How To: Install a 2018 4C (UAQ/UAS) Radio in 2013 - 2017 RAM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FWB-Gator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm happy to say my 2016 Ram 1500 Big Horn now sports the UAQ 4C radio as well as Single Zone ATC. A big time thanks to @Mpgrimm2 for advice, patience, and (mostly) some great harnesses and a super cool custom bezel with a functional Auto button! All the advice on this site makes me feel much smarter than I really am. The install went perfectly the first time. I can hardly ever say that. And such a huge difference. With my recently upgraded 7" EVIC and Power Folding Mirrors, to go along with the UAQ (replacing my RA2), it feels like a much more modern truck!

Now the "down side". I'm wanting to install a front camera and blind spot cameras. I seem to be striking out on finding compatible products. I checked on the LockPick and they said they're working on a version that will be compatible with the UAQ (not yet available). I found a product made by PAC (BCI-CH41) that looked similar. I emailed the company and asked about compatibility with the UAQ 4C. They replied "if it's an 8.4" radio, it should work." I ordered it and checked it out...didn't work. NAVIKS has the only product I've found that says it's compatible with the 4C. Unfortunately, it doesn't have the side (blind spot) camera capability. So this is something I'll have to keep working. If anyone has found something that works, I'd love to hear about it.

But, the camera thing aside, I'm loving this upgrade. I would never have tried the ATC upgrade without the advice on this site!!20210426_110314.jpg 20210426_145222.jpg 20210427_110028.jpg

dwhutch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm happy to say my 2016 Ram 1500 Big Horn now sports the UAQ 4C radio as well as Single Zone ATC. A big time thanks to @Mpgrimm2 for advice, patience, and (mostly) some great harnesses and a super cool custom bezel with a functional Auto button! All the advice on this site makes me feel much smarter than I really am. The install went perfectly the first time. I can hardly ever say that. And such a huge difference. With my recently upgraded 7" EVIC and Power Folding Mirrors, to go along with the UAQ (replacing my RA2), it feels like a much more modern truck!

Now the "down side". I'm wanting to install a front camera and blind spot cameras. I seem to be striking out on finding compatible products. I checked on the LockPick and they said they're working on a version that will be compatible with the UAQ (not yet available). I found a product made by PAC (BCI-CH41) that looked similar. I emailed the company and asked about compatibility with the UAQ 4C. They replied "if it's an 8.4" radio, it should work." I ordered it and checked it out...didn't work. NAVIKS has the only product I've found that says it's compatible with the 4C. Unfortunately, it doesn't have the side (blind spot) camera capability. So this is something I'll have to keep working. If anyone has found something that works, I'd love to hear about it.

But, the camera thing aside, I'm loving this upgrade. I would never have tried the ATC upgrade without the advice on this site!!View attachment 247082 View attachment 247083 View attachment 247084
What do you mean by cameras didn't work, did you get a blue screen? What is the actual part number on your radio?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Have you checked out Customtronix?
The guy I bought my UAQ from had one working on it.
http://www.customtronix.com/webshop...ing_wp_cron=1620732191.1096889972686767578125

Earl Zeis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L

But, the camera thing aside, I'm loving this upgrade. I would never have tried the ATC upgrade without the advice on this site!!View attachment 247082 View attachment 247083 View attachment 247084

What part number and what software version is your UAQ?

Do you have any device not supported messages on your UAQ?

Do you have any HVAC codes with your single zone ATC? Like B11C8? You'd have to use your AlfaOBD connected to the climate module to check for codes and clear them.

Thanks,
Earl

FWB-Gator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What part number and what software version is your UAQ?

Do you have any device not supported messages on your UAQ?

Do you have any HVAC codes with your single zone ATC? Like B11C8? You'd have to use your AlfaOBD connected to the climate module to check for codes and clear them.

Thanks,
Earl

My UAQ is a 68331631AK running Application Vsn 22.6.0

When I check for codes, I do get U0213 "Lost Communication with Interior Mirror Control Module" (I hadn't noticed that previously). Everything seems to work correctly, including ATC. So not sure if that's a real issue or not.

As for the PAC BCI-CH41, it was interesting. It has an connector that goes between the radio and the truck, and a smart switch the cameras plug into. You program the device to indicate how the cameras are triggered. There's an LED on the device to indicate a camera is "active". A message also pops up on the instrument cluster that says which camera is active. All that worked fine, so I know the connections were there and it was talking to the truck. But essentially, nothing happened on the radio screen itself. No blue screen, no error message. It's as if no signal is actually going to the UAQ.

I've noticed most other similar devices say they are for 2013 to 2017 Rams, and some explicitly say they work on the RA3/RA4 8.4" radios, but NOT on the Panasonic UAx. NAViKS for example has a line of products for the pre-2018 radios, and a separate set of SKUs that perform the same functions but for the UAS/UAQ. That seems to indicate something is different in the way they work for the UAS/UAQ. I was surprised, though, that there seemed to be zero communication to the radio itself.

I am looking at Customtronix (Enzo) and NAViKS (they actually have a "360" system that does allow for front/rear/side cameras explicitly for the 4C systems). That's the only two products I've seen that say on the site they are compatible with the 4C.

Edit: Not sure why I didn't think of this originally, but I'm certain the code I'm seeing with AlfaOBD (U0213) isn't related to the UAQ/ATC upgrade. A couple months back, I upgraded to power folding mirrors, which included adding a new module in the doors as well as a new mirror control unit on the driver's door (to add the "fold" button). I also used an OBD Genie to flash the truck to recognize that change. That has to be the mod that caused the "Lost Communication with Interior Mirror Control Module" code. That said, everything with that mod seems to be functioning fine as well, so I'm not going to worry about it.

Last edited:

FWB-Gator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have you checked out Customtronix?
The guy I bought my UAQ from had one working on it.
http://www.customtronix.com/webshop...ing_wp_cron=1620732191.1096889972686767578125

Thanks. I'm reading up on that one now. I really liked the PAC product because it gave so many options for triggering the cameras, including the Steering Wheel Controls. I'm thinking the ENZO for the most part requires the buttons on the center stack. That's not terrible, but hoping I can find one that gives a bit more flexibility. That said, it looks like a cool product that should work for me.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
@FWB-Gator you might want to read up some more, if I remember correctly you can use the steering wheel buttons for the Enzo camera selection also..but it's been a while so I might be thinking of something else [emoji848]

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Yes sir. That's what appears to have resolved that half of my issues.

'16 CCSB 4X4 G56 2500 6.7 SLT, CTT tuning, UAQ, Single Zone ATC
Awesome, great to hear!

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

dwhutch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My UAQ is a 68331631AK running Application Vsn 22.6.0

When I check for codes, I do get U0213 "Lost Communication with Interior Mirror Control Module" (I hadn't noticed that previously). Everything seems to work correctly, including ATC. So not sure if that's a real issue or not.

As for the PAC BCI-CH41, it was interesting. It has an connector that goes between the radio and the truck, and a smart switch the cameras plug into. You program the device to indicate how the cameras are triggered. There's an LED on the device to indicate a camera is "active". A message also pops up on the instrument cluster that says which camera is active. All that worked fine, so I know the connections were there and it was talking to the truck. But essentially, nothing happened on the radio screen itself. No blue screen, no error message. It's as if no signal is actually going to the UAQ.

I've noticed most other similar devices say they are for 2013 to 2017 Rams, and some explicitly say they work on the RA3/RA4 8.4" radios, but NOT on the Panasonic UAx. NAViKS for example has a line of products for the pre-2018 radios, and a separate set of SKUs that perform the same functions but for the UAS/UAQ. That seems to indicate something is different in the way they work for the UAS/UAQ. I was surprised, though, that there seemed to be zero communication to the radio itself.

I am looking at Customtronix (Enzo) and NAViKS (they actually have a "360" system that does allow for front/rear/side cameras explicitly for the 4C systems). That's the only two products I've seen that say on the site they are compatible with the 4C.

I wonder how the PAC system is supposed to tell the radio to show the cameras, I put a single front camera on my UAQ (different part# and software version) and connected it to the cargo camera input. To show the camera you hit the cargo camera button on the radio and i comes up. My radio used different pins for the cargo camera than most UAQs so I just got a blue screen to start with. Once I figured out the correct pins I got it working. Seems like someone on here did something similar but used a fairly inexpensive camera switcher to add more cameras. I got my camera for $40 and the video input pigtail from https://www.ramforum.com/forums/m²-mods.166/

FWB-Gator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Well, after looking at some of the questions y'all posted to my thread, I started to wonder why the PAC system didn't work. So I took a closer look at it. Essentially, when you connect it between the truck and the radio, all the wires are a straight pass through except pins 2 and 12 (P-Net- and P-Net+). The BCI-CH41 pulls the signals from pins 43 and 44 (ground and battery) and Pins 2 and 12 (to help the smart switch know which camera image to send to the radio), and returns a signal from the device to Pins 2 and 12. So the question remained "how's it get the camera image to the radio". Which led to only one conclusion: "I'm an idiot".

The smart switch has 4 available inputs for cameras and one rca output. I had that output connected to nothing. The BCI-CH41 has a direct connection from the truck to the radio at Pins 31/32 (the camera input). It has a male and female rca coupling in between. Turns out (obviously now) that the smart switch output goes into the female rca connector that goes to pins 31/32. Works as advertised now.

So the good news - I've now added front and blind spot cameras to my RAM. The bad news - I feel like a moron!!! Oh well, I've been there before and I will again!!!

