New pads at 31k??? Really?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

michaelm_ski

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 liter
I usually brake farther back lightly and I get more life out of my brakes , Everything depends on how you drive your truck and your habits but 30.000 miles seems really low and I do less stop and go when I can .

OP
OP
joelmic

joelmic

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 Express Quad Cab 3.6L 4x4 20x9 Wheels
Engine
If it is a "stealership", then don't go there... find a dealership to do the repairs as necessary.

As for the brake fluid level, is it up to the "full" line?

yet to be determined... next time I go out I need to bring my reading glasses or a magnifier glass to even see the dam line... if it exists

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
There's a notable problem with the rear brakes on the 4th Gens. Mine were worn out by the early 30ks, same as all my friends and family that have/had 4th gens. I use the brakes very sparingly - anticipating slow/stops, engine braking and I live in a rural area with little traffic. I believe part of the problem (if not most/all of it) is the emergency brake system - it doesn't release very well. I can't tell you the number of time that I released the pedal and it still had the light on, and took several tries to get it to go off. And my guess is that even when the sensor said it was released, it wasn't always fully.

The 5th gen has an electronic one that hopefully solves that problem.

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
There's a notable problem with the rear brakes on the 4th Gens. Mine were worn out by the early 30ks, same as all my friends and family that have/had 4th gens. I use the brakes very sparingly - anticipating slow/stops, engine braking and I live in a rural area with little traffic. I believe part of the problem (if not most/all of it) is the emergency brake system - it doesn't release very well. I can't tell you the number of time that I released the pedal and it still had the light on, and took several tries to get it to go off. And my guess is that even when the sensor said it was released, it wasn't always fully.

Are you sure that's a problem with all of them or maybe it's just something your truck is doing? I've never seen my 2018 brake light stay on after I release the emergency brake.

Oops, I guess it is a problem just found a thread here on it.

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/parking-brake-light-won’t-turn-off.117981/

Last edited:

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi

Murphy Slaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bighorn 4X4 Crew
Engine
I put brakes on the wife's Patriot at 100,000 miles.

31,000 seems a bit soon.

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
Yeah, I'm sure it's not all - just a not-uncommon problem.

Seems like it happens more in snowy climates, but good to know about it in case it begins happening. I try to not let the truck sit more than a couple days without driving, and live near the beach in So Cal.

Firetruck41

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 Mega Cab Hemi 5.7

Emergency brakes (4th gen, and most vehicles) have nothing to do with the service brakes, except the emergency/parking brake uses the inside of the rotor hat, as it's drum. There is virtually no way use, non-use, or poor maintenance of the e-brake will cause the service brakes to fail. If the ebrake doesn't release, it could cause the e-brake drum pad to wear out, or gouge the rotor "hat", but that still wouldn't affect service brakes.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Are you saying that your rear brakes wore out because of the emergency/parking brakes? or that the parking brakes are wore out in 30K miles?
I think it would be a little difficult for the rear disk brakes to wear out because the drum parking brakes that ride inside the rotor.. I'm guessing if you had the brakes done that they threw a set of rear pads since everything was tore apart to replace the parking brake.
I'm well over the 30K mile mark and occasionally tow heavy and no where near needing new brakes.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Emergency brakes (4th gen, and most vehicles) have nothing to do with the service brakes, except the emergency/parking brake uses the inside of the rotor hat, as it's drum.

Well clearly I've never worked on my RAM brakes before. I was making an assumption based my afore-mentioned observation and previous experience with other vehicles that DO use the same friction surface for service and parking brakes (notably, the original VW Beetle).

I guess you can ignore everything I said except that everyone I know who owns/has owned a 4th Gen RAM had the rear brakes need new pads in the 30-40k mile range, and my shop confirmed similar experience.

Firetruck41

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 Mega Cab Hemi 5.7
Well clearly I've never worked on my RAM brakes before. I was making an assumption based my afore-mentioned observation and previous experience with other vehicles that DO use the same friction surface for service and parking brakes (notably, the original VW Beetle).

I guess you can ignore everything I said except that everyone I know who owns/has owned a 4th Gen RAM had the rear brakes need new pads in the 30-40k mile range, and my shop confirmed similar experience.
German cars tend to be different, my BMWs actually used the service brakes as there parking brakes, IIRC. Most other vehicles I've messed with, are the more antiquated system, same as on the Ram.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

My 2009 vw Jetta was terrible doing breaks. Had to buy a brake tool to spin the piston while pressing because the e brake was part of the caliper. I burned through the rear brakes fast because the rear disk was hugely undersized. Ended up installing a big brake kit in the rear that made the disk almost as big as the front brake disc. Never had a problem after that

Hemi_Don

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 Magnum
After working on cars and trucks for 60 yrs, I found that brake wear was usually up to the driver. A "brake rider " can destroy brakes fast. Other times rust can bind up calipers. Had a BIG state cop back in the '60's that could burn up his huge brake shoes in weeks. he finally admitted he would "test" his brakes by running that big Dodge up to 100mph, lay on the brake pedal to stop. Do it three times, warp the drums and burn up the shoes. What a ********. Nice guy tho'!!

KnurledNut

SemperFi
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I changed my pads @ 51k, not because I was having issues. 50k to me, is enough life for any pad.

40% left on OEM pad, no rotor issues. Installed some Bosch ceramics.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My old truck did the first pump to the floor second pump much better thing. Turned out to be a frozen front caliper.... The piston was not returning so the first pump kinda refilled the brake lines and the second pump actually compressed the fluid and made the brakes work.

Pads at 30k is entirely possible.... Like someone else here said, 30k highway miles is way different than 30k city miles. So mileage doesn't really tell the whole story (even thought it might in your case)

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

roadrnnr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, got my truck in October 31 '19.... stealership...
27k on it then, 31k now.
Brake pedal on first push goes down maybe half way, but I pump once it goes to 1/4...
I haven't taken this in for it's 30k checkup but it dont really need anything major...
Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

You have a caliper that is frozen up.

That is also why your pad is shot.

Just went through the same thing. One of my rear calipers was frozen and not retracting all the way. Outer pad was shot.

I also had a slide on one of the front calipers that was frozen on the bracket.

I replaced both rear calipers and now my pedal is rock hard on the very first push.

OP
OP
joelmic

joelmic

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 Express Quad Cab 3.6L 4x4 20x9 Wheels
Engine
I'll get them checked asap. THNX

Jordo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’ve got 80,000km from the fronts and 85,000km + out of the rears. Light towing. Change your brake fluid. Previous owner was probably a brake rider and overheated the fluid. I had a soft pedal at 70,000 km, fluid change fixed 90% of the problem.

Samxboy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I changed mine out at 50k, not because they needed changing but rather got fed up with the performance of the OE brakes. Swapped to ceramic up front and organic in the rear. Night and day difference and finally feel confidence in the brakes. I think the originals could have gone 70k easily..

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Well, I have not yet actually visually checked my pad life, I was just wondering why I was pumping for that second better brake.
So, if it's NOT due to wear, then my lines might have some flex in them or something...

TIME to check is what I need right now... THNX for the replies so far.
Yes, or as mentioned, you may have air in the lines and they just need to be bleed out. Or you could have a master cylinder issue (less likely at your age/mileage)