I hate my lift, what should I get instead?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They don’t include extenders if you buy the shocks with the spacers. So running what ever n3 they throw in with the spacer kit. Taking it off cause it rides like a slammed cars. I had other upgrades I wanted first, so I was gunna just push off the lift until next year. But it rides so garbage I’m doing it next week or 2. I knew the rc was not a perm lift. Just an intern on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Is there a part# number for the shocks somewhere in the invoice?
If not, measure your front shock from the shim in the pic (#2) to the center to of the lower bolt at ride height, then how much shaft is showing at ride heigth. Then lift the front from the frame until your wheel droops in the air just a little then measure measure again, post all the numbers. This will give you an idea if you were running to close to max droop with the shocks.

Last edited:

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Crap....now I regret in ordering RC leveling struts for my 1500. Has anybody have both for comparison?

I used to have the 5100 on my old 2012 ram 1500. Good shocks but just a big too stiff for me. My charger has bilsteins and I'm just looking for a softer ride...but with a 2.5" lift. Did I make a mistake?

Owner of a 20 Ram Laramie, 16 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 21 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Crap....now I regret in ordering RC leveling struts for my 1500. Has anybody have both for comparison?

I used to have the 5100 on my old 2012 ram 1500. Good shocks but just a big too stiff for me. My charger has bilsteins and I'm just looking for a softer ride...but with a 2.5" lift. Did I make a mistake?

Owner of a 20 Ram Laramie, 16 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 21 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

I really like the Eibach Pro kit for a better than stock setup but without going overkill for a mostly street driven truck. If you have the NEW body style they arent released yet but will be in Jan, if you have a classic we can get you set up now! It is a great budget friendly upgrade.

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
I really like the Eibach Pro kit for a better than stock setup but without going overkill for a mostly street driven truck. If you have the NEW body style they arent released yet but will be in Jan, if you have a classic we can get you set up now! It is a great budget friendly upgrade.
Highly recommend the kyb replacement top hat with this kit.

VelocityC6Z

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You mentioned wanting to put 35's on. Did you change your tires already? Only curious because I can certainly say that I've seen other reviews of the n3's on 2500's and people loved how comfy the ride is... I can't speak from experience on that one though.

However, I know what it's like to go from factory passenger tires to e rated 35's on stock suspension and e rated tires inflated up near the top of their limit feel like riding on blocks compared to factory tires. Just my two cents....

I would recommend thuren, don sales some very quality entry level shocks that increase your travel and ride pretty plush. They probably cost less than what you paid for the rough country stuff...

OP
OP
PCT

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Highly recommend the kyb replacement top hat with this kit.

Is there any different springs for rear with out adding a lift? New shocks and springs are nice, but rear is stiff, still have RC on the rear. Will just changing shocks on rear make it a bit smoother? Or rear coils just not a good ride?81b9cfd4b8ec15843ca3583eb8b03153.jpg

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
@PCT Rear Shocks will smooth it out. I thought you were putting the factory shocks back in for the time being?

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
I was, but didn’t wanna do it twice.

LOL I would do it twice you may leave it like that for a bit too because it’s not bad. Rear coils don’t to much in the rear until their is weight back there

TritanRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
Hello I see that you already spent money of a lift and your not happy. with it have you ever thought about going with a air r bag lift? I found these guys while I was looking for a BDS or Pro comp 4-6" lift. You can get a kit that is stock height or 6" when fully lifted. I heard the ride is amazing and the parts and Firestone air bags that I have talk to other guys that have had them for 10 plus years and no problems. I dont know gif you have ever seen one of these kits but they look so nice and the ride is like factory or better and promise you that you will probably be the 1st to have a lift kit that is a head turner like these.

I think that everyone will go. this route in the next few years. Just my 2 cents.

Im news o the site hear and just bought my new 2020 Ram 2500 HD Mega cab and traded my 2014 Ram 1500 in and had a 3" lift on it and love my 2500 its like a Cadillac to me so Im ordering one and they are suppose to be available before Christmas.

Check them out at thearcwerx.com You can email the owner @arcwerx Scott Audibert [email protected]

I. dont have a kit yet and dont really like even know these guys but just giving you feedback from the research I have done.

Sorry if this was talked about earlier in the post

Arcwerkz 4" lift.jpg

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just like the rancho garbage. How are these companies still in business?

Because for every one person who feels like they got dicked with a bad product from them, there are probably 15 that loved their product.

Lets face it. I think anybody buying those types of products at those types of prices really shouldnt be expecting all that great of quality in the first place. I mean, if you get and entire 6” lift with shocks for leas than one high end shock, well....

Michael

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Because for every one person who feels like they got dicked with a bad product from them, there are probably 15 that loved their product.

