My 5.7 is trashed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Just buy one of MMX , Remans are garbage
I bought a reman 5.7 Hemi from Powertrain Products in Baltimore, a little over $4k with the install kit. They provide a 4-year/1M mile gtee, better than any other source I found, and they’ve improved on some of the OEM engine failings, valve seats, oiling, etc. I have 6k miles on it since May and very happy with it, except the ave mpg is down about 4mpg. It does take awhile to wear in, but once I had about 4k miles on it the juice is as good as ever.

1979PowerWagon360

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 TRX
Engine
Possibly a myth, but I've read from many different sources 2011 5.7 engines seem to be the most problematic.

evanslarry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Pardon my ignorance, but what does the intake manifold have to do with a failed lifter/cam? There's no oil passing through it, only air/fuel mixture, correct?
Or is it a physical thing where it can only used once and won't mate up correctly a second time since these things are not metal anymore?
When you have an engine failure that includes busted metal parts, especially in the head/valvetrain, you will get metal fragments in the intake. If you put this intake on a new engine, these metal particles will be introduced. New intake, $300 = peace of mind

Starr1936

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
just my opinion but that looks like way more than 3 weeks worth of damage…..unless you drove it nonstop for three weeks.

Also, this is a known defect and not uncommon. Mine was a $3,600 complete rebuild by an engine shop in Tampa Fl

evanslarry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

y4mcsSok_5deZXxyKyp8kayx-vM7_BL2tGCim3GvlSApyoEYLfGHOJUEbcL2BOQSbleQ8PyjgoMkr1AWb6xUEGSAFJcpV1...jpgIMG_2214.jpgIMG_2216.jpgIMG_2215.JPGIMG_2212.jpg

I had lifter fail on my '09 Ram 1500 at 140,000; gouged the cam, etc. Buddy is a mechanic, so was able to fix for around $2k. It is definitely a known problem, and for Fiat NOT to allow some $ for customers to offset repair costs, don't know I'll be sticking with Ram..... BTW, after fixing this known problem, 20k miles later valve seat let go(another known problem with the 5.7 hemi) and caused piston to shatter. New engine time.​

Last edited:

PoconoJoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When you have an engine failure that includes busted metal parts, especially in the head/valvetrain, you will get metal fragments in the intake. If you put this intake on a new engine, these metal particles will be introduced. New intake, $300 = peace of mind
Ok, if you say so, but I still don't get it.
Unless things are different these days, there's no oil running through the intake manifold. So, how would oil contaminated with shards of metal get into the intake manifold?
The only thing running through there is the fuel/air mixture, right?
Maybe I'm ignorant or just old and outdated?

PoconoJoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I had lifter fail on my '09 Ram 1500 at 140,000; gouged the cam, etc. Buddy is a mechanic, so was able to fix for around $2k. It is definitely a known problem, and for Fiat NOT to allow some $ for customers to offset repair costs, don't know I'll be sticking with Ram..... BTW, after fixing this known problem, 20k miles later valve seat let go(another known problem with the 5.7 hemi) and caused piston to shatter. New engine time.​

Yeah, these failures are definitely putting a hit on their reputation.
This Ram is my daughter's truck. It really is a nice truck inside and out, but guaranteed... her next truck will not have this 5.7 hemi. I can probably guess she will be switching brands next time too.

evanslarry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok, if you say so, but I still don't get it.
Unless things are different these days, there's no oil running through the intake manifold. So, how would oil contaminated with shards of metal get into the intake manifold?
The only thing running through there is the fuel/air mixture, right?
Maybe I'm ignorant or just old and outdatead?
Say the intake valve fails and is open to manifold; any metal fragments in cylinder is now going to be pushed upwards into intake manifold ( see my pictures in this thread; my intake was loaded with metal fragments)

Tunaman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Say the intake valve fails and is open to manifold; any metal fragments in cylinder is now going to be pushed upwards into intake manifold ( see my pictures in this thread; my intake was loaded with metal fragments)
Most reputable shops switching the engine would clean the intake...

PoconoJoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Man, those pictures are scary! That's some serious failure!

I believe you, but my thick head still doesn't get it.

If an intake valve stays open, it's only open to the top area of the cylinder above the piston. There is no oil there (compression chamber). Unless your rings are totally shot, how can oil get into the compression chamber? it's just compressed fuel/air mixture. No?

evanslarry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Man, those pictures are scary! That's some serious failure!

I believe you, but my thick head still doesn't get it.

If an intake valve stays open, it's only open to the top area of the cylinder above the piston. There is no oil there (compression chamber). Unless your rings are totally shot, how can oil get into the compression chamber? it's just compressed fuel/air mixture. No?
My valve seat failed, got chewed up between piston and head/valves, eventually breaking intake valve off, leaving open hole to intake; piston pushing all this mess up into intake before piston finally exploded. Oil was not in intake

PoconoJoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My valve seat failed, got chewed up between piston and head/valves, eventually breaking intake valve off, leaving open hole to intake; piston pushing all this mess up into intake before piston finally exploded. Oil was not in intake
Ah, different story! I mistook what you were saying. I thought you were saying oil contaminated with metal particles got into your intake manifold when actually chunks of piston and valves etc. were forced in there. Dang! That's catastrophic!

evanslarry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ah, different story! I mistook what you were saying. I thought you were saying oil contaminated with metal particles got into your intake manifold when actually chunks of piston and valves etc. were forced in there. Dang! That's catastrophic!
Correct! Yea it was catastrophic, especially since I was 600 miles from home. I would hope Ram has corrected these inherant problems before I would even consider Ram again (especially at the prices they want for them now)

PoconoJoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
DDamn!
Correct! Yea it was catastrophic, especially since I was 600 miles from home. I would hope Ram has corrected these inherant problems before I would even consider Ram again (especially at the prices they want for them now)
Damn! I feel for you. That thing was a seriously blown up bag of junk.
Yeah, I'm not too keen on Ram either now. And yes, the prices are rediculous now, but all of the makes are rediculous. It used to be that Ram was priced lower than the other two big ones. Not so much anymore.
You're kind of forced to fix what you have or go into serious debt.

atom13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Na
Engine
Na
I owned a 16 pentastar a few years ago. Great engine and trans combo. I only bought my current 12 hemi bc it was cheap and needed a rebuild. I rebuilt the engine and currently have equity in it. I feel bad for those who cannot do their own repairs and or bought it without warranty at market value so many better choices out there for $18k+.... The 6 speed is terrible compared to the 8 speed.

Tunaman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
One solution I know of is switch from RAM to Ford like I did in 2020. After 4 RAM 1500, 3 5.7 and 1 Pinstar, with zero problems, I needed 3/4 ton. I liked the technology Ford put in the new (at that time) 7.3 Godzilla. Big bore long stroke tons of torque for a gas engine. In fact at that time the most torque of any gasoline engine in a 3/4 ton truck. Bolted to the 10 speed tranny it's a good mix for me, best pulling gasoline engine I have ever owned, and at 73 I have owned a few!!!.....so far! Holding my breath on recalls! Son in law had tranny problems with his 10 speed, bottom line between backorders on parts, dealer screwups and flat out lies he was without his truck for 3 months!! I have a re-call on a wiper arm, been backordered 18 months!!
I've been fortunate on my tranny, 27,000 miles no real problems, no recall. Their tranny recalls are on trannys only from one particular factory. Most people are waiting a month or more for backordered parts with no truck!! When/if I no longer need the 3/4 ton it will be back to RAM for me.
As far as new intake on a rebuild in my day they thoroughly washed/cleaned the old parts before re-installing. On anything re-manufactured are there not small metal fillings that have to be cleaned/washed?? But there again I guess IF you need a re-build the $300 for an intake isn't much.