Open question - help required

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ken MacDonald

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey all...found this group by accident, and I'm glad I did...

I had my engine rebuilt last year on my 2013 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi - at 292,000 kms. I now have 367,000 kms and am having some issues.

I'm burning through oil like mad - and I've had to add coolant twice now...reservoir is empty.

I'm not noticing any leaking anywhere, not leaving any puddles, but I am noticing a nice cloud when I first start it up.

Last night, while out running a couple of errands, the check engine light came on - code said Cam Shaft out of place and a second one was 5514 - code not in system.

Any ideas / suggestions?

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Have you checked your oil? If it looks like a milk shake you got some major issues.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I’m gonna say maybe a terribly worn head gasket. That would explain the smoke. Is it really white? Sweet smell? Burning oil in that amount is also not good and probably head gasket. You probably have a sludge going into your motor. If In fact that much coolant got into the motor she’s cooked.

How have you just found this site? Do you live under a rock ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I’m gonna say maybe a terribly worn head gasket. That would explain the smoke. Is it really white? Sweet smell? Burning oil in that amount is also not good and probably head gasket. You probably have a sludge going into your motor. If In fact that much coolant got into the motor she’s cooked.

How have you just found this site? Do you live under a rock ?

This if its turning to sludge which I would bet it is burning a high amount of both that motor is wrecked!

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hey all...found this group by accident, and I'm glad I did...

I had my engine rebuilt last year on my 2013 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi - at 292,000 kms. I now have 367,000 kms and am having some issues.

I'm burning through oil like mad - and I've had to add coolant twice now...reservoir is empty.

I'm not noticing any leaking anywhere, not leaving any puddles, but I am noticing a nice cloud when I first start it up.

Last night, while out running a couple of errands, the check engine light came on - code said Cam Shaft out of place and a second one was 5514 - code not in system.

Any ideas / suggestions?

Hey, Ken. Welcome! I lived in Lethbridge from 2002 to 2012. Curious. Did you get a shop to rebuild your engine? Was there a warranty? is there more to this story? (run it hard, go through an overheat situation, towing situation) Just curious how a a rebuilt engine with only 75000 km (45,000 miles) gets to this state so quickly?

How did you put 45,000 miles on it in a year????

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
How did you put 45,000 miles on it in a year????[/QUOTE]
I had my 18 for 9 months just turned 39k lol

OP
OP
Ken MacDonald

Ken MacDonald

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
1. I appraise houses - I cover a lot of territory - put roughly 6-1200 kms on it every other day.
2. The oil looks clear, not sludgy at all.
3. Not a lot of smoke, just noticed it the other morning. And only lasts a couple of seconds - not long at all.
4. Drives fine....on the most part. Just had the engine light come on yesterday.
5. It was a shop that re-built it...warranty was for 50,000 kms, and now they won't even return my calls.
6. The coolant reservoir has a hole - just replaced that...so no worries about any mixing...

I'm replacing the PCV valve tomorrow when it comes in...took it to another mechanic and he didn't see any leaks anywhere - he's going to do a compression test and check the spark plugs to see if there's a limited issue before taking it all apart.

Now, for the main answer - no, I don't live under a rock...I just don't have a lot of time to be on the internet searching things out....I had a few minutes this afternoon, thought I'd google my issue and this site came up.

Thanks guys...I'll have them check about the head gasket...I appreciate the help.

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
oh wow. thats crazy mileage. there's some good further info there btw that I'm sure some of the more experienced here can give you some thoughts on. hopefully productive info! When I lived in Lethbridge, btw, my mechanic was a guy close to the firehall on the West Side if you need another opinion. Fair prices, straight shooter. I had a 92 YJ and he did all the work on it. There was also a guy who had a garage by the UNI there on the West Side in the parking lot by the Taco Bell/KFC. Don't know if its still there but he was highly recommended by many people. I only had him deal with a minivan the wife had one time. I think it was a loose fan belt and he tightened it for free. Probably could have taken her for a ride.

Glad you found the forum A lot of good people and advice on here. Sounds like your a super busy guy. Visit as you can. I'm in Airdrie now btw. Used to run Rock 106 and The River. lol

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
1. I appraise houses - I cover a lot of territory - put roughly 6-1200 kms on it every other day.
2. The oil looks clear, not sludgy at all.
3. Not a lot of smoke, just noticed it the other morning. And only lasts a couple of seconds - not long at all.
4. Drives fine....on the most part. Just had the engine light come on yesterday.
5. It was a shop that re-built it...warranty was for 50,000 kms, and now they won't even return my calls.
6. The coolant reservoir has a hole - just replaced that...so no worries about any mixing...

I'm replacing the PCV valve tomorrow when it comes in...took it to another mechanic and he didn't see any leaks anywhere - he's going to do a compression test and check the spark plugs to see if there's a limited issue before taking it all apart.

Now, for the main answer - no, I don't live under a rock...I just don't have a lot of time to be on the internet searching things out....I had a few minutes this afternoon, thought I'd google my issue and this site came up.

Thanks guys...I'll have them check about the head gasket...I appreciate the help.

You should get the Tapatalk app and download this forum. It’s WAY easier and you can ask questions on the road! Perfect for someone like you ! Sit in a coffee shop parking lot if you want to save data and read the info you need.

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
For not returning calls?

Yes. It’s a major criminal offence lol.

I think he’s saying if they are trying to dodge him to get out of warranty work that’s an option to cover his ass. That way if it ever goes to court he can say he called, emailed, Sent an official letter etc. It shows behaviour on the part of the shop to avoid dealing with it and knowingly doing so would allow the warranty to lapse.

In this day and age it’s how things get done. Hug your local lawyer

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^ accountability and over sight are a thing of the past... now you best have everything documented with paper work. Unless if you know a guy... and in that event you best take care of him lol.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
How did you put 45,000 miles on it in a year????

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

You seriously keep the roads hot huhh

I love my truck!
Blue Mule 18 Ram 4x4 C/C
Tradesman Power Wagon

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi

You seriously keep the roads hot huhh

I love my truck!
Blue Mule 18 Ram 4x4 C/C
Tradesman Power Wagon[/QUOTE]Lol yea my daily commute is 160 miles it's just way cheaper where I live

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine

I second on checking the head gaskets. Check the head bolts. Perhaps someone forgot to torque them down. Good thing you found it in time. My hunch is your burning that oil at start up but once the engine is warm the head gaskets seal.

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
For not returning calls?
Yes. If I pay for a new engine that includes a warranty and you are trying to potentially avoid honoring it. What do you recommend? Go and make a scene or threats? Or send a card thanking them for taking my money and F--king me on the warranty?

StoneDude76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Maybe valve seals. Wonder if they replaced them when they rebuilt it.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk