Oil Filter question for my ‘16 5.7 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tfeni52355

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi, 4x4, Air Suspension
I have been running Redline 5W-30 and a RP 10-48 filter in my ‘16 5.7. I recently read some discussions about oils and noticed some folks are running a RP 20-820 oil filter on theirs.

I snapped a couple of pics to show the huge difference in filter size and I assume filter surface area.

I don’t mind running a non-standard oil filter to gain the advantage of more filtration but I am not sure if I am opening myself up to other issues. Will there be clearance issues in the already tight area the filter is located?

TIA for any advice!1c27310fc2d5a510d816aa49f17f408f.jpg

123deb8c1a5ba3b721e3a9ee7b65e665.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The forum experts say it fits...with or without electronic steering models. I stick with the RP10-48 because I cant imagine working anything bigger in there...I have had a few “frustration posts” on here, usually after I do the change....My OCI w/RL5w-30 is usually 4k, never sees 5k, so by my math im good. Probably overly so, but Id like to hang on to this thing for a decade too.

naumaa1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The larger one is from the non electric power steering days. Both fit, I personally run the larger one and i think it takes an extra half quart of oil

Mr Rich

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I did my first oil change this past weekend and used a K&N HP-2011 filter which is slightly longer than stock. I will take note of this filter also.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The larger one is from the non electric power steering days. Both fit, I personally run the larger one and i think it takes an extra half quart of oil

So you need 7-1/2 quarts using that filter?

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I ran just over 7 qts with the 20-820 as my truck seemed to take just shy of 7 qts with the standard filter. It fit. It was a little more of a knuckle buster with the bigger filter but doable. I have a 2017

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I *** the smaller size. My oci is every 6moths or6000 miles. The smaller size will work just fine.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm changing my oil today and using the 10-48

18ram18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I consider people that visit forum sites like ours "car guys". IMHO "car guys" tend to service their vehicles more often than required. I will stick to the smaller filter and perform synthetic oil changes and tire rotation at 6K.

OP
OP
tfeni52355

tfeni52355

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Longhorn
Engine
I noticed that OCI’s in this thread are well under 10K miles which is what I usually run. I drive almost 20K miles a year at 70% highway. If I drop the OCI to 5K miles I’ll be changing the oil every 90 days.

At $100ish per oil change and the time I’m not really fired up about that. I’m 64 and in good shape but laying on the concrete doesn’t feel as good as it used to. :(

So I think I’m going to try the 20-820 this weekend and stay with the 10K miles OCI. I know the Redline 5W-30 is OK with that so the extra insurance of the larger filter area will let me sleep better. :)

OP
OP
tfeni52355

tfeni52355

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Longhorn
Engine
Changed the filter to the 20-820. Plenty of room for it. Added a Fumoto valve to make oil changes a little easier going forward. Added a little over 7 Qts Redline 5w-30 to make up for the larger filter.

I put a gallon ziplock baggie around the old 10-48 filter when taking it off. Worked like a champ. Almost no leakage of oil outside the baggie. Just have to take your time taking the filter off. Nice way to keep the messy filter contained for disposal as well.

maverickmk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Changed the filter to the 20-820. Plenty of room for it. Added a Fumoto valve to make oil changes a little easier going forward. Added a little over 7 Qts Redline 5w-30 to make up for the larger filter.

I put a gallon ziplock baggie around the old 10-48 filter when taking it off. Worked like a champ. Almost no leakage of oil outside the baggie. Just have to take your time taking the filter off. Nice way to keep the messy filter contained for disposal as well.

Oh my goodness. You're a genius! I hate changing the oil because of the oil that runs all over when I remove the filter. I will do this at my next change.
As for my oci, I run Valvoline synthetic and change at 10,000 with a standard size Wix filter.

Damion

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’ve read people use the srt filters. Not sure if they are the same quality as royal purple or others though but the are different than the regular mopar.

Has anyone installed the offset filter adapter for the hemis that mopar sells? I’m probably gonna add one to mine here soon. Cost is around $100 and puts the filter at a 45 degree to the block

OP
OP
tfeni52355

tfeni52355

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Longhorn
Engine
Oh my goodness. You're a genius! I hate changing the oil because of the oil that runs all over when I remove the filter. I will do this at my next change.
As for my oci, I run Valvoline synthetic and change at 10,000 with a standard size Wix filter.

Wish I could take the credit for the baggie but I read it on these forums and tried it.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wish I could take the credit for the baggie but I read it on these forums and tried it.

same here, been using a baggie every change.....read it here

MarineBSP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi Damion,

I wanted to use that 45 degree offset filter adapter on my 2018, but it won't work on any of the RAM's w 5.7L Hemis that have the factory oil cooler fitted - I think that's everything 2015 and newer . . . (sigh). I'm considering what kind of relocation kit to install . . .

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
The forum experts say it fits...with or without electronic steering models. I stick with the RP10-48 because I cant imagine working anything bigger in there...I have had a few “frustration posts” on here, usually after I do the change....My OCI w/RL5w-30 is usually 4k, never sees 5k, so by my math im good. Probably overly so, but Id like to hang on to this thing for a decade too.

can't blame you for playing it safe with oci. but if you are running Redline 5w30 you should send a sample at next change to blackstone for a uoa. they will analyze your oil and yell you what you can safely run for oci. im on my first Redline run. everyone is telling me 7k miles for first change and send for uoa for future oci. redline isnt cheap, and you may be able to safely double your oci.....so half your RL costs. take the guess work out

OP
OP
tfeni52355

tfeni52355

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Longhorn
Engine
can't blame you for playing it safe with oci. but if you are running Redline 5w30 you should send a sample at next change to blackstone for a uoa. they will analyze your oil and yell you what you can safely run for oci. im on my first Redline run. everyone is telling me 7k miles for first change and send for uoa for future oci. redline isnt cheap, and you may be able to safely double your oci.....so half your RL costs. take the guess work out

Agreed. Just checked the Blackstone sight and ordered my free kit so I have it on hand for next oil change. I’ll spend the$28 to protect the $58K investment and who knows, maybe save that with longer OCI’s.

It’s pretty awesome to read their sample reports they have online. Amazing what they can tell from the oil. 16RamHemi Thanks!

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
Agreed. Just checked the Blackstone sight and ordered my free kit so I have it on hand for next oil change. I’ll spend the$28 to protect the $58K investment and who knows, maybe save that with longer OCI’s.

It’s pretty awesome to read their sample reports they have online. Amazing what they can tell from the oil. 16RamHemi Thanks!

absolutely! those reports are priceless! my last 2 rams were leases. i did no maintenance. my current truck is a 14 with 74k miles. im being as proactive as possible. ive learned a ton on here. i did my first oil change to redline, swapped trans pan and fluid to redline, swapped rear diff and trans case to redline. worst thing for me is second guessing myself (thank god for this forum and youtube) and lack of tools. but i pick away as i go. paying dealer crazy prices will make me go broke.