Synthetic Motor Oil Poll 2017

What Synthetic Oil(s) Do You Use Most Often?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@HEMIMANN Thanks for that. There is a local dealer here, but I'm not sure how much the sales people will understand about the products they sell. Not being racist or anything, but often these stores are manned by people from the Indian subcontinent who know nothing more about the product than what is on the label.
You ask a technical question and they look at you like you're an idiot with a clueless expression on their faces.
If I'm going to be heading there, I need to know exactly what I need to get.

I've been reading up on the HEMI tick. A part of the reason for the HEMI tick is idling in traffic for extended periods and short journeys which don't allow the engines to get up to temp, etc.
I've been reading up and it seems that this is for such a reason that Castrol Magnatec was created.

Would really love to hear from someone who has used Castrol Magnatec on their engines and what is the viscosity being used.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
@HEMIMANN Thanks for that. There is a local dealer here, but I'm not sure how much the sales people will understand about the products they sell. Not being racist or anything, but often these stores are manned by people from the Indian subcontinent who know nothing more about the product than what is on the label.
You ask a technical question and they look at you like you're an idiot with a clueless expression on their faces.
If I'm going to be heading there, I need to know exactly what I need to get.

I've been reading up on the HEMI tick. A part of the reason for the HEMI tick is idling in traffic for extended periods and short journeys which don't allow the engines to get up to temp, etc.
I've been reading up and it seems that this is for such a reason that Castrol Magnatec was created.

Would really love to hear from someone who has used Castrol Magnatec on their engines and what is the viscosity being used.
Parts store employees here in the USA are not any better. They only know what is printed on the bottle also.

I think your biggest problem is getting a counterfeit product in your part of the world.

Last edited:

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
In my search today, I came across this link..
HEMI tick finally cured
Someone used seafoam to cure his HEMI tick and then did an oil change with Valvoline. I'm thinking of trying this out and using Castrol EDGE or Magnatec. The only thing is that I don't know what to choose in between the two. Which one would better suit an engine with MDS?

FYI Seafoam is made up with between 35% & 55% Alcohol and Naphtha, my self would not use it in my engine oil, so why not try something that's made made to be mixed with engine oil that may help quite lifters: RISLONE 100QR ENGINE TREATMENT https://rislone.com/products/maximum-performance-engine-treatment/

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looking at the current poll stats, it seems that only a 62 votes (combined) for Castrol Edge and Magnatec. It is quite a small number and probably the reason why no one yet has commented on how Castrol Magnatec has worked on their engine. Maybe those who voted for Castrol don't use it anymore.
I don't know what percentage of users are using Magnatec. I'm interested in trying it out. However looking up the Chrysler certification, it seems that only Edge is certified with the MS-6395.
I would love to see a comparison on which is better for the HEMI overall - Edge or Magnatec.
Also, a number of articles have mentioned that Magnatec is not a full synthetic and others call it is a full synthetic.
Then there are two types - Magnatec and Magnatec Start Stop.

Seeing that Edge has the certification and is a full synthetic, should I just use Edge? For my use case and what I've learned about Magnatec, it would appear that Magnatec is better for the kind of driving I do - city traffic, short 15 - 20 minute trips, etc and in climates that sometimes exceed over 50.C

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
You would be surprised at how many different oils used in the Hemi do not have MS-6395 on the label, if the oil you want to use meets or exceeds API requirements then I would use it without a second thought, see if you can find a good SN/CF, SN/CJ-4 or SN/CK-4 synthetic oil in the weight you want to use, the C lets you know its for diesel engines..

lobo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 c.i.
Has Chrysler solved the hemi tick on it's new engines? Just curious as I am driving my old 97 with a 318 with only small minor problems over the years. With Stelantis and Fiat, the Ram has gotten progressively worse in the last 15 years. As long as people keep buying junk, they will keep making junk.

Last edited:

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Has Chrysler solved the hemi tick on its new engines? Just curious as I am driving my old 97 with a 318 with only small minor problems over the years. With Stelantis and Fiat, the Ram has gotten progressively worse in the last 15 years. As long as people keep buying junk, they will keep making junk.
I wouldn’t call them junk. Chrysler is not the only one… GM has issues with ticking as well on their engines too.
Honestly I don’t think that pushrod engines like the thinner synthetics manufacturers are prescribing to these days. They do it in the name of efficiency and EPA ratings.
I don’t think the HEMI is a bad engine. It certainly needs better care than what the manufacturer tells us to do.
My brother’s 2004 Durango ran 5W30 oils of various brands and quality.. never suffered a tick at all. It’s exactly the same engine as what is in my 2014 Ram. I faced the tick because most of the time I ran the thinner oils my manual said I had to.

lobo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 c.i.
When a company has a problem and they keep producing the product without attempting to solve the problem, it is time for customers to find an alternative product. I had a problem with a 2016 ford focus dual clutch transmission which was repaired under warranty (there was no real fix as they just wear out again shortly) and the day I got it back I traded it on a Camry.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
When a company has a problem and they keep producing the product without attempting to solve the problem, it is time for customers to find an alternative product. I had a problem with a 2016 ford focus dual clutch transmission which was repaired under warranty (there was no real fix as they just wear out again shortly) and the day I got it back I traded it on a Camry.

The HEMI 5.7 as we currently know it has in some shape been around since 2003. That is 20 years of niggly problems that have yet to be addressed in their entirety. If consumer push backs has not happened by now to make FCA/Stellantis address the inherent issues of this engine, it is not going to happen.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI

So what do you do in a consolidated business climate when they all operate this way? Horse & Buggy?

The purpose of Forums is to share user experiences to help each other find personal solutions. Occasionally some deep-pocket types sue and win. That is the exception, not the rule.

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyone ever heard about the brand Idemitsu?

Idemitsu oil.jpg
Look at the Moly on that...
@Burla what are your thoughts?

Attachments

• idemitsu-5w-30-sds.pdf
    114.5 KB · Views: 4

Rhett5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have had a hemi tick since I got a new 6.4 hemi replaced after a cam was shredded. (Replaced under extended warranty)

Always just got my oil changed at a Valvoline with 0W-40 European (rated as one of the best oils for our trucks when Googled)

I was getting more and more annoyed at the ticking it made (not exhaust) and finally said screw it, I'll do it myself. I had a 03 cummins and later swapped it to a 6.7 cummins (that was totaled) and only used Rotella 15W-40 T5 and T6. Decided why not try Rotella T6 5W-40 and sure as sh¡t it cleared up the ticking. Used about 7.5 qts to get it at the correct height w/ filter change.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
@Rhett5.7 Thanks for sharing. Isn't Shell Rotella a diesel engine oil?
View attachment 512044

The 5w40 a few years ago was a dual use engine oil SM/SN -CJ/CK-4, now they have Rotella T6 multi vehicle synthetic oil in 5w30 its rated API CK-4, API SN, it works well in both gas and diesel engines, I have a PDF on it if you need to see it.

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@06 Dodge Thanks for that, but it would be no use. I wouldn't know what I'm looking at. All that technical data would go over my head.
We don't get Rotella where I live. All that we have the Shell Helix. Not sure if it is the same, but I've heard good things about it.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
@06 Dodge Thanks for that, but it would be no use. I wouldn't know what I'm looking at. All that technical data would go over my head.
We don't get Rotella where I live. All that we have the Shell Helix. Not sure if it is the same, but I've heard good things about it.

According to Shell Helix is the same oil or equal to, it just has a different name due to where its being sold..