Lifter Failure / Hot Oil / Better Cooling etc.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Also how the heck are people turning their oil pumps like in this video?

I have all the bolts out and it will not turn clockwise like this shows at all.

I think he's working on a car and not a truck.The car oil pans are differant,and i think allow a little more movement then you'll get with a trucks oilpan configuration.The sump on the cars is at the front while the trucks sump is at the rear so,so the pick-up tube is shorter and a differant shape then the trucks oil pick-up tube

OP
OP
Black1500Ram

Black1500Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’ve seen a few videos of people rotating the oil pump but yeah I’m just going to drop the pan a half inchor whatever. Again not fun in the truck soo much crap in the way.

everything about this job sucks in the truck lol.

But at least once it’s done it’ll be done and I won’t have to touch this dumb truck again for anything major for another 200k hopefully

Last edited:
OP
OP
Black1500Ram

Black1500Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
no f’n way you have to drop all this stuff just to lower the oil pan!?
Someone please tell me I can drop my oil pan by like a half inch without having to take even more of this stupid truck apart.

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
no f’n way you have to drop all this stuff just to lower the oil pan!?
Someone please tell me I can drop my oil pan by like a half inch without having to take even more of this stupid truck apart.

Grind/narrow the box end of a cheap wrench and heat it up, then bend the wrench so you can get it on the pick-up tube bolt and remove it,then carefully wiggle the tube out of the pump. Then wrap tooth floss around the bolt so that when you pull on it,the bolt turns right (the old righty tighty /lefty loosey saying,lol),then use your finger to hold the bolt in place and use the dental floss to start it. Make sure you don't tear or dislodge the O-ring,or you'll be taking it apart and doing it all over again.

OP
OP
Black1500Ram

Black1500Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Aaaand this stupid thing doesn’t compress the spring enough for me to get the keepers in!
(Jaws aren’t long enough / stupid holder in the middle is too long to reach a lower coil on the spring.

Just ordered the powerhouse hemi specific tool from Amazon doesnt get here until tomorrow mf

Oh well guess I’m Ubering on monday.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
OP
OP
Black1500Ram

Black1500Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok so I have a way bigger issue at hand. I cannot get the #3 cylinder, rear lifter out. There is something hitting on the inner side of the lifter bore, also most likely what my tapping was since all my other lifters look immaculate. No play in the bearings.

Wth could this be? And wth do I do if I can’t get it out?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Black1500Ram

Black1500Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok vice grip on the lifter so it doesn’t just fall through, cam out corresponding lobe is wiped, with pitting on cylinders 4 and 2 as well.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 21
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 21
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
OP
OP
Black1500Ram

Black1500Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
*edit. Looking down the cam galley with a flashlight - The roller pin has shifted ever so slightly where it’s catching the outside edge of the lifter bore.

Are these things magnetic? Could I get it out with a strong extendable magnet through the cam bore??

Link to vid
Stuck lifter

Last edited:
OP
OP
Black1500Ram

Black1500Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Confirmed via my magnetic oil drain plug that the lifters are magnetic.

Going to get an extension magnet and cut some cardboard to make a tray to slide into the cam galley just in case so I don’t drop it.

Meanwhile, drivers side head gasket surface is clean and afe header is bolted on… missing a bolt I just found out so I’ll buy another one from lowes or hd. Wire brush head is on its way from Amazon today so I’ll use that to clean the combustion chamber thanks @Wild one.

Oil is dropped, next up is dropping the oil pan by half an inch or so. My pump has 0 play in it so getting a wrench in there isn’t going to happen as is. Wasn’t expecting all that’s necessary just to lower the pan but I am keeping calm and carrying on.

So far, valve spring tool, brittcle plastics, and stuck lifter are the headaches otherwise this is all coming along rather smoothly / as expected.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Black1500Ram

Black1500Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Success! Failed lifer out thanks to extending magnet and long piece of cardboard to stop it from falling down into the block. Pulled out through the cam opening.

Roller is completed frozen and worn with the pin staring to walk out

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 25
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 24
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 24
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
OP
OP
Black1500Ram

Black1500Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok new cam and lifters in.
I’m really astounded that I can’t get to this oil pump pickup tube bolt. I’m not gonna drop the pan after investigating, basically every bolt is blocked somehow.

I may leave the oem pump (really don’t want to)

Wait no that’s not an option cause I can’t get my timing chain off without the pump off ooohh wtf Chrysler and your ****** design lol

Wait a minute my trans coolant lines block a bolt on the passenger side and there’s electrical connector attached to a bolt-stud on the drivers side….

Last edited:
OP
OP
Black1500Ram

Black1500Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
WTF did I just watch...Thats some serious backyard redneck ****... lol.

Ill stick to droping the oil pan.
Hey are you 2wd? You’ve gotta be to say I’ll just drop the pan. I’m looking at what’s involved on the 4wd trucks and you basically have to remove everything under it.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
@Wild one the grinded doen 13mm worked!

50psi spring vs 70psi on right
I think i'd be using the 50 psi spring,you could throw a couple shims under it and bring it up a bit. I think 70 is a bit much with the stock bearing clearances,but that's only my thoughts

OP
OP
Black1500Ram

Black1500Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think i'd be using the 50 psi spring,you could throw a couple shims under it and bring it up a bit. I think 70 is a bit much with the stock bearing clearances,but that's only my thoughts
I am using the 50psi spring in the hellcat pump. i only want the added flow benefits in low rpm. Stock I was getting 60psi at 5k rpm

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Boy, that camshaft axis sure is way, way up there in the block. Without robust rocker arm oil drainback, that thing isn't going to see much lubrication otherwise. Cams were never intended to be primarily oiled via crank counterweight splash windage. Unlike the Briggs & Stratton oil dipper splashers.