MOPAR ATF +4 Spec Sheet?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Has anybody ever seen a Spec or Data Sheet for MOPAR's ATF +4 automatic transmission oil? I can't find one on the interweb.

I'm looking for MOPAR's sheet, not an aftermarket supplier (of course, an aftermarket supplier provides the oil to MOPAR, but I wanted to see the OEM spec requirement).

This oil is for Chrysler 6 speed RFE transmissions, not the 8 speed ZF. Comparing Amsoil Multi Vehicle ATF to Red Line +C ATF, Red Line specs are superior, btw. Interesting that the opposite is true for their differential gear oils. A lot of members are aware of this, I'm just getting prepped for my next gear oil changes.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Where you looking for visc mainly? I will see, we posted something on this, I think it came from the licensing page on who manu's atf-4. Multi is a great product from asmoil, but not geared toward the atf4 rfe which takes more of a traditional fluid just a bit thicker then multi choices.

OP
OP
HEMIMANN

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Where you looking for visc mainly? I will see, we posted something on this, I think it came from the licensing page on who manu's atf-4. Multi is a great product from asmoil, but not geared toward the atf4 rfe which takes more of a traditional fluid just a bit thicker then multi choices.

I want the entire specs, but there isn't any I can find. I searched Forum & interweb, but Forum has reorganized a number of times, spinning data into differing threads.

I already decided to run Red Line +C ATF in my RFE. Better properties than Amsoil, pours lower temp and pumps lower temp. Which is strange seeing how Red Line is known as a stiffer oil due to more POE base oil content.

Red Line has much high viscosity index as well, which is also strange for a POE compared to a majority PAO base oil. And, btw, RL & Amsoil ATF have identical 100C viscosity.

I wanted to know how MOPAR's brand name compared - because it's what I'm running now & I might change earlier if I find out it's not very good.

Also strange is the opposite is true for 8 speed ZF - Amsoil runs better than Red Line. wtf did those Germans do?

And finally - if their commissioned report is to be trusted, Amsoil is the bomb for differentials, except for my weird, AAM torsen locking diff. I don't want LS additive. So I just run 2nd best, Mobil 1 Delvac. Close enough.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I kinda doubt you will find a better aft4 then redline, that visc index is just stupid.

How about hpl, do they make an atf4?

OP
OP
HEMIMANN

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I kinda doubt you will find a better aft4 then redline, that visc index is just stupid.

How about hpl, do they make an atf4?

Yeah, haven't gotten that far yet. lol Just got through analyzing their engine oils. Happy to see Travis is our 1st guinea pig. I would have changed this fall with HPL if I hadn't gotten cases of Red Line already at their old pricing. I'll try to help rammfl decided what to do in a minute.

Lookit the typical published specs for the ATF's:

100C Vis (cSt) 7.5 Red Line 7.5 Amsoil

40C Vis (cSt) 32.3 Red Line 38.5 Amsoil

V.I. (cSt/deg C) 213 Red Line 165 Amsoil

Pour Point (C/F) -60/-76 Red Line -53/-63 Amsoil

Dyn Vis @ -40C/F (cP) 3800 Red Line 9755 Amsoil

Low temp ATF fluidity is a big deal up here & Canada. As is high temp thermal stability. $hit, our extreme temps in 2022 were +101F and -17F (usually lower), a 118F variation. Pretty stupid to live here.

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Reading all I can on the fluids as I am going to replace them end to end (except the rear diff, Im going to be putting a TruTrac in shortly). I realize this is about the 6RFE and not applicable to me, but still interesting.

OP
OP
HEMIMANN

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Reading all I can on the fluids as I am going to replace them end to end (except the rear diff, Im going to be putting a TruTrac in shortly). I realize this is about the 6RFE and not applicable to me, but still interesting.

If memory serves, TruTrac is a locker. Is it a torsen locker or e-locker?

White six four

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pretty stupid to live here.
I say that to everyone who lives in Minnesota.

