Lifter Failure / Hot Oil / Better Cooling etc.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
USPS horrible in my area.
I can say for sure complaints with the USPS are worth it. Find your local postmaster and complain to him/her directly. Find local PM here. If any issue happen again, call the 800 number and save your complaint record. Every local area have a meeting every single day where every PM in on a group call and they do not want to have complaints brought up. The post office will most very likely solve what the issue is and your driver also takes note. Usually it is a relief driver thing, issues with regulars are rare but if your regular driver is messing up, complain is my advice. That looks like a mail sort issue, maybe harder to fix, but if there are other problems lodge a complaint. The post offices farms out mail sort to office, so somewhere in that chain looks to be the issue. That looks to be hand ripped, that is bad imo.

Burn2k12Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can say for sure complaints with the USPS are worth it. Find your local postmaster and complain to him/her directly. Find local PM here. If any issue happen again, call the 800 number and save your complaint record. Every local area have a meeting every single day where every PM in on a group call and they do not want to have complaints brought up. The post office will most very likely solve what the issue is and your driver also takes note. Usually it is a relief driver thing, issues with regulars are rare but if your regular driver is messing up, complain is my advice. That looks like a mail sort issue, maybe harder to fix, but if there are other problems lodge a complaint. The post offices farms out mail sort to office, so somewhere in that chain looks to be the issue. That looks to be hand ripped, that is bad imo.
Good info. Almost did file a complaint but was my daughters new school backpack and luckily was not damaged. If it was I most definitely would file a complaint. Now I have the info to easily do so in future. I am betting you are right probably a relief driver we have had a few lately I have noticed. Still one would think there would be care involved unless like you said a sort issue. Who knows.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
Nope
They had the secure web lock thing. This was a sale.

FWIW, I purchased three gallons of Red Line 5w/30 from Eliteracefab.com March of this year and had no issues with receiving my order from FedEx. within a week.
I must have been lucky.
After reading the crap your having with your order I'm going to purchase Red Line from another reputable/responsible seller that doesn't use FedEx for shipping ...

Last edited:

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
FWIW, I purchased three gallons of Red Line 5w/30 from Eliteracefab.com March of this year and had no issues with receiving my order from FedEx. within a week.
I must have been lucky.
After reading the crap your having with your order I'm going to purchase Red Line from another reputable/responsible seller that doesn't use FedEx for shipping ...

Do vendors tell you up front? I've seen then use different delivery services for a single service.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
Do vendors tell you up front? I've seen then use different delivery services for a single service.

I've never considered or was concerned about how I received my packages that I ordered online.

Just for argument sakes, I talked with Summit Racing a few minutes ago and asked if there is a delivery carrier option. Summit Racing can "force" a preferred carrier if the order is placed by phone as there isn't a choice option by ordering online and not all online merchants give choices on how thier order is sent to the customer ... so, it seems that larger retailers will be glad to offer preferred shipping if the order is placed over the phone?

Idk, ... I do know that these retailers sure don't have any problem charging my credit card account.

Last edited:

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
Don't fix hemi tick with an new cam and lifters until and if there is a misfire code, there is a forum of grumpy people mad because they did. It is indeed hit or miss if that hemi tick ticks after this, I lost count here. You already are trying a lubrication strategy, I'd try that first. That is my 2 cents, good luck either way.

If you are mechanically inclined, try popping off the heads and valve covers and try some things such as adjusting the last or seeing if there is play. But if it were me I'd try to redline thing first, might literally fix this.

^^^ This ^^^ ...

OP, this is good advice and it sure can't hurt a thing. If I start having issues with my HEMI starting to tick because of lifter/can failure and I catch the issue before it actually implodes I'll replace those and use a good oil (strategy) such as mentioned along with an Royal Purple 20-820 or Amsoil equivalent.

My HEMI had the occasional drive chain clatter when I was using Pennzoil Platinum 5w/20 /30 oil and Mopar MO339 and Purolator Boss PBL 24651oil filters

I switched to Red Line 5w/30 and Royal Purple 20-820 two oil changes ago and my HEMI is super quiet at start up and operates very smooth ...

Good luck and happy motoring.

OP
OP
Black1500Ram

Black1500Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Did this engine do a lot of idling? Service manager friend of mine says that majority of cam/lifter jobs that he has done have been vehicles that idle a lot, mainly police vehicles.
Hi Magnum,
I'm aware of the idling issue... no 700 idle hours 3700 running hours

OP
OP
Black1500Ram

Black1500Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So just did the trans heater bypass.. that absolutely sucked!!

Firstly you need a t40 torx bit to take off the park cable bracket which is in the way of the cap to remove the trans tstat.

My bottom bolt rounded and I of course being in my apartment, didn’t have my full array of tools (tool box is in storage) so no vice grips to take the bolt out. If this happens to you, stop do no proceed! Vice grip or cut the head off of that stupid bolt and remove the cable bracket. It was a nightmare to work around. You will be able to vice grip the remainder of the bolt to get it out and replace with a new one if you have to cut it.

Ok to let’s assume you get the park cable bolts off successfully, there is minimal trans fluid that comes out, approx 2-3 shot glasses worth as others have mentioned. No noticeable change in trans performance.

The new bypass valve is easily swapped in but then comes the hard part. To get the valve and cap back in you need to depress the spring on the new valve a bit and then get the snap ring back in place securely. This is NOT fun… everything is in your way with the park cable bracket in the way (I bent and rotated it slightly).

Also if you off road your truck like i do… take 20 minutes the day before you attempt to do this and thoroughly clean the underside of your truck. Dirt WILL get in your eyes even with safety glasses on… ask me how I know.

So far 197° coolant, 203° oil and 140° trans temp, 110° ambient with AGS delete and trans heater bypass.

Another 1200 mile trip this weekend to let the cleaner work. Still tapping away.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Black1500Ram

Black1500Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Back from my trip to NM through the same route 87 mountain pass I usually take. Coolant never topped 200, oil never broke 220, and trans temp stayed below 150/160. A few time in NM with the temps in the 60’s (glorious break from phoenix’s 110+) the trans would be 110-130. Any thoughts if this is “too cold?” Amsoil signature atf fluid.

Also, got my first UOA back…
This is only 2500 miles when I dropped a few quarts out to add the cleaner in the engine.

High iron, and low viscosity were the two points I was curious about.

Penny for your thoughts?

James

Attachments

• 8DE99BAB-47BF-4582-A6EF-CE7852A634A8.jpeg
    8DE99BAB-47BF-4582-A6EF-CE7852A634A8.jpeg
    154.8 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Back from my trip to NM through the same route 87 mountain pass I usually take. Coolant never topped 200, oil never broke 220, and trans temp stayed below 150/160. A few time in NM with the temps in the 60’s (glorious break from phoenix’s 110+) the trans would be 110-130. Any thoughts if this is “too cold?” Amsoil signature atf fluid.

This is only 2500 miles when I dropped a few quarts out to add the cleaner in the engine.

Penny for your thoughts?

James

No. Normal auto trans oil temp was 140-160F before these car companies started futzing with every microscopic fuel economy increase they could find.

I'd rather my transmission didn't overheat than attain another 0.0000001 mpg fuel economy. Transmissions don't support combustion - they don't need to run at elevated temperature. All that does is burn oil quicker.

OP
OP
Black1500Ram

Black1500Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No. Normal auto trans oil temp was 140-160F before these car companies started futzing with every microscopic fuel economy increase they could find.

I'd rather my transmission didn't overheat than attain another 0.0000001 mpg fuel economy. Transmissions don't support combustion - they don't need to run at elevated temperature. All that does is burn oil quicker.
140-160 is what I was expecting. Even when 60° the trans eventually got to 138-140 but there was a lot of 110-140 also at varying times, cruising etc.

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

Penny for your thoughts?

James
metal out of tolerance can shread viscosity very easily, but that oil isnt overly sheared. Do you know the starting viscosity?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I saw that, but I posted something recently on 4 or 5 0w40's and they sheared way lower then this. Mind you I see the shear, but it could be worse. Viscosity and iron levels by themselves do not suggest fatality. It isnt a young engine, but also there isnt something that says this engine is done yet. So until that day, there is still hope for it.

OP
OP
Black1500Ram

Black1500Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I saw that, but I posted something recently on 4 or 5 0w40's and they sheared way lower then this. Mind you I see the shear, but it could be worse. Viscosity and iron levels by themselves do not suggest fatality. It isnt a young engine, but also there isnt something that says this engine is done yet. So until that day, there is still hope for it.
Yeah I’m just trying to buy time until it’s cooler and I can swap out the internals.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I still have some from 2010 in my garage., lmao? Store in mild environment if you can,. but don't worry about that one.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedFlameRam