How To: Install a 2018 4C (UAQ/UAS) Radio in 2013 - 2017 RAM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Roman217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the quick reply. Can you be more specific on where this fuse is. I’m looking at the break booster under the hood and there is a rectangle box with 7 fuses in it that are either PTC Heater or Glow Plug Mod

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Should be on the harness coming out of the firewall by the booster. It's a single black fuse holder.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Thanks for the quick reply. Can you be more specific on where this fuse is. I’m looking at the break booster under the hood and there is a rectangle box with 7 fuses in it that are either PTC Heater or Glow Plug Mod

Should be on the harness coming out of the firewall by the booster. It's a single black fuse holder.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
To pile on, open the hood and look for a wire coming out of the firewall that has the aforementioned fuse holder, the fuse will be roughly between the break booster and the battery.abcced598dd6d4586e4974d880a5253e.jpg

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I spoke with some recently who clued me in on something that's been bugging me...

... I've heard some reports that some 18 & 19-20 Classic trucks didn't need the ATC wiring to get the HVAC system (temp controls) to work correctly. (13-17 trucks getting the UAQ/UAS upgrade definitely should have it).

Apparently "other" 8.4 conversion harness sellers that have sold UAQ/UAS upgrade radio kits have been sending them out with out any hardware support for Auto Temp Control (ie basic 8.4 harnesses) and telling customers to just use AlfaOBD to go through the Single Zone ATC programming steps to get the temp slider & blend doors working correctly (ie Dual Zone ATC first & then Single Zone ATC).

The problem with this is 2 fold & is a known issue for almost 2 years now ...

1st - The truck CAN NOT cycle the HVAC compressor on/off correctly without the extra cabin sensors ... the HVAC compressor clutch will stay engaged as long as the truck is running ... whether or not you turn off the "AC" button on the bezel... pop the hood and take a look.

2nd - You end up with the ATC "Auto" button on your hvac "Controls" screen that you can't use?

Sorta - Some people may not have the "jumping" temp slider and may only have the issue with not getting full travel out of the temp blend door.... and either don't notice the problems or are okay with pressing Temp Down or Temp Up 15-20 extra times to get the full temperature output from the blend door despite the on screen slider showing it's maxed out. (milder climates perhaps?)

ATC with sensors fixes the above issues.

-- Posted Previously -- & top of the 8.4 Conversion thread --
2018 & 19+ CLASSIC OWNERS !

* It is NOT recommended to install a 13-17 RAx radio in a 2018 or 19 classic!

It 'can' be done but you 'CURRENTLY' can't get rid of Cellular System needs service error message at startup (unless using the recommended 2018/19 classic UAx radio, & you will need ATC w/UAx upgrades to avoid hvac blend door issues).

Ram 2019 Classic RA2 to RA4 Upgrade.

Gibbs' HVAC Issues w/UAS upgrade (fixed with ATC mod).
& Outback199 's 19Classic w/same issue at post 138.

Last edited:

JoeGo88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0
To pile on, open the hood and look for a wire coming out of the firewall that has the aforementioned fuse holder, the fuse will be roughly between the break booster and the battery.abcced598dd6d4586e4974d880a5253e.jpg

It worked! Thanks! I would have never found that fuse. Thanks again for the quick replies and help!

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I spoke with some recently who clued me in on something that's been bugging me...

... I've heard some reports that some 18 & 19-20 Classic trucks didn't need the ATC wiring to get the HVAC system (temp controls) to work correctly.

Apparently "other" 8.4 conversion harness sellers that our harness have sold UAQ/UAS upgrade radio kits have been sending them out with out any hardware support for Auto Temp Control (ie basic 8.4 harnesses) and telling customers to just use AlfaOBD to go through the Single Zone ATC programming steps to get the temp slider & blend doors working correctly (ie Dual Zone ATC first & then Single Zone ATC).

The problem with this is 2 fold & is a known issue for almost 2 years now ...

1st - The truck CAN NOT cycle the HVAC compressor on/off correctly without the extra cabin sensors ... the HVAC compressor clutch will stay engaged as long as the truck is running ... whether or not you turn off the "AC" button on the bezel... pop the hood and take a look.

2nd - You end up with the ATC "Auto" button on your hvac "Controls" screen that you can't use?

