Installing OEM backup cam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I've been trying that one. Thought it was just this computer but it won't pull up on my phone either. I'll try the laptop at home later.
Mediafire can be a bit flakey. Sometimes i have difficulty getting my own files downloaded after logging in to my own account.

PS: sign up for 3 days of TechAuthority when you have long a weekend, then use that time downloading and saving the schematics as PDFs. Give your wife flowers first, you won't see her much that weekend.
Probably what I will end up doing.

Sent from my LG G4 on Tapatalk.

Last edited:

Padre675

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Tradesman Crew
Engine
4.7L V8 FFV
Mediafire can be a bit flakey. Sometimes i have difficulty getting my own files downloaded after logging in to my own account.

PS: sign up for 3 days of TechAuthority when you have long a weekend, then use that time downloading and saving the schematics as PDFs. Give your wife flowers first, you won't see her much that weekend.
Probably what I will end up doing.

I'll keep trying. It downloads on my phone, but says it's not a valid file.

That's my plan with Techauthority as well. I already owe her flowers just from being on here. At least I got some bonus points because I have our son helping me with everything, so he's learning a "manly skill" (her words).

Jared4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Bighorn CC
Engine
In and done. BCM wire was a tad hard to get to but not too bad. I used the small nipple below the bulkhead fitting on the drivers side firewall to pass the wires through. I used a small piece of wire to pull the harness with the aid of some WD40 on the harness wrap. Pulled through like a charm.20160313_161405.jpg

JT

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1457903925726.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1457903925726.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

Express Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Nice job looks good. I plan on tackling this in a couple months.

Sent from my SM-G900R6 using Tapatalk

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
In and done. BCM wire was a tad hard to get to but not too bad. I used the small nipple below the bulkhead fitting on the drivers side firewall to pass the wires through. I used a small piece of wire to pull the harness with the aid of some WD40 on the harness wrap. Pulled through like a charm.20160313_161405.jpg

JT
Looks good , glad to see you got it done !
I see your profile says " mechanic "
Now that your done , on a scale of 1 - 10 what would you Sir rate this OEM Kit install difficulty wise ?

Jared4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Bighorn CC
Engine
Looks good , glad to see you got it done !
I see your profile says " mechanic "
Now that your done , on a scale of 1 - 10 what would you Sir rate this OEM Kit install difficulty wise ?
Yup im a mechanic. Do a ton of electrical/multiplex and hydraulic stuff. My opinion the BCM wire was the most difficult part just because its so cramped in there. I spent most of my time running the harness and zip tying stuff than anything else. Just remember when pinning the plugs look at their numbering from the back of the plugs!! Overall I would rate this a 6-7 on the scale. I didn't need any special tools other than a paperclip to remove the 2 lock power pins from the tailgate harness. I also did not have to replace the harness inside my tailgate, it had all wires populated on my 14 Express.

JT

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mine was the same in the tailgate . Pretty easy self install kit with good instructions imo . Definitely worth doing yourself!

LOL the hardest part for me was actually finding the BCM , then figuring out the C-5 connector was actually labeled " E"
Once I found the BCM through process of elimination there was only one connector with 45 pins and 45 was the right color ...

Padre675

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Tradesman Crew
Engine
4.7L V8 FFV
So I just installed the RA2 in my 2013 Tradesman last night. When backing into my spot at work this morning I noticed that the screen turned blue and gave the "Check Surroundings" message. It also opened up the settings menu to turn on/off the guidelines and camera delay.

I've already checked the wiring at the tailgate and underneath, this is a future project I intend on doing as soon as my accountant (wife) allots me the money for the camera and harnesses. I've got the locking tailgate and all 8 wires coming down to the until the pigtail at the spare, then it goes only 2 wires on the body side.

What do you guys think I'm looking at when I go to do the install? By the way this group is awesome, I love the knowledge sharing.

Thanks in advance.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Padre675,
Do you have a 1500, 2500, or 3500?

Last edited:

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
Well you at least shouldn't have that stupid tailgate connector extension that makes everyone think they have all 8 wires.

