How To: Install a 2018 4C (UAQ/UAS) Radio in 2013 - 2017 RAM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Austen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
If you've decided to go back, don't put NAV on an RA3, just get an RA4 instead. It's the better value in my opinion.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk
That's what I was afraid of. I need to find a good working RA4 and hopefully sell my RA3 and UAQ

16' CCSB 4X4 G56 2500 6.7 SLT CTT tuning, UAQ, Single Zone ATC

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
That's what I was afraid of. I need to find a good working RA4 and hopefully sell my RA3 and UAQ

Bet you could trade your UAQ for an RA4 plus cash easy in the forum classifieds. UAS should sell quick too...

CoZo6

2021 Longhorn Limited 1500
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
Bet you could trade your UAQ for an RA4 plus cash easy in the forum classifieds. UAS should sell quick too...

I’m sure you may know this, but before I went UAQ I got a RA4 from a Grand Cherokee that I keep if all goes bad as a backup. Here is the number to keep your eyes open and the price is less expensive. Worked perfect in my Ram:
68270661AF

Atkpilot1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 diesel
I’m having all kinds of problems with my install. Whole screen went blank. Took it to an audio shop they got the car play working I drive out and damn if it didn’t quit. Backup camera working but that’s where the problem started. No no ac. Taking to dealer in am as the eco diesel is starting to overheat.

Part of my problem lies in the fact that when I first got it added a Bluetooth adapter called the parrot. Huge pos. Ripped all that out and and put in new wiring harness and usb hubs. Was working great and now radio Nav backup working but no phone or CarPlay.

Help please

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deathbyburito

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
Thank you to everyone here for the great information. I figured I'd share my experience here.

Recently purchased a 2016 Ram 1500 Big Horn. Had the 8.4 RA3 without navigation. I really missed Android Auto so decided to upgrade.

Step 1: Find Radio
After a few weeks of watching found a UAS (68331635AH) for a good price from a salvage yard. As a bonus they even included the small radio bezel and automatic temp controls. Screen had some oddness like it was cleaned with a chemical that made spots on the screen where it was used a lot look odd. Figured it was just the factory screen protector. Tested the radio and everything worked well after a couple of restarts. Heated Seats, automatic climate control, and backup camera all worked. Decided to peel the screen protector (razor blade, hair-dryer, and aircraft decal and adhesive remover) and now looks like new waiting for a new screen protector.

Step 2: USB Hub
Decided to order the Dual-USB, Dual USB-C hub off ebay (68397098AE). Found one relatively cheap. Plugged it in using the great adapter cable from M2 Mods. The USB wiring harness on the truck did have two small flat tabs sticking out the end of it. I had to clip them off with a wire cutter to get it to fully seat in the new hub. Plugged in the phone using a USB-C cable and Android Auto launched.

Step 3: USB Hub Adapter
This is the current step I am on. I am working on a 3d model to print an adapter for the usb hub. Printing a blank prototype now and we'll see how it fits. Then the fun starts trying to fit the hub into the adapter. If things work out I'll share the print files or the models for others to use.

Last edited:

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
I’m having all kinds of problems with my install. Whole screen went blank. Took it to an audio shop they got the car play working I drive out and damn if it didn’t quit. Backup camera working but that’s where the problem started. No no ac. Taking to dealer in am as the eco diesel is starting to overheat.

Part of my problem lies in the fact that when I first got it added a Bluetooth adapter called the parrot. Huge pos. Ripped all that out and and put in new wiring harness and usb hubs. Was working great and now radio Nav backup working but no phone or CarPlay.

Help please

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, I'm sorry to hear this. Please let me know if you plan on visiting a dealership for this concern. I would be happy to open a case for you.

Alison
RamCares

cblood95

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi - 5.7

I have a 2016 1500 with 35K miles that has the VP4/RA4 and am looking to make the swap to a UAQ/UAS. I am still in the process of trying to find one of the newer radios for a decent price. If you are interested in working something out, feel free to PM me.

Last edited:

drozek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you to everyone here for the great information. I figured I'd share my experience here.

Recently purchased a 2016 Ram 1500 Big Horn. Had the 8.4 RA3 without navigation. I really missed Android Auto so decided to upgrade.

Step 1: Find Radio
After a few weeks of watching found a UAS (68331635AH) for a good price from a salvage yard. As a bonus they even included the small radio bezel and automatic temp controls. Screen had some oddness like it was cleaned with a chemical that made spots on the screen where it was used a lot look odd. Figured it was just the factory screen protector. Tested the radio and everything worked well after a couple of restarts. Heated Seats, automatic climate control, and backup camera all worked. Decided to peel the screen protector (razor blade, hair-dryer, and aircraft decal and adhesive remover) and now looks like new waiting for a new screen protector.

