Simple Job with Random Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tony Burton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
OK, putting some Magnum RT running boards on, done the passenger side no issues. Get to the drivers side and slap bang where the front support bracket bolts to the truck there is a random piece of metal work that does not seems to serve any kind of function at all. Anyone know what the is and if it can be removed to make way for the step bracket?? If not I will cut the bracket to size and rely on two rather than three bolts to hold the front of my step in place. Any other ideas welcome.

0D20C71B-AF61-40C2-87CD-D1BAAF4A3DAA.jpeg

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
OK, putting some Magnum RT running boards on, done the passenger side no issues. Get to the drivers side and slap bang where the front support bracket bolts to the truck there is a random piece of metal work that does not seems to serve any kind of function at all. Anyone know what the is and if it can be removed to make way for the step bracket?? If not I will cut the bracket to size and rely on two rather than three bolts to hold the front of my step in place. Any other ideas welcome.

View attachment 240289
You can remove the fasteners and remove the bracket to make room for your step bracket.

I have to remove this bracket all the time when installing steps.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Out of curiosity, why the hell would they even have it there? Especially if its not needed!

OP
OP
Tony Burton

Tony Burton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Out of curiosity, why the hell would they even have it there? Especially if its not needed!
Is seems a pretty big chunk of metal just to hold the wiring loom in place, but I really can't see any function other than that

Halligan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I wonder if it's added to increase rigidity of the rocker panel to reduce flex when the driver uses his side steps to get in and out of the truck. Does anyone know if instructions for actual Mopar steps call for discarding the bracket?