EFI with an OBD2 plug from PowerTEQ instead of the EFI plug. I downloaded the ****** EFI packages to take a look at the driver and see if I can find an interface that might work.

https://www.holley.com/products/fue...i/sniper_efi_service_components/parts/558-443

Edit:
I was not fruitful. Looks like Holley is using the winusb drivers in windows with a device ID specific to them. Without dissecting the cable there's no real way to know what it really is and even if so an aftermarket controller would need to be flashed or a modded Holley EFI driver loaded for Ignition to drive it.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...c-installation-of--winusb-without-an-inf-file

The only thing I was able to confirm is that Ignition installs the same Holley Driver as the ****** EFI package so I'd say with 99% confidence its the same controller tied into one of the can lines via the OBD2 connector.

Thanks for the info. Awfully tempting to spend the $16 for the Ebay option & give it a go but not trying to brick my Pulsar w/ the wrong cable.