I kid I kid

If you scroll down to "tech note 7" it has the msds you can click on and view. If that helps ya

OP
OP
HEMIMANN

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Need pds, not sds.

sds does not provide typical properties.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Then he would benefit from non LS gear oil.

I recommend Mobil 1 Delvac.
My plan for a TruTrac is RedLine NS, but I've seen results from people using almost everything without issue.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Just a heads up Detriot doesn't reconmend a synthetic gear lube with their Tru Tracs,they reconmend a mineral based GL5 lube.They claim the synthetic lubes don't create enough friction for the tru trac to work properly. I'm just passing on what's in their install manual,as i'm sure they're be lots of guys who will claim synthetic works . My tru trac has been living fine on cheap old GL5 mineral gear lube for 6 years now,and has more track passes and water box burn-outs on drag radials then most tru trac equipped trucks have

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Im going to do my transfer case and my front diff fluid change tomorrow. I have the PPE pan, just have to plan that out a bit. Need to order the gasket and fluid…Taking opinions on the fluid from those with wisdom…

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Daniel read my post above
From what I can find Detroit has waffled on that claim lately, now it refers to recommended manufacturer oil or something, not specifically non-synthetic. Lots of people on bitog and others that use synthetic non friction modified fluid with no issues. The Torsen doesn't rely on clutch friction so I'm not sure that synthetic would have a negative effect anyways?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Im going to do my transfer case and my front diff fluid change tomorrow. I have the PPE pan, just have to plan that out a bit. Need to order the gasket and fluid…Taking opinions on the fluid from those with wisdom…
OEM or Valvoline,avoid Redline it doesn't have a good rep in the 8 speed.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
From what I can find Detroit has waffled on that claim lately, now it refers to recommended manufacturer oil or something, not specifically non-synthetic. Lots of people on bitog and others that use synthetic non friction modified fluid with no issues. The Torsen doesn't rely on clutch friction so I'm not sure that synthetic would have a negative effect anyways?
If you dig deeper they're still saying mineral GL5 is the reconmended fluid. At the start of the manual they say reconmended fluid is okay,but if you dig into the manual farther and look under their specific Tru Trac reconmendations,they still say to use mineral based lube.If you dig far enough into the manual,you'll find this reconmendation.

" Truetrac units perform best when using GL5 mineral / petroleum based gear oil. Synthetic lubes are discouraged."

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I want the entire specs, but there isn't any I can find. I searched Forum & interweb, but Forum has reorganized a number of times, spinning data into differing threads.

I already decided to run Red Line +C ATF in my RFE. Better properties than Amsoil, pours lower temp and pumps lower temp. Which is strange seeing how Red Line is known as a stiffer oil due to more POE base oil content.

Red Line has much high viscosity index as well, which is also strange for a POE compared to a majority PAO base oil. And, btw, RL & Amsoil ATF have identical 100C viscosity.

I wanted to know how MOPAR's brand name compared - because it's what I'm running now & I might change earlier if I find out it's not very good.

Also strange is the opposite is true for 8 speed ZF - Amsoil runs better than Red Line. wtf did those Germans do?

And finally - if their commissioned report is to be trusted, Amsoil is the bomb for differentials, except for my weird, AAM torsen locking diff. I don't want LS additive. So I just run 2nd best, Mobil 1 Delvac. Close enough.
I believe the POE in redline is causing the slip in the zf8s. Whatever they did to the zf8s it doesnt seem to agree with redline. As far as i know it uses the same additive package as amsoils low viscosity fluid but amsoil is all PAO. HPL makes a PAO/AN atf using a state of the art addive package for zf8s and its green just like zfs fluid. They also make a blue atf thats also pao/AN that might work for you. I believe they recomend it in place or atf +4

As far as gear oil its hard to beat delvac 1. I got it in my front diff. HPL has their line of incredible gear oils. They are used in everything from border patrol fleets, big rigs, to pettyGMS team in nascar. Its good stuff!