Lets face it. I think anybody buying those types of products at those types of prices really shouldnt be expecting all that great of quality in the first place. I mean, if you get and entire 6” lift with shocks for leas than one high end shock, well....
I paid more for the last set of rancho shocks then I did for the bilsteins that replaced them.

Michael

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You saying bilstein is better than rancho?
Yes. I’ve owned several rancho products over several decades and each time they’ve been garbage. I will no longer buy anything rancho product. I’ve had bilsteins on two vehicles in a row and they are good. There are better out there, but they are much better than rancho.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ve had the opposite experience with Rancho. I tried them in my RAM first time (Rancho QL front, 9000XL rear )and was super happy with them.

I’ve had 5100’s before in different applications and the commonality was a stiff/harsh ride when setup at max for the lifting struts. (The harhsness was worst in my Nissan Xterra and Silverado 1500 CC) Not looking to repeat that myself and If I did 5100 struts ever again I’ll have set them 2 notches before max tops. Ran 5100's in all my Toyotas, Nissan Xterra and Silverado 1500. Had that Silverado 1500 on 5100's set at max when i bought the RAM and i was determined not to get 5100's again because i was tired of the harshness on them. That's why i decided to try Ranchos and oh boy it was day and night in my case.

Have done RC as well. Much cheaper than 5100 or Ranchos, cheap bushings doesn’t last as long as the good ones, has always been a budget choice when you’re not expecting the best but something that will allow you to have the look and have fun on the cheap, same with Skyjacker., Ive been a happy camper even with $50 procomp shocks. on the shock side. on the bracket/lift side I was never happy with anything with spacers so i avoid spacers like they're the plague. only ones i will use are trim spacers (5-10 mm) to correct a lean issue or simple add a minor lift for extra weight support. 2-3" spacers suck balls same with cheapy control arms. The reason they're cheap is because they have cheap bushings that will ***** and moan to oblivion sometimes, and just wait until they go out :)

Sometimes i spend good money in my suspension to get what i want/need so for instance I'm currently running King race shocks in my 1500 truck and i have had other setups with race suspension setups in other applications as well like Icon, SAW and Radflo and i can say with confidence if i was looking for more conventional shocks i'll prefer the Rancho QL/9000 XL ride myself over 5100's any day of the week, even more with a loaded truck bed. This is my own personal opinion on the matter. and i like Ranchos are Made in USA. not exactly sure why they get the vibe in some forums but oh well it's what it is. I know
I will never lift an IFS setup with spacers regardless of who's making them. i'd like to set an 4x4 IFS to run some desert trails and i'm not exactly driving miss daisy when i do so. My Jeeps are lifted with springs, shocks and aftermarket control arms. if it's a cheap daily beater it'll get RC or another cheap lift that doesn't involve spacers, a Wrangler gets a more premium kit from Synergy, Metalcloack, Rock Jock etc etc without having to be race oriented. i find myself doing the same over and over every 2-3 years or so hahaha. Truck has been with me 2 years now so will see what happens at the end of next year.

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Following thread. So I did get my Rough country 2" leveling strut for the front, and 1" n3 for the rears. Im happy with them. It feels stock to me, and no issues for the last 200 miles and 3 weeks I had them. I did do some offroading in them, and I was happy. Offroad, it was still a big stiff (like the stock shocks) so I think its because of the duelers tires.

I just ordered my toyo open country 33.5" tires, so that should be a better upgrade.

What should I expect that these RC shocks should last? According to the website, it has a 3 year limited warranty. Mileage shouldn't be an issue because I don't drive much.

Owner of a 2020 Ram Laramie, 16 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 21 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
938bafb31371b8f561be990facb07013.jpg

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Following thread. So I did get my Rough country 2" leveling strut for the front, and 1" n3 for the rears. Im happy with them. It feels stock to me, and no issues for the last 200 miles and 3 weeks I had them. I did do some offroading in them, and I was happy. Offroad, it was still a big stiff (like the stock shocks) so I think its because of the duelers tires.

I just ordered my toyo open country 33.5" tires, so that should be a better upgrade.

What should I expect that these RC shocks should last? According to the website, it has a 3 year limited warranty. Mileage shouldn't be an issue because I don't drive much.

Owner of a 2020 Ram Laramie, 16 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 21 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
938bafb31371b8f561be990facb07013.jpg
They should be ok for those 3 years and more. Don’t sweat it. Anybody doing the newer RC N3’s lately have loved them, at least on the 1500 side. The N3’s in my Jeep GC had about 40k miles or so and they were good no leaks or anything.

MoPowered

Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5C1AD2CE-91F3-4E6A-BBBC-287711870D56.jpeg Man I thought this thread was dead, still going strong though. I say to the OP could’ve saved yourself some time and aggravation buy just getting a Power Wagon, just saying......