-- Posted Previously -- & top of the 8.4 Conversion thread --
2018 & 19+ CLASSIC OWNERS !

* It is NOT recommended to install a 13-17 RAx radio in a 2018 or 19 classic!

It 'can' be done but you 'CURRENTLY' can't get rid of Cellular System needs service error message at startup (unless using the recommended 2018/19 classic UAx radio, & you will need ATC w/UAx upgrades to avoid hvac blend door issues).

Ram 2019 Classic RA2 to RA4 Upgrade.

Gibbs' HVAC Issues w/UAS upgrade (fixed with ATC mod).
& Outback199 's 19Classic w/same issue at post 138.

This wouldn't be my favorite vendor doing this would it? ;)

Next thing you know their customers will be here or in the Alfa thread asking how to turn the A/C compressor off. Or ******** that Alfa smoked their A/C compressor.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L

Next thing you know their customers will be here or in the Alfa thread asking how to turn the A/C compressor off. Or ******** that Alfa smoked their A/C compressor.
Someone else....

But here's Info 's solution for a Single Zone ATC bezel (included with all standard kits apparently. Vinyl wrap the extra passenger buttons?)

5ed55de25ad8e2194384d4b1ee074440.jpg

And ours ...
d1cbc07ef9aa3399e75569066737173a.jpg

M² Mods.

Last edited:

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar

Someone else....

But here's Info 's solution for a Single Zone ATC bezel (included with all standard kits apparently. Vinyl wrap the extra passenger buttons?)

Just for clarity, would I be doing any harm with a UAS installed but not having done the Single Zone ATC mod? I was under the impression all that was wrong is I needed to press the hot and cold buttons many fore times than is indicated visually and that was the only hiccup...

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Just for clarity, would I be doing any harm with a UAS installed but not having done the Single Zone ATC mod? I was under the impression all that was wrong is I needed to press the hot and cold buttons many fore times than is indicated visually and that was the only hiccup...

Message me your number and I'll give you a call/text later after I'm done running around with the wife.

M² Mods.

dwhutch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Message me your number and I'll give you a call/text later after I'm done running around with the wife.

M² Mods.
I have the same concern, mine seemed to work correctly upon installation but now that the radio has learned my truck I'm not so sure. I need to drop my glove box to confirm.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I have the same concern, mine seemed to work correctly upon installation but now that the radio has learned my truck I'm not so sure. I need to drop my glove box to confirm.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
And check your a/c clutch to make sure it turns off when the ac button is turned off while running

M² Mods.

dwhutch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
And check your a/c clutch to make sure it turns off when the ac button is turned off while running

M² Mods.
OK, finally got time to check my compressor. It only comes on when either AC or front defrost is selected which sould be correct. When I installed the radio the first thing I did while I had the glove box and upper storage tray out was look at the blend door and the display on the screen to see if the positions matched and they did apear to match up correctly. Now after the radio has learned my truck I'm not sure they still match. I need to pop the upper tray back out to verifiy this. Unless I was lied to by the salvage yard my radio came with the single zone bezel from the same truck which means it was a factory single zone manual setup. If indeed mine now has the bug it must be something it learned from my BCM?

Austen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Someone else....

And ours ...
d1cbc07ef9aa3399e75569066737173a.jpg

M² Mods.
I only have the standard MTC 8.4 bezel for my truck that I've been running your single zone atc harness on for quite awhile now. What would the single zone ATC control panel cost? I have looked online and can only find MTC or dual.

16' CCSB 4X4 G56 2500 6.7 SLT, CTT tuning, UAQ, Customtronix Enzo, Single Zone ATC

Last edited:

Austen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Update: After sending Magnus @ Customtronix an email I was able to get some information on the issues I'm experiencing. He stated that it will not work because the canbus message is different for auto vs manual. I was informed that they don´t trigger on manual. He also stated that the keypad (used for manually & quickly viewing video inputs) will not work with a manual transmission as the back button triggers differently than the keypad. It's unfortunate that the keypad doesn't work as I could live with the front camera not automatically engaging when the corresponding dip switch for park pro is set to the on position. Due to my truck being a G56 and having the factory installed cargo & reverse cameras I have to cycle through the media inputs with either the back button or mute button on the radio bezel. The navigation address in motion lockout disabled feature still works correctly which is also nice. So until I find a way to easily view my front camera with me not being able to use my cargo camera input on the radio I will have to deal with utilizing the back and or mute buttons on the radio to view my front camera.

