How To Add Heated/Ventelated seats and Heated Wheel to Express/Tradesman

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just a little update. Had a friend with a scanner who was able to turn on my seats. My next question is can i just buy the switch and have the seats heated without doing clockspring?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Yes you should be able too. There were a few guys with the seats working before they got there steering wheels installed.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

jrome

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Thanks for the response. Im still gonna do it all but i figured i buy the switch first to give some more hope of all this working. Would hate for this to all be a waste. Im really happy it turned on though

OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What year was your truck? I forgot.

jrome

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
2015 outdoorsman.

OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OK what tool did you use to activate the codes?

jrome

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Not sure exactly but it was expensive. It was called a maxx. Couldnt change my tpms though. Its the 4th different scanner that has tried.

OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Okay I'm not sure about that tool. The AE tool works great to turn on the codes. The codes are actually in two places in the BCM. I belive it's Vehicle Configuration#3 and ECU Memory#5. Pretty sure that's it but not positive none the less. In some cases the seats will work by simply turning on the codes in the Vehicle Configuration. In other cases the seats will not work unless the codes are activated in both Vehicle Configuration and ECU Memory. What I'm saying is do not get discouraged if your seats and up not working. If they don't work you mostly don't have all the codes activated I wish I could help you but I'm not familiar with the tool he used. We have had great success with AE tool activating the seat codes. I don't know of anyone that has not been able to get them to work.

jrome

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
It seemed very easy. He went right in there and turned them on. He could turn them up and down. It even appeared in my radio screen. He sure thought throw some buttons in there and it would for sure work.

OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It seemed very easy. He went right in there and turned them on. He could turn them up and down. It even appeared in my radio screen. He sure thought throw some buttons in there and it would for sure work.

The codes for seat temp are in the ECU Memory section. You may be fine. If you put in the switches and the seats don't work check with him and see if he activated the codes in the Vehicle Configuration section.

jrome

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Got the switches and clockspring today. So far only installed the buttons and the seats work. Lights up on radio and buttons. Does anyone have a video on swapping wheel or should i just have the dealer do it? Any info would help. Thanks guys for all your help!! Im so glad this worked so far

OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Got the switches and clockspring today. So far only installed the buttons and the seats work. Lights up on radio and buttons. Does anyone have a video on swapping wheel or should i just have the dealer do it? Any info would help. Thanks guys for all your help!! Im so glad this worked so far

Removing get the steering wheel and installing the new steering wheel and clockspring is not necessarily hard. Honestly the only part that even remotely a little difficult is removing the airbag if you haven't done it before. There's a pretty good video on YouTube about removing the airbag on these trucks. After the airbag is removed it's pretty straightforward. As I stated in an earlier post you just need to make sure you have the steering wheel centered when you install your new clock spring it's pretty simple.

jrome

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I did watch video and it doesnt seem very smart to do it with truck running or on. Undo battery terminals do take air bag out?

OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did watch video and it doesnt seem very smart to do it with truck running or on. Undo battery terminals do take air bag out?

I'm not sure which video you watched but the one I'm referring to the truck is turned off and the battery is disconnected. I think MP Grimm from M2 Mods posted the video but I'm not sure. Obviously you would never want to remove the airbag unless the truck was turned off and the battery was disconnected. There are three spring clips on the back of the airbag you have to pop off with a pick tool or screwdriver. The first time you do it is going to take you a little while to figure out how to pop them off once you've done a few it's actually pretty simple. If you don't feel comfortable doing it you may want to check with your dealer and see what they would charge you to switch it over. There have been a couple of guys that didn't feel comfortable doing it and just took it in and had it done.

jrome

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I did call them a few weeks ago. They said 270. In earlier post the one video i watched the guy had truck running and hooked to a scanner to make sure steering angle was on 0 or near. Thats my biggest concern. Id hate to bump something in there. He takes a pair of needle nose once the clockspring is out and manipulates the steering angle and sets it on zero with his computer.

OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did call them a few weeks ago. They said 270. In earlier post the one video i watched the guy had truck running and hooked to a scanner to make sure steering angle was on 0 or near. Thats my biggest concern. Id hate to bump something in there. He takes a pair of needle nose once the clockspring is out and manipulates the steering angle and sets it on zero with his computer.

I have heard about that video but I have not seen it you do not have to do any of the stuff he did. It's a very straightforward process. As long as you have a clock spring that is locked on Center which if you bought a new one it should be it's a matter of removal and replace there's nothing to be disassembled or taken apart.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Info for removing the steering wheel is in cgeorgemo's DIY Steering wheel Audio Controls thread:
http://www.ramforum.com/showthread.php?p=872056

My airbag removal video is linked there as well ... Yeah disconnect the battery

M² Mods - From my non Flammable S7!
Thanks Grimm. Hopefully that will help him figure out which way he wants to go. I have heard of a few guys watching that other video and getting all confused and hesitant to try to replace the clock spring because they think there's much more involved in there actually is

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Motor City Mechanic I believe has a very good video YouTube video about the clockspring. I will look it up if I get the chance but I'm busy packing for 2 weeks of training out in OK.

M² Mods - From my non Flammable S7!

jrome

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Well while we have been talking and posting the job is done!! Everything works! I hope i dont run into any issues but so far everything works. Big thanks to everyone! Any questions to anyone wanting to upgrade i will be more than happy to help.

jrome

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Heres some pics391578fce03e83d46146215bbb2e80c7.jpgacec87f41722d316f41dd3f4a342e54e.jpg