How To: Install a 2018 4C (UAQ/UAS) Radio in 2013 - 2017 RAM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Try to play USB music/connect Android Auto or CarPlay through both ports... Only one will work for data until the change I believe

M² Mods.
Will do. I'll report my findings tomorrow. As of now I believe both ports work for Android Auto but only one port works for a USB flash drive.

I'm toying around with the idea of drilling a whole in the cup holder trim piece of my jumpseat to retain the cigarette lighter port too...just a thought though.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Try to play USB music/connect Android Auto or CarPlay through both ports... Only one will work for data until the change I believe

M² Mods.
Ok so the exact change is this...if you set it to AUX + USB + extra USB you get a second USB Menu Option on screen (USB 2)...

f3f35997322e08bc45c18ec26ca25f20.jpg

If you leave it set to AUX + USB, everything works, but a USB flash drive will only read from USB 1 (the plug on the left) and you will only have one USB option on screen.

Jeff Krawczyk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi guys I'm sure it's in here somewhere as I did search for awhile and did see some, but before i buy a 4c w/nav to install in my 2014 bighorn can somebody answer a few questions....will i lose my steering wheel controls...or any other controls for that matter...and besides the media hub is there anything else I need for install....will the hvac controls still work....is it worth buying the 4c for a 14 or should I keep my pioneer which I have android auto with, I just want to go back to OEM but hate to lose AA....Thanks for any info

Jeff Krawczyk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just figured i'd drop off my 2c as I was the first one to put one of these radios in a ram. The heated seat issue carries over to 15 also, not just 13-14s. The Durango Mount with a 30 second cut with a dremel will mount up fine using 2 screws in a ram. 2017 radios can be converted into 2018 radios. I have 3D printed adapters to use the 2018 Hub in a 13-17 lid with slight dremeling but will fit and look mostly stock.
So if I was to find a 2018 Durango radio I could dremel off one tab and still would be able to use it in my ram by using the other 2 mounting holes...thanks

rgardjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Hi guys I'm sure it's in here somewhere as I did search for awhile and did see some, but before i buy a 4c w/nav to install in my 2014 bighorn can somebody answer a few questions....will i lose my steering wheel controls...or any other controls for that matter...and besides the media hub is there anything else I need for install....will the hvac controls still work....is it worth buying the 4c for a 14 or should I keep my pioneer which I have android auto with, I just want to go back to OEM but hate to lose AA....Thanks for any info

Steering wheel controls will still work. On the 2014s the soft keys on the head unit for the heated/cooled seats and steering wheel won’t work without another hardware piece. The hard buttons on the dash will still work. There is an adapter cable need for the hub that is sold by Mpgrimm2. Not sure about the HVAC control stuff. My truck came with dual zone 7 speed fan and didn’t need anything extra to work.

Last edited:

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
(The 2018 6833xxxxAx Cherokee UAx radios have the correct mounts ... But slightly different SW).

Also... If you get a non ram 2018 radio (19 classic ok) then you may also have a difficult time getting the correct/compatible SW application version updates for it.. we have the latest v 22.6 updates for the 2 recommended USA ram radios listed in the OP.

** Really would need to know what your original trim, features, radio, & HVAC config is/was before your aftermarket upgrade and what you've done exactly

M² Mods.

JoeGo88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0
Is a radio part # 68331635AD one that is an 8.4” with CarPlay? I’ve tried googling and searching but was hoping I could get someone with more knowledge on it so I know for sure before I commit to buying. Thanks.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Two posts above yours is your answer.

Todd09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just figured i'd drop off my 2c as I was the first one to put one of these radios in a ram. The heated seat issue carries over to 15 also, not just 13-14s. The Durango Mount with a 30 second cut with a dremel will mount up fine using 2 screws in a ram. 2017 radios can be converted into 2018 radios. I have 3D printed adapters to use the 2018 Hub in a 13-17 lid with slight dremeling but will fit and look mostly stock.

Todd09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is a radio part # 68331635AD one that is an 8.4” with CarPlay? I’ve tried googling and searching but was hoping I could get someone with more knowledge on it so I know for sure before I commit to buying. Thanks.
What do you mean you can covert 17 into 18 ?

Todd09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have a 17 Ram 1500 went from 8.4 non nav to a UAQ. Has anyone been able to get traffic to work on factory nav ? Also Sirius guardian does not work does this go hand in hand with traffic ?

jvbuttex

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I-6
Ok so the exact change is this...if you set it to AUX + USB + extra USB you get a second USB Menu Option on screen (USB 2)...

If you leave it set to AUX + USB, everything works, but a USB flash drive will only read from USB 1 (the plug on the left) and you will only have one USB option on screen.

Yes this is it. I finished my install last night, it would only see the 1 USB port. I made the switch with Alpha, called it a night. Got out this AM going to gym, switched my usb from slot 1 to slot 2 and it read both ports just fine...

I had doubts yesterday during the install. There is actually 2 connections on the back of the 2018 USB hub vs my 2015 stock hub. Grey and Black. We only have a grey connector. I didn't know if it would work. but after watching MPGrimms vid, i had faith. Sure enough after Alpha settings, works just fine.

Whats the 2nd connection for??

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Yes this is it. I finished my install last night, it would only see the 1 USB port. I made the switch with Alpha, called it a night. Got out this AM going to gym, switched my usb from slot 1 to slot 2 and it read both ports just fine...

I had doubts yesterday during the install. There is actually 2 connections on the back of the 2018 USB hub vs my 2015 stock hub. Grey and Black. We only have a grey connector. I didn't know if it would work. but after watching MPGrimms vid, i had faith. Sure enough after Alpha settings, works just fine.

Whats the 2nd connection for??
I think it's for AUX. I was actually wondering if I should plug the gray connector into the back of the black AUX connection to see if it works. If so, you could have all of the inputs working and just lose the ability to read a USB from a second port (the phone would still work through that port though)...

Any thoughts anyone?

JoeGo88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0
What do you mean you can covert 17 into 18 ?
I’m just asking if that part number is from a 2018 UAQ or UAS out of a Ram. I’m looking at used radios and want to make sure it’s what I want. Thanks.

CoZo6

2021 Longhorn Limited 1500
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
Have a 17 Ram 1500 went from 8.4 non nav to a UAQ. Has anyone been able to get traffic to work on factory nav ? Also Sirius guardian does not work does this go hand in hand with traffic ?
Try this previously posted by Mpgrimm2: TravelLink should be disabled in your BCM by default unless you turned it on yourself using AlfaOBD (SDARS TravelLink Present = YES /NO). You may just need to pull the radio fuse near the brake booster to force a reset to clear it. Or just want a while longer ( up to 48 hrs). Hope this is what your looking for. Mine worked in my UAQ but the free preview expired and I didn’t re-up.

Todd09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have it installed for a while now no change. Even activate services will not work. Also rear view mirror 911 and assist buttons do not work. I just get message connected services not active press button below to continue and that button says activat

333CDB16-34A5-4A52-AA0E-C76DDF6C81A7.jpeg