OEM Shock and Steering Stabilizer Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oh lol, I didn't even catch that it was on the PW. Sorry about that. That's what I get for just viewing new posts vs. specific model posts.
So used to Bilsteins on the 1500's, that I didn't look closely.

OP
OP
rgrbobbyedwards

rgrbobbyedwards

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Power Wagon
Engine
6 really

Do the steering stabilizer while you are at it. You will notice the difference.
Thuren Fabrication King Steering Damper 13+ OEM Fit is what I have in the cart along with 5 5100's... is the "5th" shock that's behind the spare tire, the same size as the 4 in the traditional locations?

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Thuren Fabrication King Steering Damper 13+ OEM Fit is what I have in the cart along with 5 5100's... is the "5th" shock that's behind the spare tire, the same size as the 4 in the traditional locations?

I have no idea - you should look for a cross reference chart before ordering.

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
the front and rear shocks aren't the same part number.

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
No they aren’t. They are 4600s. I don’t know what the fox pumpkin shock is. You need to take it off and get the measurements. And ask them. I’m just leaving my 4600 on there.
The 4600's also have a lifetime warranty. I would certainly try contacting Bilstein before spening $$.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
all the rest of the shocks are the same. can't imagine the pumpkin shock isn't.
While it might be the same color and type, it most likely is a completely different length…and it mounts with eyelets at each end. The other shocks have a post on the top end.

OP
OP
rgrbobbyedwards

rgrbobbyedwards

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Power Wagon
Engine
While it might be the same color and type, it most likely is a completely different length…and it mounts with eyelets at each end. The other shocks have a post on the top end.
My thoughts exactly. I'm hoping by tomorrow morning I've found a place where I can order everything together and in stock... still trying to make up my mind which shock to go with...

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My thoughts exactly. I'm hoping by tomorrow morning I've found a place where I can order everything together and in stock... still trying to make up my mind which shock to go with...
Availability might be what is your final decision maker…i know there has been definite backorders on shocks in the recent past.

OP
OP
rgrbobbyedwards

rgrbobbyedwards

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Power Wagon
Engine
Availability might be what is your final decision maker…i know there has been definite backorders on shocks in the recent past.
Very true. Hopefully someone has the 2.0's or the 5100's in stock. My two local "off-road" performance shops didn't really provide enough information to help me decide between the two. Also, didn't have any knowledge of the power hop "pumpkin" shock. My OCD, wants to match them all and replace them all at the same time.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
one thing I found is Fox said they did not have an exact replacement set for the Power wagon, they told they have a set that everyone uses but it is not same lengths front and rear (front and rears are different lengths) and Bilstein does not show 5100's for the power wagon stock. they do show the 5th shock tho. For most useages it probably is not that important but might be if going to do some harder core offroading where the suspension is maxed out both ways.

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I meant the same as the 4th Gen shocks. I should have specified that.

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Very true. Hopefully someone has the 2.0's or the 5100's in stock. My two local "off-road" performance shops didn't really provide enough information to help me decide between the two. Also, didn't have any knowledge of the power hop "pumpkin" shock. My OCD, wants to match them all and replace them all at the same time.
I have that same problem but you forget the pumpkin shock is even there. I wouldn’t bother.

OP
OP
rgrbobbyedwards

rgrbobbyedwards

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Power Wagon
Engine
Just shot an email out to Thuren about the situation and looking for his insight. Looking at his Fox 2.0 IFP front kit with coils and track bar. Is there any concern with taking care of the front end for now and leaving the rear alone? Our annual family camping trip starts not this weekend but next and there is usually 500-800lbs or more in the bed. I also tow around a 21' bass boat and do some heavy towing every so often but not everyday. My biggest concern is going away from OEM for better ride quality but then sacrificing in towing the bass boat, going camping with a bed full of everything needed for a week or heavy loads if needed.

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just shot an email out to Thuren about the situation and looking for his insight. Looking at his Fox 2.0 IFP front kit with coils and track bar.

You pretty much have the front end covered for ride quality and performance. I would ask them about their sway bar ends and see if it really makes a difference. I have the active swaybar on my truck but the PW is completely different. If you do any rear work you might compromise your payload and might need to add air bags with daystar cradles. Thuren knows our trucks and they are awesome to talk to. They will get you all set up