Also see this link for what to look for at each of the 4 factory connectors...
http://www.ramforum.com/showthread.php?p=1235315

We used to be able to pull up your vehicle VIN specific schematic to verify what was installed, but lost that ability about 3 weeks ago

Padre675

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Tradesman Crew
Engine
4.7L V8 FFV
Yea, I'll figure it the wiring. I know at least I'll have to run the under-body harness. I just didn't want to have to splice or cut through the firewall boot if possible.

TxAggie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 6.7
- Post 26: I am betting you have already looked at it, but just in case you haven't. It shows the correct location for the Camera Wires at the radio as well as the color codes for pins 1,2,3 that people sometimes mix up with it and have to put back correctly for the radio to come on. NOTE: there are small reference pin numbers embossed on the back of the connector.
(sounds like you may have already figured this out).

- Blue Screen in reverse = XAC sales code flash good

- "System not Available" blue screen message? (no one has mentioned that yet)
Sounds likely since there isn't any power going back to the camera from the PDC yet. Not sure if you have seen RLK's Post 290 referencing the PDC power wire at C7-13 (I have a bunch of links in Post 10).

I bet there are likely tiny embossed numbers on the PDC connectors that can also be used for confirmation.

Hope this helps.

So from the photos posted for the PDC, my wiring looks completely different. I don't have anything at the spot shown in the other pictures, my pk/yo wire is several spots to the left. 13' 2500 tradesman.

So where do I connect to?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

TxAggie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 6.7
So from the photos posted for the PDC, my wiring looks completely different. I don't have anything at the spot shown in the other pictures, my pk/yo wire is several spots to the left. 13' 2500 tradesman.

So where do I connect to?

I also finally got my BCM connector disassembled, to find that slot 45 does not have any wire connected to it.

So would I just connect straight into these two slots with the wires from the kit rather than splicing into anything? And where can I get the connections for the end of the wires (internet only or any suggestion on auto parts store, etc.)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 46

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Bump.
Hopefully one of the guys that did the full install will comment, but

- if you are ABSOLUTELY certain the BCM C5/E pin 45 wire (Lin Bus CBC3) is not populated then I believe the directions tell you to install the pre-crimped pin/wire in the cavity.
Check & recheck first! (no one else has had this happen yet. Doesn't mean it isn't possible)

- Same goes for the PDC wire. Recheck! No one that has done the full install has reported not having the 12v wire already populated.
Edit: comparing your PDC picture to RLK's (post 290), I don't see the PK/yl wire populated at C7-13 either. Don't see a few others also. But sure if there is a pin already crimped on the end of the new wire, but if you are sure of the pin location, you may be able to just install it in the connector.

(You will need to be able to disassemble/release both connector's TPA locks before you can insert the pins)

Last edited:

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yea, I'll figure it the wiring. I know at least I'll have to run the under-body harness. I just didn't want to have to splice or cut through the firewall boot if possible.

You don't have to go through the boot . There's an unused plate on the firewall just to the right of the boot , I just drilled a hole in it and use it to rout the harness through . Several others have done the same , if you need a picture I'll take one and post it up for ya .

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I also finally got my BCM connector disassembled, to find that slot 45 does not have any wire connected to it.

So would I just connect straight into these two slots with the wires from the kit rather than splicing into anything? And where can I get the connections for the end of the wires (internet only or any suggestion on auto parts store, etc.)
Mine is a 1500 , not sure if any different?

Are you installing the oem kit ?
What two slots are you talking about ?

I've read sometimes the wire colors do not match the installation instructions.
@ the BCM C -5 connector socket # 45 if there's no wire there just insert the purple wire from the kit there ( mine had the pin pre-installed )
As far as the PDC , your wire may be a diff color , suggestion , with an ohm meter locate the Parkview 10 amp fuse socket (yours may be empty) anyway verify continuity from the fuse socket and the bottom side to verify the proper color wire to splice into for your truck .

Hope this helps

Last edited:

Padre675

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Tradesman Crew
Engine
4.7L V8 FFV
You don't have to go through the boot . There's an unused plate on the firewall just to the right of the boot , I just drilled a hole in it and use it to rout the harness through . Several others have done the same , if you need a picture I'll take one and post it up for ya .

Thanks. I know the spot you're talking about. I'm still a month or so from putting the backup camera in, but I'm just trying to familiarize myself with everything before I get to it. Next stop is getting the 3-day trial on techauthority to get my wiring diagrams.