Thanks to everyone for posing questions that made me re-think this.

Austen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Has anyone experienced their 8.4" randomly becoming completely unresponsive then rebooting on its own? I originally swapped my factory RA3 for my UAQ and had no issues. After running it for awhile I added the Customtronix Enzo & their dual video splitter switch and a front camera on top of my factory reverse & cargo cam. I immediately experienced what I would consider interference lines across the screen when viewing any of the cameras as well as the radio randomly & sporadically rebooting and freezing. I got tired of my backup camera not automatically coming on with my UAQ so I bought an RA4 from a 2017 (verified MY17 by vin & part #) and installed my Customtronix ENIGMA that I had used on my last truck with another RA4 and experienced the same issues. I figured it was the Customtronix modules and (or) t-harnesses causing the random reboots and interference. I was not satisfied with the RA4 compared to the UAQ overall on top of the fact that I lost my soft key for my backup camera when I installed the MY17 RA4. I had to open the cargo camera with the cc soft key and then click on backup cam. Never could figure that out and gave up when I reinstalled my UAQ since it displays both just like my original factory installed RA3 did. Shortly after reinstalling my UAQ I removed the Customtronix module and harness EVERYTHING but the factory wiring and UAQ and the backup cam as well as the cargo cam still have interference looking lines that float up and down the screen only when viewing cameras and I noticed tonight that unfortunately the radio is still randomly rebooting when going down the road. Sorry for the long post but I'm hoping someone can help me here

Austen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Awesome, great to hear!

Unfortunately I'm back to square 1 and the radio still freezes then reboots and the interference is ongoing. [emoji2371][emoji2359]

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Unfortunately I'm back to square 1 and the radio still freezes then reboots and the interference is ongoing. [emoji2371][emoji2359]

If you don't use the AUX connection, you can de-pin those connections under the seat and tape them up.

autumnwalker

Reaction score
@Austen I have interference lines on my factory 2015 backup camera with the Customtronix Enzo and my Canadian UAS. I was working with Customtronix on it ... but honestly I got lazy / tired of taking my dash apart to troubleshoot. I've kind of learned to live with the interference lines.

drozek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Has anyone experienced their 8.4" randomly becoming completely unresponsive then rebooting on its own? I originally swapped my factory RA3 for my UAQ and had no issues. After running it for awhile I added the Customtronix Enzo & their dual video splitter switch and a front camera on top of my factory reverse & cargo cam. I immediately experienced what I would consider interference lines across the screen when viewing any of the cameras as well as the radio randomly & sporadically rebooting and freezing. I got tired of my backup camera not automatically coming on with my UAQ so I bought an RA4 from a 2017 (verified MY17 by vin & part #) and installed my Customtronix ENIGMA that I had used on my last truck with another RA4 and experienced the same issues. I figured it was the Customtronix modules and (or) t-harnesses causing the random reboots and interference. I was not satisfied with the RA4 compared to the UAQ overall on top of the fact that I lost my soft key for my backup camera when I installed the MY17 RA4. I had to open the cargo camera with the cc soft key and then click on backup cam. Never could figure that out and gave up when I reinstalled my UAQ since it displays both just like my original factory installed RA3 did. Shortly after reinstalling my UAQ I removed the Customtronix module and harness EVERYTHING but the factory wiring and UAQ and the backup cam as well as the cargo cam still have interference looking lines that float up and down the screen only when viewing cameras and I noticed tonight that unfortunately the radio is still randomly rebooting when going down the road. Sorry for the long post but I'm hoping someone can help me here

I have a UAQ in my 2015, and it randomly reboots here and here. But it reboots twice and then it is good for the rest of the trip.

Austen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
@Austen I have interference lines on my factory 2015 backup camera with the Customtronix Enzo and my Canadian UAS. I was working with Customtronix on it ... but honestly I got lazy / tired of taking my dash apart to troubleshoot. I've kind of learned to live with the interference lines.
I'm with you on getting tired of taking the dash apart. I'm definitely tired of the issues though. Funny thing is even after removing any and ALL aftermarket wiring harnesses or modules I still get interference but not as bad as I do with the Customtronix installed. I didn't have any lines in either of my cameras until I plugged in their module but my truck does it with or without the Customtronix now and with my UAQ or my RA4. Was hoping it would be a lose wire but I can't find anything. [emoji2962]

Austen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
If you don't use the AUX connection, you can de-pin those connections under the seat and tape them up.

I don't use the aux just the USB. Do you think the aux is the only thing that could be causing both my radios to randomly reboot?

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I don't use the aux just the USB. Do you think the aux is the only thing that could be causing both my radios to randomly reboot?

Yes, i believe there is an intermittent short. Doesn't need anything plugged in for it to happen. It "may" also be causing the camera interference you are having.