Step 2: USB Hub
Decided to order the Dual-USB, Dual USB-C hub off ebay (P68397098AE). Found one relatively cheap. Plugged it in using the great adapter cable from M2 Mods. The USB wiring harness on the truck did have two small flat tabs sticking out the end of it. I had to clip them off with a wire cutter to get it to fully seat in the new hub. Plugged in the phone using a USB-C cable and Android Auto launched.

Step 3: USB Hub Adapter
This is the current step I am on. I am working on a 3d model to print an adapter for the usb hub. Printing a blank prototype now and we'll see how it fits. Then the fun starts trying to fit the hub into the adapter. If things work out I'll share the print files or the models for others to use.

P68397098AE you sure this is the right part number?

deathbyburito

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
Turns out if you drop the P then that is the actual part number 68397098AE.

First prototype turned out better than expected. A little tight around the usb ports. Will need to loosen those a bit.
IMG_20200720_183628.jpg IMG_20200720_181408.jpg

Last edited:

David_411

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I pulled the trigger on ordering a UConnect 4 system from a 2019 Ram 1500 Classic, not sure if it has NAV or not.
The price was right considering it has less than 1000km, it is a new takeoff. I should be able to pick it up tomorrow.
I already have the adapter from kaodtech.
I currently have a 2016 Ram 1500 Limited with the 8.4 system with NAV.
I hope the swap goes smoothly with no functionality issues.

I was going to just order the Jeep Compass media hub, but the the new USB C hub looks pretty darn attractive. I might have to wait for deathbyburito to release the 3D printing plans.

deathbyburito

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
A little progress. While the next one prints trimmed out the opening and tested it out. I'm going to try to get it to either friction fit or clip in so I don't have to glue it but we'll see. also need to create some spots for the hub to clip into the adapter. And obviously some sanding and painting once the adapter is up to my standards.

IMG_20200721_101749.jpg IMG_20200721_100116.jpg

Kyomie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A little progress. While the next one prints trimmed out the opening and tested it out. I'm going to try to get it to either friction fit or clip in so I don't have to glue it but we'll see. also need to create some spots for the hub to clip into the adapter. And obviously some sanding and painting once the adapter is up to my standards.

View attachment 216254 View attachment 216255

Looks awesome. I may have to ask for the 3d file to update my design.

deathbyburito

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
Thanks. I can share whatever files people would want once I'm done with it. Printing possibly the final version now, so I'll know in about 3 hours. I created the model in Fusion 360. It is my first 3d model that I made myself for printing. Getting very close now. Probably wouldn't be too difficult to update the 3d design to fit whatever hub people wanted.

bohrman44

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Eco Diesel
If it's an RA3/4 they aren't compatible. The part number you'll need for a UAS/UAQ is LA084X01-SL01 or SL02 ...

So I found a UAQ on ebay with a busted screen....im looing to buy a new screen for it now..does the slot 1 or 2 make any difference?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
So I found a UAQ on ebay with a busted screen....im looing to buy a new screen for it now..does the slot 1 or 2 make any difference?
Not that I could see. I believe it's just a revised part number and when I ordered an SL02 specifically as a direct replacement I instead received an SL01 and it worked without issues.

bohrman44

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Eco Diesel
sweet....looks like ill have a UAQ unit if all goes well for about $780 total....Looks like the screen won't be too bad to replace

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
sweet....looks like ill have a UAQ unit if all goes well for about $780 total....Looks like the screen won't be too bad to replace
It's fairly simple to replace (a little more involved to remove scratched factory protector). One thing I didn't mention in my original summary was to be mindful of the thermal pads as you disassemble the radio. It's important not to touch them and to keep them free of solvents and or debris. You will find them installed in several different layers/areas throughout the radio.

In short, look at how things set before removing each layer.

I'm curious, what is wrong with the screen it comes with?

David_411

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks. I can share whatever files people would want once I'm done with it. Printing possibly the final version now, so I'll know in about 3 hours. I created the model in Fusion 360. It is my first 3d model that I made myself for printing. Getting very close now. Probably wouldn't be too difficult to update the 3d design to fit whatever hub people wanted.

Do you have a console or jump seat equipped truck?

bohrman44

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Eco Diesel
Pretty messed up. Seller said it worked as it should before it was pulled out. ebay number 114313776926 if you wanna see the auction 85FC7C02-300B-4C01-BA0F-C8030CF68374.png