What I'm wondering is that since I have to run the wires from the i550 along the truck to the C322, can I just populate them into the C322 and not have to touch the firewall or boot? I'm guessing I'll be able to tell better once I get my truck's wiring diagram.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not sure what C322 is ?
My instructions said :

1) install handle & inside tailgate harness .

2) Relocate the locking pins #7 & 8

3) route the body harness to the PDC , splice in power & attach the ground.

4)rout the remaining wires through the firewall .

5) splice the purple wire (or plug it in ) @ BCM C-5 socket #45 .

6) terminate the yellow wire by taping it back into the harness .
I'm Assuming your routing it to the radio for display . If not I think your instructing ties the yellow wire into the BCM C -7 ?

8) assemble the supplied connector to the remaining wires pulled through the firewall . Plug it up to the radio harness

9) populate the radio pins # 31 , 32 , 33 into the unpopulated C-1 radio connector . ☆☆ if 31,32,33 are populated remove them and install the kits wires , some have cut them , taped back and soldered to them . I recommend removing them if installed .

10) flash in sales code @ the dealer . This step can be done at any time , if done prior you'll just get the blue screen in reverse .

×××× IMPORTANT ×××× step#8 above ☆☆ make sure the 3ea wires for the radio harness are in line with the same color wires !
This has been a problem area for some . I suggest only installing the three wires for the radio display (if going to the radio ) the rest of the wires are for the mirror display only , they imo could be taped back into the harness or just not terminated in the connector @ this time . This will lessen the %% of hooking up wrong .
Also , another problem area has been @ the C-1 connectors 31 , 32 , 33 . Try looking at the radio side , pin 31 is clearly marked .

Hope this helps someone !

Last edited:

Padre675

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Tradesman Crew
Engine
4.7L V8 FFV
Not sure what C322 is ?
My instructions said :

1) install handle & inside tailgate harness .

2) Relocate the locking pins #7 & 8

3) route the body harness to the PDC , splice in power & attach the ground.

4)rout the remaining wires through the firewall .

5) splice the purple wire (or plug it in ) @ BCM C-5 socket #45 .

6) terminate the yellow wire by taping it back into the harness .
I'm Assuming your routing it to the radio for display . If not I think your instructing ties the yellow wire into the BCM C -7 ?

8) assemble the supplied connector to the remains wires pulled through the firewall . Plug it up to the radio harness

9) populate the radio pins # 31 , 32 , 33 into the unpopulated C-1 radio connector . ☆☆ if 31,32,33 are populated remove them and install the kits wires , some have cut them , taped back and soldered to them . I recommend removing them if installed .

10) flash in sales code @ the dealer . This step can be done at any time , if done prior you'll just get the blue screen in reverse .

×××× IMPORTANT ×××× step#8 above ☆☆ make sure the 3ea wires for the radio harness are in line with the same color wires !
This has been a problem area for some . I suggest only installing the three wires for the radio display (if going to the radio ) the rest of the wires are for the mirror display only , they imo could be taped back into the harness or just not terminated in the connector @ this time . This will lessen the %% of hooking up wrong .
Also , another problem are has been @ the C-1 connectors 31 , 32 , 33 . Try looking at the radio side , pin 31 is clearly marked .

Hope this helps someone !

Sorry, I was wanting to go without having to cut or splice anything. The C322 is the connector under the truck behind the DS Front Wheel. It's pictured in Post #625 that Mpgrimm2 quoted below.

Well you at least shouldn't have that stupid tailgate connector extension that makes everyone think they have all 8 wires.

Also see this link for what to look for at each of the 4 factory connectors...
Installing OEM backup cam - Page 63 - DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums

We used to be able to pull up your vehicle VIN specific schematic to verify what was installed, but lost that ability about 3 weeks ago

I know there's the directions with the OEM kit, which it sounds like that's the route that you took. Then there's the method that was used with Jeepguy1980's harness (rest his soul). I was thinking on going that route, I know I would have to source and fabricate the harness.

Like I said, I'm just picking brains and making notes. I guess once I get the wiring diagrams I'll be able to see it a little bit better.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juanita Kelley