QA1 Shocks: Modified & Installed on 4G Ram - Parts Needed, Install Tips, etc..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

6speed4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Awesome man! I'm glad it was helpful to you!

Great idea for getting the bushings in without cutting them, thanks for sharing that! Oh, and welcome to RF!
Post up your impressions of the QA1s after you spent some time driving with them.

:favorites13:

Thanks David, I'll definitely post some feedback from a lowered working truck perspective- tied together with a whole bunch of questions.....

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Man, just read through all of this. Good stuff.

I'm still not sure on the QA1s myself since they're twin tube... And the double adjustable are EXPENSIVE. I'm tempted to just do air suspension on all four corners hahaha.

OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Man, just read through all of this. Good stuff.

I'm still not sure on the QA1s myself since they're twin tube... And the double adjustable are EXPENSIVE. I'm tempted to just do air suspension on all four corners hahaha.

10 pages and you aren't convinced??? Damn, if I was a sales person, I would be a pretty ****** sales person, lol!!! :favorites13:

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
10 pages and you aren't convinced??? Damn, if I was a sales person, I would be a pretty ****** sales person, lol!!! :favorites13:

I mean, mono tube shocks are simply superior by design. Not saying all mono tubes are better, but for the most part they are.

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Just curious, are the Belltech SP shocks monotubes?
I seriously doubt it, but I don't know for sure.
EDIT: Just checked, they're twin tube.

Also, what's the concensus on single vs. Double adjustable? It's about a $400 difference for all four.

Last edited:

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Been looking at some other offerings as far as shocks. No clue on the mounting though.

OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I seriously doubt it, but I don't know for sure.
EDIT: Just checked, they're twin tube.

Also, what's the concensus on single vs. Double adjustable? It's about a $400 difference for all four.

I think single is enough for a dd street truck. If you were traveling around competing at various road coarses and you were spending a lot of time dialing-in the suspension for each track, then I'd say dual for sure...

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I think single is enough for a dd street truck. If you were traveling around competing at various road coarses and you were spending a lot of time dialing-in the suspension for each track, then I'd say dual for sure...
Those are pretty much my thoughts exactly.

I think I'm going to end up going with the singles for now.

What length would you need on the steel sleeves to not need the washers?

OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Those are pretty much my thoughts exactly.

I think I'm going to end up going with the singles for now.

What length would you need on the steel sleeves to not need the washers?

Well, the sleeve on my 2012 stock shocks are 1 and 11/16" long. But if you just get long sleeves you might have a hard time finding bushings to fill the opening... You obviously want the bushings to be tightly sandwiched between two solid "things." :)

If you want to reduce the size of the spacers/washers you could go with these bushings ( http://www.ramforum.com/877503-post14.html ) from QA1 and use maybe a 1/16" washer on either side or something like that.

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
That link isn't working for me for some reason. I may have to try it on my laptop

Edit: Got the link to work.

Honestly I'm thinking about using some sort of spacer instead of the washers, but I'm not sure yet. I'm probably just being far too OCD about all this haha.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That link isn't working for me for some reason. I may have to try it on my laptop

Edit: Got the link to work.

Honestly I'm thinking about using some sort of spacer instead of the washers, but I'm not sure yet. I'm probably just being far too OCD about all this haha.

You can get some spacers, I posted a link to some somewhere in this thread... Found it: http://www.amazon.com/Morton-TW-5SS...ords=steel washer 9/16 id&tag=viglink21284-20

If I was to do the install over, I would use those thicker bushings and the spacers. Not that I believe there is any benefit to that over the washers, but it would make my ocd feel better too! Lol! Oh, and it would look a little better. :crazy:

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
You can get some spacers, I posted a link to some somewhere in this thread... Found it: Morton TW-5SS Stainless Steel 300 Heavy Duty Washer, 9/16" Bolt Size, 19/32" ID x 1-3/16" OD, 3/16" Thick (Pack of 10): Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

If I was to do the install over, I would use those thicker bushings and the spacers. Not that I believe there is any benefit to that over the washers, but it would make my ocd feel better too! Lol! Oh, and it would look a little better. :crazy:

Looks like the Amazon link is broken?

6speed4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
image.jpg
The Morton SS spacers work absolutely perfect- very slick
I was worried about bushing windup from possibly being too snug- so far they are absolutely silent- dry, no lube

OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Cool man! Looks great! I might just do the switch some day (washers to spacers). :favorites13:

Fixed your pic. :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 91

6speed4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
But feels like there is slack between the sleeve and bolt.
I've got about 2k miles on my truck since the QA1 install, double checked it last night, everything is tight with no slack between the shock mount, spacer or sleeve....
I used the Belltech SP shock torque spec.- 100 lbs. When a changed the shocks from BT to QA1 everything was still tight at a 100- 2mo later....