16' CCSB 4X4 G56 2500 6.7 SLT, CTT tuning, UAQ, Customtronix Enzo, Single Zone ATC
Update #2: LIGHTBULB moment last night. I was thinking about how I had purchased the rax video switch when I ordered my Enzo in the case I may want to add an abundance of cameras or video inputs later down the road. I remembered that the RCA cable labeled CCA on the Enzo harness (separate from the additional video inputs; front cam & multimedia) was for the input of a cargo camera if your truck was not equipped with one from the factory although mine did. Tonight I have confirmed my suspicion after installing the video switch inline with the cargo camera rca on the Enzo followed by connecting my front camera to the opposing end. Now all I have to do is touch the soft key on my radio for cargo cam. I have left the switch in the 1st position defaulting to the front camera. Flip the switch while viewing the front camera you then see the cargo camera feed all without having to double click the mute button or hold the back button for 2 seconds to view the front cam. Apologies for the drawn out posts but I enjoy potentially helping someone that may run into this in the future while sharing my experiences. Eventually I would really like to come up with a way to remove the Enzo completely yet still obtain my video switch for the cargo & front camera as the auto functions do not work with my G56. However it is nice for a passenger to have the ability to be able to enter navigation addresses while in motion.

Last edited:

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Update #2: LIGHTBULB moment last night. I was thinking about how I had purchased the rax video switch when I ordered my Enzo in the case I may want to add an abundance of cameras or video inputs later down the road. I remembered that the RCA cable labeled CCA on the Enzo harness (separate from the additional video inputs; front cam & multimedia) was for the input of a cargo camera if your truck was not equipped with one from the factory although mine did. Tonight I have confirmed my suspicion after installing the video switch inline with the cargo camera rca on the Enzo followed by connecting my front camera to the opposing end. Now all I have to do is touch the soft key on my radio for cargo cam. I have left the switch in the 1st position defaulting to the front camera. Flip the switch while viewing the front camera you then see the cargo camera feed all without having to double click the mute button or hold the back button for 2 seconds to view the front cam. Apologies for the drawn out posts but I enjoy potentially helping someone that may run into this in the future while sharing my experiences. Eventually I would really like to come up with a way to remove the Enzo completely yet still obtain my video switch for the cargo & front camera as the auto functions do not work with my G56. However it is nice for a passenger to have the ability to be able to enter navigation addresses while in motion.

This should do the trick...

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/to...&share_fid=17770&share_type=t&link_source=app

mckinlkev

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I was able to carefully remove the factory screen protector using information from this thread (heat gun, razer blade, and aircraft residue cleaner). The glass screen below the protector looked like new. I put a new screen protector on the glass.

Can you provide the link for this process? I have a 2018 UAS that appears be delaminating. Some say it's a digitizer others have mentioned this factory screen protector.

NM - found it on page 173,it does look like my delamination is the anti glare layer.

Last edited:

deathbyburito

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
Can you provide the link for this process? I have a 2018 UAS that appears be delaminating. Some say it's a digitizer others have mentioned this factory screen protector.

NM - found it on page 173,it does look like my delamination is the anti glare layer.

I was really nervous about it, but it came off with a little heat and a razor blade. Tried wd40 for the left over residue. It would have come off eventually but the aircraft adhesive remover made it wipe away easily.

Last edited:

Site-r

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500
Engine
Cummings 6.7
Pretty sure but not positive that all Uax style radio updates are only available OTA. So if you get a radio see if you can get the donor vin and check the Uconnect website for updates. It's been almost a year since the last Uaq update. And as far as needing frequent map updates many people prefer Waze or other navigation apps.
I love my Uaq and @Mpgrimm2 from
M2 Mods made mine happen. He has all the info to determine what if anything you need for a harness or a hvac module.

Site-r

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500
Engine
Cummings 6.7
I used the donor vin number to check for updates on the UConnect site, and it does nothing.
Does anyone know if they have any software updates which include a NAV update or improved the UAQ functionality?