More 12" uConnect problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

switters

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2022 Ram 1500 Rebel. Had all kinds of problems with uConnect just after I bought it. Finally seemed to resolve after the 3rd trip to the dealer and a software update.

Until yesterday.

We were on a 10-hour road trip. Both the 12" uConnect screen and the instrument cluster screen kept going completely blank. Sometimes, pressing the radio power button for 10 seconds would turn the screens on again. Other times, it wouldn't.

At some point, it started raining. When I turned the wipers on, the screen would go blank. When I turned them off, it would turn off again. I've never noticed this before.

When we arrived at our destination last night, I turned the truck off and let it sit for a while. Then went out to the grocery store. This time, the screens were on, but they were at about 30% brightness.

Any ideas on how I can try to fix this? Taking it to the dealer has mostly been a waste of time in the past. Is there some kind of factory or hard reset I can do? I don't care about erasing settings/preferences.

OP
OP
S

switters

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I just called the dealer here in Bend, OR. Useless. They didn't offer any help and said their next service appointment is nearly a month away on 6/2. What a joke!

logboom

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Etorque
I just bought my 2023 Laramie 1500 Etourque in late April and haven't had a chance to get her out and stretch her legs. Planning a cross state trip next month and get some miles on her to be able to hopefully report " no issues here" with the Uconnect. I do plan on letting the trial offer on Ram Connect expire next month. $279.00 per year seems high for mapping, phone connections etc .

Fake-Account27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Does Chrysler Customer Care read these forums. My 2018 Pacifica was having massive issues with Uconnect. After a post on the pacifica forums site customer care managed to get me a free appointment to reflash the Uconnect. My Uconnect would get stuck in the Chrysler loading screen.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just bought my 2023 Laramie 1500 Etourque in late April and haven't had a chance to get her out and stretch her legs. Planning a cross state trip next month and get some miles on her to be able to hopefully report " no issues here" with the Uconnect. I do plan on letting the trial offer on Ram Connect expire next month. $279.00 per year seems high for mapping, phone connections etc .
Run everything through your phone: Whether Apple or AA. 100% better, "cheaper", and maps way more updated. You could download WAZE also to run maps if you like that APP.

I am fortunate, 2019 DT with 8.4 Radio: No NAV, 911 junk or whateva. Not even OTA's. Plain Jane, run everything through I Phone.

Last edited:

IGotABigHorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi ETorque
My buddy has a bighorn with the 12 inch radio and all its been is one giant headache. Even the dealer recommended me not to do the upgrade. They told me to go the 8.4 inch route, so far so good. Only time will tell though. There are hundreds of thousands of these things out there we are bound to see some issues.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Does Chrysler Customer Care read these forums. My 2018 Pacifica was having massive issues with Uconnect. After a post on the pacifica forums site customer care managed to get me a free appointment to reflash the Uconnect. My Uconnect would get stuck in the Chrysler loading screen.
We got them to replace the uConnect 5 system in the wife's 21 Pacifica. It was a fight, but it fixed the issues. The 12" uConnect 5 in my 22 Ram 2500 has been great so far (knock on wood!).

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
Uconnect has been a known issue since they started using them, I think it was about 2005, or so.

I knew going in to purchase my new truck in 19' my Uconnect was going to be trouble, it was on my 300SRT8 back years ago, and for so many, too.

I dealt with it for a while with multiple trips to the dealership, then I had enough and replaced it with a nice Kenwood double-din and no more issues.

As turkeybird56 said, use your phone and utilize Waze and/or Google Maps via the Android or Apple interface. It's free, more accurate, and less headaches.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
What software version are you on as these things have been known to be very unreliable when it comes to picking up OTA updates. There are a few threads floating around out there with the links to S26.17 to pull down and USB update which has been known to resolve a number of issues. I came from the even worse R1-Low on my '22 (8.4 Non Nav) that was a steaming pile and waited months to get my hands on all the parts to do swap it to the 12". On the firmware that shipped on my radio module it was just as horrible, but after updating it and doing a factory reset it's been so much better than the 8.4 that it replaced.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Just for clarification, are you saying that for you to have access to the Uconnect Nav and smartphone interface, the subscription cost is $279/month? :oops:

As already mentioned, the Uconnect Nav sucks unless you're interested in taking the scenic route and burning more gas. Hopefully, using Android Auto or Apple CarPlay is still free.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Not for nothing but wipers have nothing to do with Uconnect. I think you have some other electrical issues going on like bad battery or wiring/fuses connections.
There are some wiper functions in uConnect, like the auto-wiper function.

logboom

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Etorque
Just for clarification, are you saying that for you to have access to the Uconnect Nav and smartphone interface, the subscription cost is $279/month? :oops:

As already mentioned, the Uconnect Nav sucks unless you're interested in taking the scenic route and burning more gas. Hopefully, using Android Auto or Apple CarPlay is still free.

logboom

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Etorque
Sorry, I meant $279 and change per year.
My free trial ends on 7/27.
I do use Android for navigation and some other free stuff ( Spotify, Tidl).

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry, I meant $279 and change per year.
My free trial ends on 7/27.
I do use Android for navigation and some other free stuff ( Spotify, Tidl).

My apology, it looks like I misread your post and I see now that you indicated $279 was the yearly rate.

I do plan on letting the trial offer on Ram Connect expire next month.

$279.00 per year seems high for mapping, phone connections etc .

I'm still curious to understand what exactly you meant by "phone connections".

The BlueTooth or hardline connection between my phone and '21 Warlock is completely free.
Is FCA now charging a subscription fee for the BlueTooth or wired interface to a phone on '23 model trucks?

logboom

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Etorque
Not that I'm aware of. But....I wouldn't be surprised if manufacturers impose fees/subscriptions on just about anything associated with "infotainment ".

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
have not had any nav problems with the 2 ram laramies I have owned. works great for me. I like the large screen and dont want to be fooling with my phone while I am driving.

wlbjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 etorque

No, that’s the yearly rate for everything. All I want is the remote start and info- that’s about half- somewhere around $150 annual.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Just so I'm clear, you own a '21 Ram and the remote start function is a subscription service?

The subscription is for the phone App functions that include: locate veh, start/stop/lock/unlock/send destinations from phone to truck, among other things. All remotely anywhere you have a signal. You can check out the app by going to the Google Playstore and search RAM APP.
The remote start function with your regular FOB is free. No charge.