New Rams 0W-20 now !

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
0w20 and 5w20 are almost identical, but yeah they are both thin. The bad news is coming though, it is a matter of time before they will put in 0w16 and that is 2 full points thinner. See the bottom two lines 0w20 and 5w20 white and yellow, they will likely operate the same at temp.

Depending on the formula, in many cases 0w20 can even be a better quality oil. if they use pao to achieve cold flow instead of vii's.

View attachment 508596
Burla, do you have the source for Figure 8 graph? Were the comparisons based on one specific brand of oil, or representative of industry averages?

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 81758 miles

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Burla, do you have the source for Figure 8 graph? Were the comparisons based on one specific brand of oil, or representative of industry averages?

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 81758 miles
plug and play graphing software, not a specific brand. But, you can chose any specific brand it will end up similar with twenty weight, because 5w20 is the most stable oil used in passenger vehicles, not many vii's in that product, and it will not take many vii's to get the 0w20 rating. Take PUP for example, you can look up the specs, almost a mirror of each other 0w20/5w20. The graphing takes the range of api oils and compare only operating temp visc and 40c temp and then takes the graph out to all temp ranges, I imagine you can find something out there that doesnt use a range but the exact value of viscosity at 100/40c and then graphs that into all temp ranges. In fact I know you can because I have seen it, I didnt see it graphed but I seen the values and how thick it would be when cold, something like Excel. Honestly it is just the minutia, whatever you pick the shock value will be the same and close to what you see in those graphs. Even the best base oil for cold flow pao will also be super thick in those cold graphs.

Too bad they don't test viscosity ranges of used oils, then we all would learn something of value.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Yup - v*i*r*g*i*n oil graphs don't take into account HTHS and NOACK effects during the life of the oil.

They're a starting point for understanding the quality of the lubricant - further understanding is necessary to evaluate.

If memory serves, the best base oil for cold weather pumpability is pure PAO. But none of us lives where it is -30 degrees 365 days a year, so evaluation is not a simple matter. Hope and pray is fine, too - but is not the mission of this Forum, for the dudes that parachute in and say they've used Mother's Mouse Milk for centuries and every engine they ever owned ran ragged for billions of miles..

These types don't even bother to read the unique aspects and failure points of Ram engines. They're just trolls.

Update: Mods - can you purge the text censor for some of the common technical terms used, please?

2022BigHorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mine has the same 0W-20 oil changed at 5K miles and has almost no tick, do the rollers make a sound once from a rolling (like 2-4mph) then re-engage when i step on the gas?

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
0w20 and 5w20 are almost identical, but yeah they are both thin. The bad news is coming though, it is a matter of time before they will put in 0w16 and that is 2 full points thinner. See the bottom two lines 0w20 and 5w20 white and yellow, they will likely operate the same at temp.

Depending on the formula, in many cases 0w20 can even be a better quality oil. if they use pao to achieve cold flow instead of vii's.

View attachment 508596
Beat me to it about the VII’s and base stock

Nice chart Mike

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
EPA is after the 12 Sigma diminishing returns of fuel economy because - they've run out of mission - translation: reason for being in existence.

When you fight to retain your useless job, you end up doing irrational things like insisting on 0W oils that save almost no fuel but cause higher engine wear and VII shear down deposits.

The only reason I use a 0W at all is due to the stiffness of the polyol ester base stock blend in Red Line during our arctic winter. None of my other machines gets 0W, including the new Mazda 4 cylinder turbo GDI. Still being built entirely in Japan, they have not gone on the 0W-16 bandwagon that Toyota has, et. al. They want 5W-30, period.

We have noticed this engine consumes a quart of oil every 2,500 miles. None of our other engines do. Notably, the other engines are naturally aspirate (non-turbo). We're thinking the higher cylinder wall loads at low speed high turbo application (acceleration) are the likely cause. Part of the price working a small engine hard instead of a big engine easy.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
EPA is after the 12 Sigma diminishing returns of fuel economy because - they've run out of mission - translation: reason for being in existence.

When you fight to retain your useless job, you end up doing irrational things like insisting on 0W oils that save almost no fuel but cause higher engine wear and VII shear down deposits.

The only reason I use a 0W at all is due to the stiffness of the polyol ester base stock blend in Red Line during our arctic winter. None of my other machines gets 0W, including the new Mazda 4 cylinder turbo GDI. Still being built entirely in Japan, they have not gone on the 0W-16 bandwagon that Toyota has, et. al. They want 5W-30, period.

We have noticed this engine consumes a quart of oil every 2,500 miles. None of our other engines do. Notably, the other engines are naturally aspirate (non-turbo). We're thinking the higher cylinder wall loads at low speed high turbo application (acceleration) are the likely cause. Part of the price working a small engine hard instead of a big engine easy.
The turbo motor probably has bigger ring gaps to compensate for the heat expansion the pistons encounter during high boost loads

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
The turbo motor probably has bigger ring gaps to compensate for the heat expansion the pistons encounter during high boost loads

We live in exurbs, mix of highway and city driving. This type of driving has more acceleration to highway speed from 4 way intersections and roundabouts than mostly city or highway driving.

It makes sense, but I wasn't thinking about it and was surprised by low oil on a new engine. This is our 1st w*h*i*z motor since 1990, and 1st turbo.

It's a brave new world. At least it's not an expensive EV that lasts 50 miles in -20F.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
We live in exurbs, mix of highway and city driving. This type of driving has more acceleration to highway speed from 4 way intersections and roundabouts than mostly city or highway driving.

It makes sense, but I wasn't thinking about it and was surprised by low oil on a new engine. This is our 1st w*h*i*z motor since 1990, and 1st turbo.

It's a brave new world. At least it's not an expensive EV that lasts 50 miles in -20F.
This article by a guy in Montreal about using his Mustang EV,says alot about EV's .The no cabin heat or heat to the windshield in cold weather,kind of makes the Mustang EV useless in colder climates.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
The solution is for all of us in the northern 1/3 of the globe to move south.

There, done. Simple!

RamBayou

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I recently sat in a meeting with Mobil oil reps and they said that in the next few years, many vehicles will start using 00-w4. Yes you read that right. I wish I had taken a picture of the slide. All because of EPA standards. It’s not because of tighter tolerances.

2022BigHorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I hit the gas and hear this sound, sounds like a quack and is this normal? Is this the MDS solenoid activating?
YouTube video on the sound, I just want to know if this is normal.

Last edited: