Intermittent Wiper Problem Fixed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Okay, I did a search on this and it keeps coming back "No Results" so I figured I'd just start a new post here in the DIY category. After procrastinating on this since I purchased the truck (lousy weather) I finally couldn't put it off any longer. Looking at a whole week of sunshine!
I pulled all the fascia off to get to the wiper motor and linkage assembly which turned out to be a lot simpler than I expected. 2 hex screws and a bunch of those plastic thumb tacks is all that held it in place. Of course, it's 2 pieces that slide together in the middle. That helped a lot. Then there are only 3 bolts holding the assembly in place. With those out, I put the motor and linkage on the work bench (my wife's plant stand) and flipped 5 clips open and removed the plastic cover on the back. Took some 400 grit sand paper to the contacts and a needle nose pliers to bend them up a tad, then cleaned up the part with the tracks on it and suddenly remembered that I don't have any electrical grease (dialectric contact grease) to replace all the stuff I just cleaned off. Next time I'll be more prepared and I'm sure there'll be a next time since I didn't grease it up. Anyway, I clicked the plastic cover back on and remounted the assembly then put a single wiper blade on so I could test it. Sprayed the windshield with glass cleaner and jumped in the cab. Turned the key to ACC and clicked the switch to the first setting (super slow). It worked! Did one swipe and waited, and waited, and waited. Then darn if she didn't do another single swipe! Hallelujah. Cleaned the fascia up with ArmorAll and put it all back together. Tried it again and it did exactly what it's supposed to. I'm a happy camper! :33: