Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

SFT Tuning

Discussion in 'Dodge Ram Eco Diesels' started by Patrity, Jun 20, 2019.

1. Patrity

Patrity Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    3.0 Ecodiesel
    Just wanted to give a shout out to these gents and to spread some information.

Seems a few people here see pedal commander or other box tunes as a viable option for inexpensive tuning. I'd steer people away from these for a multitude of reasons. Overfueling is NOT tuning properly.

I purchased the SFT OBDII tunes on Father's day sale for $720. (They are $900 regularly)

The set up was a breeze, no popping the hood, no removing the ECM. All you have to do is wait on your two modules, one for the transmission, one for the ECU.
    You then copy your original tune, send it to SFT and usually within 24hrs they send you back the tuned files. The owner of SFT, Jimmy is also super easy to work with and very responsive to issues.
    Switching between the tunes is simple. If I have a warranty issue, it takes all of five minutes to go back to my truck and put the stock tune back on.

Now the transmission tune is not required but I highly recommend it. The transmission feel very smooth now and there is no more hard downshifts when you get on the pedal and drop into 2nd/3rd.

GDE is also a viable option and arguably more reputable but I went with SFT simply for the convenience of being able to tune via the OBDII port, and not swapping an ecm.

The main difference I hear between the tunes is the GDE has more top end performance while SFT has more low end, getting you up and going off the line quicker (not that anyone should really be racing these trucks lol)

I just wanted to post my thoughts here and again, steer people away from the box tunes. The Heavy Duty market has learned it's lesson with box tunes and it's no different on these trucks.

McBroom and woofie2 like this.
  2. Kapt

Kapt Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    3L
    I looked at their site. How do you do it?

3. crash68

crash68 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    3.0 EcoDiesel
    You failed to mention there is a lot more research and development that has gone into GDE tune. GDE has a lot more miles logged on their tunes in real world testing pushing these EcoD motors, so you can drive with confidence that the tune isn't going to operate the components in unsafe conditions. GDE has taken their test truck to Davis Dam not to mention all of the customer owned trucks which a surprising number are well into the 100K mile range all tuned(there are several over 200K and even 300K miles.

JohnnyMac and tidefan1967 like this.
  4. tidefan1967

tidefan1967 Senior Member Supporting Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Why would you mention the Pedal Commander as it has absolutely nothing to do with tuning. A Pedal Commander is a great way to "feel" like your getting a little bit more power without worrying about the warranty and nothing more.

McBroom and JohnnyMac like this.
  5. JohnnyMac

JohnnyMac Hold my beer and watch this..... Military

Ram Year:
    2018 1500 Laramie
    Engine:
    3.0 EcoDiesel
    The fact that they stuff this engine in Masaratis (Ghibli & Quadraporte) leads me to believe that the "over fueling" argument doesn't really apply like it would to an HD. I'm guessing folks that buy Masaratis aren't buying them to drive like a truck.

McBroom likes this.
  6. Kapt

Kapt Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    3L
    ???

7. woofie2

woofie2 Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    3.0 v6
    Tuning boxes do not advance timing, adjust maps based on load or fix shifting issues in a transmission. They give more fuel and boost, and make smoke. Black smoke on a diesel is unburnt fuel, and wasted MPGs.

I also got the SFT tune on Fathers day(ECM and TCM, 20% off sale was hard to pass, they seem to run it on holidays), still haven't loaded it as I need to get the cyber security bypass cable installed, and I am waiting for my first oil change.

Reasons I went with SFT:
    I can load it myself! or unload it if needed
    Their software is MPG minded, not just raw power and smoke.

I had rocketchip software on my Jetta TDI, loved it, Rocketchip helped my MPG (when not racing SCCA Solo) their software was based on the European car maps, which gave a boost to the American cars.

Soon there will be an I am Sofa King Tuned post from myself. and a few reports.

8. John Jensen

John Jensen Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Ecodiesel
    I'm SFT tuned and agree with all that Parity (and woofie2) says it is. The SFT tune has an automatic "up idle" when starting a cold engine - very nice. Also, the owner, Jimmy, is very knowledgable and helpful. He has helped buyers, step by step through the install, who were intimidated by their computer. I might add that his tune updates are free.

To Kapt who has twice asked, "I looked at their site. How do you do it?". On the SFT web site select "Setup", it's all there. Also good info in the "FAQ"

woofie2 and Kapt like this.
  9. Patrity

Patrity Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    3.0 Ecodiesel
    Because time and time again people recommend them. They should not even be an option. The EGR design is bad enough on our trucks, so let's just go ahead and over-fuel them as well.

10. Patrity

Patrity Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    3.0 Ecodiesel
    I don't want to post a link here and get banned but there is a how-to section if you look on the top.