Leak from driver side wheel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Biggro23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas what could be causing a leak from the front driver side wheel area. I couldn't tell where it was coming from and it looked like an oily substance. It ain't leaking a lot and it seems to only leak when the truck has set for a bit. If anyone has any ideas please share. I did get the ball joints replaced a couple weeks ago and this started happening soon after. Also my truck is lifted about 6 inches.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If your seeing the leaking on the inside of the rim, I would check the brake line and/or caliper.
If it's further in and leaving spots on the ground, check the axle seal

OP
OP
B

Biggro23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
It is 4wd and it's a light brown color which I did change the oil a couple days ago. I was thinking maybe an axle seal after looking it up but wasn't sure.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If your axle vent tube is plugged up it can force oil out of the axle seals. You would see oil leaking by the inner CV shafts. It also could be a be seal.

lharrell79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It is 4wd and it's a light brown color which I did change the oil a couple days ago. I was thinking maybe an axle seal after looking it up but wasn't sure.

It could be brake fluid, or gear oil. If you just changed the gear oil a couple of days ago, I would start there. You'll have to crawl under the front and take a look where the u-joint and stub shaft come out of the axle housing. If it's a seal, it will be coming from this area. If it's brake fluid, it will be coming from the calipers, hoses, or banjo bolts.