For the guys who think they get more power with 91 octane fuel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Hey you bandit, it's good to see you again. Your truck with the 10.9:1 SRT 6.4 will require 91 :waytogo:
Yeah out in camp kinda bored figured I'd lurk. It's been a loooong whyle since I been on here.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Some of you guys with stock trucks need to watch this video

Are you seriously going to trot out some Science here?
I mean, Really?

Listen up, Nerd Boys.

The Twin Stripes of Mopar Power Rubber I lay with 91 octane is Darker, Thicker and Longer than 87 Octane.
Not to menton, that light gray Cloud smells so much better.
Science be Damned.

Science said;
Asbestos was good.
Don't spank Little Johnny
... and a whole ton of crap that good old Common Sense says is Wrong.

S C I E N C E?

Bring Science out when we are measuring Mammoth Mammaries or calculating Rocket Re-entries.

When it comes to Horse Power, all we need is our Arses, and Shift Eating Grins, to tell us whats what.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Wow...members take time to share datalogs with explanations and new guys just blow it off.

I mean, what's the point of being here beyond flouting ignorance? Sad.

That's the problem with forums etc, it's a great equalizer and everybody's opinion can get weighted equally even though they shouldn't. Those data logs from hemi395 and other guys on youtube are what I'm going with. I run 89 at minimum, the logs show that 91 will still offer some additional benefit so I use that in the hot summer while towing.

I didn't watch the video as my mind is 100% made up at this point (first because of what I hear, and second because of the evidence in the data logs), but unless they specifically test the hemi then it doesn't really matter much for us. Engines have different tunes and timing and compression ratios and tendency for heat soak, all that matters very much and is different for different engines.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is just like the oil and oil filter trends. It’s all a placebo that make people feel better.

FYI, we have a fleet of vehicles and run the cheapest oil, filter and fuel we can get. No problems to date besides normal maintenance…. LMAO
That may be true of many vehicles but I think just throwing any old oil that barely meets the spec in the crank of a Hemi engine is rolling the dice unnecessarily. Just my two cents worth.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Trudeau would find me .... "unacceptable". :cheers:
Hahaha what do we do with "these" people haha. Can't wait till he's gone! Good news is I Havnt paid any carbon tax this year with all the freziel fuel I've been burning from work in my diesel

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Same here ... my truck is like like Scarlett Johansson in Lucy, the average HEMI on 89 and 87 uses 10% of it's brain capacity, with 91 it's like Lucy using 100% of it !!!
Can someone please explain, to me, what is wrong with girls, who look like Scarlett Johansson and only use 10% of their brain?

I thought that's why God invented Alcohol..... to help reduce female Critical Thinking.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
Can someone please explain, to me, what is wrong with girls, who look like Scarlett Johansson and only use 10% of their brain?

I thought that's why God invented Alcohol..... to help reduce female Critical Thinking.
Absolutely nothing !!! have you seen the movie Lucy she's in ?

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I seriously doubt you are getting better MPGs with 87 but I will give you the benefit out of the bout lol ..
Comparing gas mileage based on a few tanks or a small number of experiences is not conclusive, nor can it be unless the driving cycle is exactly the same between fuels. Individual result is meaningless. Fuel comparisons should be evaluated as an average change over many miles or tanks of fuel.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 80003 miles

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
For what I pay for the OEM plugs, and the opportunity to wrench on my truck (albeit a PITA with the plugs at the firewall), and more importantly the experience for my little daughter to sit on the fender with her legs inside, getting greasy helping me out, is worth every penny!

I also don't disagree that the plugs can last longer and run well for longer durations, however, my peace of mind and a clean spark keeping my HEMI happy is worth it too. The parts industry makes money off me, yes, but I sleep well at night and know that I can hop in my vehicle and drive across country at a moments notice and have full confidence that I'll have zero issues.

Hell, I replace my serp belt, and the idler and tensioner pulleys too at 60,000KM's as part of my full tune up maintenance regimen. Plus a coolant flush and fill and a new OEM thermostat as well as a PCV valve. I clean my TB twice a year too!

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
For what I pay for the OEM plugs, and the opportunity to wrench on my truck (albeit a PITA with the plugs at the firewall), and more importantly the experience for my little daughter to sit on the fender with her legs inside, getting greasy helping me out, is worth every penny!

I also don't disagree that the plugs can last longer and run well for longer durations, however, my peace of mind and a clean spark keeping my HEMI happy is worth it too. The parts industry makes money off me, yes, but I sleep well at night and know that I can hop in my vehicle and drive across country at a moments notice and have full confidence that I'll have zero issues.

Hell, I replace my serp belt, and the idler and tensioner pulleys too at 60,000KM's as part of my full tune up maintenance regimen. Plus a coolant flush and fill and a new OEM thermostat as well as a PCV valve. I clean my TB twice a year too!
Install a catch can,and you'll cut your throttle body cleaning down to once every couple years,plus keep the inside of the intake alot cleaner

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What PID are you guys checking knock with?

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Aside from the octane issue, there is potentially another reason to buy more octane than required. Last year when I was running Delta Sonic fuel (because it was the cheapest around) I noticed less than a smooth idle after a few months of use. About four tanks of Mobil 91 with the advertised 2X detergent package, the idle returned to glass-like smoothness.

I've since gone back to Sunoco 87 which, so far, seems to run well.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 80144 miles