Installing a v6 e fan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If it already exists we should be able to unlock the feature but how? If we copy the ecodiesel setup in theory what else is there?

If your talking about copying the EcoDiesel ECM(05150767AC), your not going to have much luck as it uses an entirely different one than the gassers. You would have to extract the code that runs the PWM output but that could be quite in depth as it monitor s the coolant, oil and AC system. I do know the PWM fan is controlled out of the ECM as several tuners would change the parameters of the fan operation.
The 850 watt PWM fan the EcoDiesel and now the Gen5 Hemi uses would be ideal if you could get the correct signal to run it.

gixxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
The factory e-fan (atleast on my truck with the 4.7) would run when the engine needed help before i installed my current 3.7V6 e-fan.

The 3.7 e-fan sucks so much air it’s unbelievable. I stuck my hand in front of the grille when the e-fan was on and it blew me away (no pun intended) with how much air it was pulling through. Best upgrade i’ve done so far, and not to mention my truck feels a crap ton quicker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was it easy to do on your 4.7? Any modification?

I have a 2013 with the 4.7. What year was yours?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

Run it with the stock efan first.I've never replaced the stock electric fan on either my old 13 4.7 or my 5.7.See if you actually need the V6 fan before spending money on it.You only have 4 days of Summer to worry about in Sask anyways,lol.Just razzing ya,i'm over here north of Calgary,lol

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8

It was very easy to do on my 4.7, but i recommend soaking the fan clutch nut for a bit with P.B Blaster.

No modification, haven’t even got a tune to lower fan on speed. It kicks on at 222°F

First off, remove your serpentine belt, the bolt to loosen the tensioner is a 15mm. Diagram below b01ad7a8b412f957288b8d79e0c63828.jpg

Take 2 pairs of vise grips after the belt is removed and hold the water pump pulley with them, be VERY careful and use as little pressure on it as possible with the vice grips.

Once you loosen the nut, which in the case of the 4.7 is lefty loosey righty tighty, remove the fan shroud, which is done with removing the clips around it and at the bottom of it.

Once done, remove the 2 bolts holding in the factory e-fan and install the V6 e-fan. Plug it in, should work flawlessly.

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8

Forgot to add, mines also a 2013.

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
Installing the v6 fan was the easiest mod, I've done to the RAM. Pipe wrench, and socket and ratchet. Twenty minutes,

Took longer to take replacement fan out of the box than it did take off old fan and install new.

Mine kicks on at 198. I have a diablo i3. Truck never overheats. Even with a tandom 7x14 behind it with two 900 lb Harleys in the trailer.

gixxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Run it with the stock efan first.I've never replaced the stock electric fan on either my old 13 4.7 or my 5.7.See if you actually need the V6 fan before spending money on it.You only have 4 days of Summer to worry about in Sask anyways,lol.Just razzing ya,i'm over here north of Calgary,lol

But those 4 days of summer get really hot! Haha

gixxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
It was very easy to do on my 4.7, but i recommend soaking the fan clutch nut for a bit with P.B Blaster.

No modification, haven’t even got a tune to lower fan on speed. It kicks on at 222°F

First off, remove your serpentine belt, the bolt to loosen the tensioner is a 15mm. Diagram below b01ad7a8b412f957288b8d79e0c63828.jpg

Take 2 pairs of vise grips after the belt is removed and hold the water pump pulley with them, be VERY careful and use as little pressure on it as possible with the vice grips.

Once you loosen the nut, which in the case of the 4.7 is lefty loosey righty tighty, remove the fan shroud, which is done with removing the clips around it and at the bottom of it.

Once done, remove the 2 bolts holding in the factory e-fan and install the V6 e-fan. Plug it in, should work flawlessly.

Do you plug the opening with anything for where the fan would go into the water pump?

So you used a 3.7 fan and shroud? What year was the 3.7?

I looked and there was the 3.6 for the same year. The pic is the part numbers for the 3.6 and 2013.

Screenshot_20210203-104023_Chrome.jpg

gixxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
My biggest issue with the e-fan is increased operating temps without being tuned.

I don’t like having the engine up to 223°F before it does anything, so i’ll have to get a tuner soon and lower the temp the fan kicks onto to 180, and install a 180 thermo.

The only thing you may want to consider is if you live in a place that gets winter. I've heard of guys doing this up north and their trucks don't blow enough hot air to keep them warm as the engine doesn't heat up to 190

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you plug the opening with anything for where the fan would go into the water pump?

I looked and there was the 3.6 for the same year. The pic is the part numbers for the 3.6 and 2013.

View attachment 236185
That fan will not work. 2009-2012 v6 fan. 2013 and newer is a different style and will not plug in. It requires a different controller as well. I’m in the process of testing a module that will control that fan assembly.

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8

View attachment 236185

3.6 E-fan will not work, connectors are different.

No, you don’t need to plug the water pump pulley with anything, you can just leave it alone and it’ll be fine.

Mine was from a 2012 3.7V6. ONLY get the 3.7V6 efan. the 2013+ Pentastar 3.6 Efan will NOT work.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
The only thing you may want to consider is if you live in a place that gets winter. I've heard of guys doing this up north and their trucks don't blow enough hot air to keep them warm as the engine doesn't heat up to 190

Don't spend any money on the 3.7 fan,till you actually see if you need it Gixxer. I race my truck,and i've also ran it through the mountains with my foot stuck through the floor on a 32C day and it never over heated. I also ran with-out the shroud in place on either truck. Throw the stock clutch fan in the truck if you're worried about it over heating,as you can always wind it back on by hand in about a minute on the side of the road if you figure the trucks running to hot,and then buy the 3.7 fan.Don't cheap out on the 3.7 fan if you do feel you need it,buy the factory one,the aftermarket "cheap" fans don't have a good rep for lasting.

clint440

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The unshrouded AC efan will keep the engine cool but it will be running a lot to keep up. I'm now using the 3.7 fan made by Dorman. It's not much more expensive than TYC, and quality wise seems the same as MOPAR for a lot less money. Having the shroud make a big difference in reducing run time. If you do buy a non-mopar fan you could swap out the motor from your factory AC efan.

I use a 190 thermostat and coolant temps always stay in the 190s even when I was towing a 24ft enclosed trailer. The 3.7 style fan will move some air, clean up the engine bay, and improve throttle response.

gixxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Don't spend any money on the 3.7 fan,till you actually see if you need it Gixxer. I race my truck,and i've also ran it through the mountains with my foot stuck through the floor on a 32C day and it never over heated. I also ran with-out the shroud in place on either truck. Throw the stock clutch fan in the truck if you're worried about it over heating,as you can always wind it back on by hand in about a minute on the side of the road if you figure the trucks running to hot,and then buy the 3.7 fan.Don't cheap out on the 3.7 fan if you do feel you need it,buy the factory one,the aftermarket "cheap" fans don't have a good rep for lasting.

I'm mainly doing it to free up the space in the engine bay and to free up parasitic loss of the clutch fan.

I'd also like to install a switch for the fan in the truck so I can override it if I want.

gixxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Installing the v6 fan was the easiest mod, I've done to the RAM. Pipe wrench, and socket and ratchet. Twenty minutes,

Took longer to take replacement fan out of the box than it did take off old fan and install new.

Mine kicks on at 198. I have a diablo i3. Truck never overheats. Even with a tandom 7x14 behind it with two 900 lb Harleys in the trailer.

With your tuner you were able to adjust what temp the fan kicks on?

I thought the thermostat would control that?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
With your tuner you were able to adjust what temp the fan kicks on?

I thought the thermostat would control that?

Nope,you have to adjust the fans On/Off parameters via a tune.Good news is a used cheap Diablo T1000 will work on your 13 4.7,just make sure it's been unmarried before you buy it.Don't pay any more then 200 Canuck at most for a older T1000.There is a bit of a work around,and that's leave the heater controls on the defrost setting,that usually kicks the electric fan in,but that's only a temporary fix,till you find a tuner.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you carry your clutch fan and ever want to screw it on again, then you must protect the threads on the water pump. Protect with grease and a cover.
Otherwise they will rust up and since it is such a fine thread, the fan just often won't thread on very far.

I run factory Efan with factory shroud on my 16, never run hot even in 90+ temps, high humidity and towing.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
If you carry your clutch fan and ever want to screw it on again, then you must protect the threads on the water pump. Protect with grease and a cover.
Otherwise they will rust up and since it is such a fine thread, the fan just often won't thread on very far.

I run factory Efan with factory shroud on my 16, never run hot even in 90+ temps, high humidity and towing.

Or clean them up with a small wire brush and lightly paint the threads.

gixxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Nope,you have to adjust the fans On/Off parameters via a tune.Good news is a used cheap Diablo T1000 will work on your 13 4.7,just make sure it's been unmarried before you buy it.Don't pay any more then 200 Canuck at most for a older T1000.There is a bit of a work around,and that's leave the heater controls on the defrost setting,that usually kicks the electric fan in,but that's only a temporary fix,till you find a tuner.

It is so hard to find them reasonably priced here. I don't know what it is with people in Saskatchewan that sell things like bald tires for $50.

I can find tuners for $350 is but they can't tell me if they unmarried the unit.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
It is so hard to find them reasonably priced here. I don't know what it is with people in Saskatchewan that sell things like bald tires for $50.

I can find tuners for $350 is but they can't tell me if they unmarried the unit.

Google "Quick Times",it's a little high performance buy/sell mag that's printed in Alberta,sometimes you'll find used tuners on it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reyzapien88