New Factory Replacement Engine from dodge!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bryanj1025

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Hello all I have a 2014 ram 1500 5.7 with 41,000 miles. I’m going to make this a short story and I would like to see if I’m the only one going through this. Back in 2017 I bought my ram and a month into owning it with 25,000 miless it started making a knock noise on start up until it got warm, dealer said cam and lifters and sent it for warranty cool great, picked it up 3 weeks later same noise and issues, dealer said it was normal after they did $8000 in warranty repairs lost that battle said they were not going to do anything with it anymore cool great!, 2 years go by and the staff is no longer the same so I bring it back due to gold chunks of metal in the oil, they said cam bearings wiped and should have been looked at when it got repaired the first time ok cool, now they give me a brand new engine (not remanufactured) they only had new stock left since being high in demand, they installed it and I have 2300 on the new motor and I broke it in with regular conventional for 800 then switched to synthetic, since day one the engine starts sounding like marbles and the lifters bleed down when the engine is warm and has been driving, called the dealer they said they will no longer service my vehicle I guess because I’m wrong for being a pain in the a$$ whatever I’m not wrong trust me my new engine sounds worse then the original, long story short I find another dealer and they said yea lifters are bad on passenger side and we are going to replace them it’s bad something is wrong in there ok cool great!, dealer called and said we are going to tear it apart Monday ok great! Monday comes around and dealer calls and said Chrysler engineering called us and said pull the plug on the warranty work it’s operating as designed and return truck back to customer. And just like that I lost the battle because Chrysler claimed if the bleed down does not last more than 6 seconds it’s normal, mind you I own a 2012, 2014, and a 2013 and never I’m my life heard these noises. WHAT DO I DO!! So frustrated

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Sorry to hear it, most of us are in same boat but FCA didn't even do squat in the first place. Read the links in my sig, that's all I got, and thanks to ram forum we know it is a legit answer for this. Not a perfect one, but the best we got. Warm states run 5w30 redline, cold states run 0w30 redline, and use a spun microglass filter. This formula has a bunch of things that guard against bleed down, high moly, esters, and pao base oils amoungst other EP additives. Look at the poll results.

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
Hello all I have a 2014 ram 1500 5.7 with 41,000 miles. I’m going to make this a short story and I would like to see if I’m the only one going through this. Back in 2017 I bought my ram and a month into owning it with 25,000 miless it started making a knock noise on start up until it got warm, dealer said cam and lifters and sent it for warranty cool great, picked it up 3 weeks later same noise and issues, dealer said it was normal after they did $8000 in warranty repairs lost that battle said they were not going to do anything with it anymore cool great!, 2 years go by and the staff is no longer the same so I bring it back due to gold chunks of metal in the oil, they said cam bearings wiped and should have been looked at when it got repaired the first time ok cool, now they give me a brand new engine (not remanufactured) they only had new stock left since being high in demand, they installed it and I have 2300 on the new motor and I broke it in with regular conventional for 800 then switched to synthetic, since day one the engine starts sounding like marbles and the lifters bleed down when the engine is warm and has been driving, called the dealer they said they will no longer service my vehicle I guess because I’m wrong for being a pain in the a$$ whatever I’m not wrong trust me my new engine sounds worse then the original, long story short I find another dealer and they said yea lifters are bad on passenger side and we are going to replace them it’s bad something is wrong in there ok cool great!, dealer called and said we are going to tear it apart Monday ok great! Monday comes around and dealer calls and said Chrysler engineering called us and said pull the plug on the warranty work it’s operating as designed and return truck back to customer. And just like that I lost the battle because Chrysler claimed if the bleed down does not last more than 6 seconds it’s normal, mind you I own a 2012, 2014, and a 2013 and never I’m my life heard these noises. WHAT DO I DO!! So frustrated

Unfortunately FCA has flagged your VIN and I'm speculating that the recommendation came from the first dealership.

Either way if you don't want to invest any money into the truck "I wouldn't" sell it. I'm actually curious what your VIN would reveal when a dealer runs it.

If you want to keep the truck perhaps you could negotiate a mds delete on the engine and upgrade the lifters.

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
Sounds like they tried to help you sorry man

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A video or recording of what the engine sounds like would be great! Hemi engines are not quiet engines hard to determine if yours is normal without hearing it.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I have to say about a 1 or less on the hemi tick scale, sounds pretty good and I listen to all of them. You can get a used oil analysis to see if there is anything a miss with engine wear.

Anonymous007

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Following*

Best of luck man, real ****** situation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds normal to me 1000% better then mine lol as mentioned above on a scale of 1-10 your a 1 when it comes to lifter noise use good oil and only worry about it if your truck starts running rough.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wow that sounds amazing ... I only hear noisy injectors and that really is normal.

This is my hemi tick for comparison (has broken manifold bolts for sure, haven't looked at lifters/cam yet)

bet Yours wouldn't sound to bad either if you fixed the manifolds pre large leak goin there lol.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi, Go and purchase a Mechanics Stethoscope and put it on your injectors, most of your noise to me sounds like injector tick (injectors firing) and how are your exhaust manifold bolts, is it noisy on start up and the noise goes away when the manifolds expand, you can use that stethoscope to check that don't get burned, and again follow Burla's Oil thread and get some good oil in there with Moly and a good oil filter that has a silicone anti drain back valve and spun micro glass filter element. and welcome to the Forum young sir, where in NY do you live?

OP
OP
bryanj1025

bryanj1025

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
No exhaust leaks at all and unfortunately videos don’t do justice I had 3 different dealers agree somethings wrong. If I pass by a wall it sounds like a exhaust fludder but it’s actually a lifted smacking around

OP
OP
bryanj1025

bryanj1025

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Also I am a full time mechanic at a engine replacement shop and we rebuild Hemi’s weekly because of the cam and lifter issues and I have yet to hear my noises comparing to other new engines

fijicorey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have to say about a 1 or less on the hemi tick scale, sounds pretty good and I listen to all of them. You can get a used oil analysis to see if there is anything a miss with engine wear.

Yes, a UOA can give you a good look of what's going on inside. However, consider that it's a fairly new engine that may affect the levels of wear metals in the oil. If you mention that on your notes when submitting your oil sample, they can compare it to other Hemis that are new to see if anything is wrong.

OP
OP
bryanj1025

bryanj1025

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Also I have not been able to get the video of the bleed down after engine is warm it’s hard to catch when next time it will happen

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also do yourself a favor and tune out MDS forever like the rest of us lol

OP
OP
bryanj1025

bryanj1025

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Trust me I would love to do that I was planning that all along but I value the warranty until it runs out, they just put this motor in 6 months ago