Ticking in the engine...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Yes us dudes that had dealt with hemi tick so much are more sensitive to engine noises, but good news that wasnt metallic tick brother, peace from USA.

OP
OP
knightjp

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@Burla Thanks again. I did promise you a longer video.

Engine Ticking 5

I'm convinced that it isn't the dreaded HEMI tick. You are not wrong. Having gone through it, I don't want that mess again. I'll do whatever I can to prevent it.
What is your opinion of Amsoil? I see that it has more votes on than Redline and even the guys on Motor trend Engine masters always swear by it. I've heard people call it the only "true" synthetic oil. I've been meaning to give it a shot, but I always chicken out and put in Redline.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
With redline prices shooting up, if you can get it cheaper, might be worth a shot. Of note @Hemi395 who had a ticking engine like us used 0w40 amsoil ss and it was great against tick, make sure SS. Also a couple guys like tj didnt have luck with amsoil, so it isnt a sure thing. Redline is real synthetic as well, and they didnt chase rc specs, which means redline is still over built as far as additives that help tick, amsoil is more api friendly.

OP
OP
knightjp

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For me the best remedy for the tick would be to replace the faulty lifters and cam if needed and then put in Redline 5W40 for the first oil after the rebuild and then Redline 5W30 after as a preventative measure.
Right now I'm looking for a good oil that will prevent the tick from happening. So far, I'm convinced that Redline is the answer there, but I've heard great things about Amsoil from a number of sources and was wondering if it was as good.

Would certainly be a good experiment. I tried Motul and to be honest, the engine didn't sound as smooth as it did with Redline. Even the Mechanic said so.

OP
OP
knightjp

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@Burla well, my mechanic checked the header bolts and the headers. He found no fault.
I found this on Reddit.. https://www.reddit.com/r/Ram1500/co.../?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

According to some it was a failing water pump.

I posted the same videos on reddit too, to see if there is anyone there with an idea...
https://www.reddit.com/r/ram_trucks.../?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

One comment said that it could be a rod bearing failure. Is he talking about the pushrod or lifter bearing?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
@Burla well, my mechanic checked the header bolts and the headers. He found no fault.
I found this on Reddit.. https://www.reddit.com/r/Ram1500/co.../?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

I posted the same videos on reddit too, to see if there is anyone there with an idea...
https://www.reddit.com/r/ram_trucks.../?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

One comment said that it could be a rod bearing failure. Is he talking about the pushrod or lifter bearing?
only the 3rd vid did I hear something. I don't think it is a rod issue. water pump is good guess, maybe one of the pully bearings. Pull the belt real tight and release then start truck and see if that eliminates noise just for a minute.

OP
OP
knightjp

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@Burla Thanks for that. The ticking has become a little more prominent. Still not as loud as the what was on my old truck. I've posted a new video on the reddit link so that you can listen to it and added the video I took of the old truck with the confirmed lifter tick.

I'm going to go back in the morning and ask the mechanic to do an oil change with Redline 5W40 just to be on the safe side and see if that resolves it. He will also check the water pump and the rest of the pulleys.
Interestingly enough, the Hemi tick has a couple of reasons.
Broken or loose exhaust manifold bolts (this is the most common answer)
Loose spark plugs (this is the second most common answer)
Roller rocker on the camshafts
Faulty lifters
Lack of lubrication
Low-quality fuel

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

The comment referring to the Rod bearing,is probably referring to the connecting rod that connects the crankshaft to the piston.They have bearings in both ends of the connecting rod,and when most guys refer to the rod bearing,it's the bigger bearing on the bottom of the connecting rod,where the rod connects to the crankshaft,the smaller bearing on the other end of the connecting rod that connects to the piston,is usually referred to as the wrist pin bearing.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OP
OP
knightjp

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes us dudes that had dealt with hemi tick so much are more sensitive to engine noises, but good news that wasnt metallic tick brother, peace from USA.
I showed the car to the mechanic again, he said that the initial lifter tick noise that he heard when we were purchasing the truck, seems to have come back. He suggested that I do an oil change of Redline 5W40 and then see what happens from there. He wants to rule out the possibility that it might be a lifter tick that I'm experiencing right now.
Yeah.. after going through the lifter tick once, I don't want to have to go through that again.

OP
OP
knightjp

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
@Burla I took another video and posted it on the reddit. It is labeled with today's date "15 Dec 2022". It is about 2 minutes long and I asked my brother to rev the engine to 2000rpm to illustrate the tick.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ram_trucks/comments/zlkpj3/weird_ticking_from_the_engine/

I'm not convinced that it is a lifter tick yet, but it is sounding very close.
You are back in the states or you bro went over there?

So that is not redline in the engine? The engine sounds good, like just maybe a little raspy not like real tick, maybe what we call ticky, my guess redline will send that straight to butter. Take another after you put in redline? What is the current combo?

That last video is a little troubling, I'm not sure if oil combo can help with that. Dang,

OP
OP
knightjp

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@Burla No.. I've never been to the U.S. nor has my brother. I will make a visit one day. I have some friends over there.
By last video, you mean the one dated and labeled for today's date right?
Yeah, it does not sound good.
It was running Redline 5W30 until the last oil change. Currently it is Amsoil Signature Series 5W30.
I hope Redline 5W40 will sort it out. The ticking isn't as loud as the one I had on my previous truck (the last video in the reddit post).

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
@Burla No.. I've never been to the U.S. nor has my brother. I will make a visit one day. I have some friends over there.
It was running Redline 5W30 until the last oil change. Currently it is Amsoil Signature Series 5W30.
I hope Redline 5W40 will sort it out. The ticking isn't as loud as the one I had on my previous truck (the last video in the reddit post).
Yes the bottom video. Did that bad sound happen on 5w30 redline, or is it worse with the amsoil?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
No never mind, that was on old truck, so I'm not sure why you post that. I don't hear much in the top 2 video's, but yes I do believe the redline will turn that into butter smoothness.

BTW, on the old truck, did it sound like that on redline or was that a different oil?

OP
OP
knightjp

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@Burla i posted the video to show what a bad lifter tick sounds like.
The old truck was smooth as butter when I started using Redline.
If I recall, I recorded and posted that video and you were the first one to reply to me and tell me that it was a lifter tick and I should stop using 5W20 on my engine; especially considering I live in the Middle East, where temps go over 50.C in Summer.

At the time of the recording of that old truck video, I was using Mopar oil 5W20. That was what the dealer sold us.
That is why I'm not always convinced that the dealer knows best, or maybe they had reasons that were a bit more insidious for selling us that oil.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
It is crazy that redline would quiet that, but as many of us know, that's what it does. Time and time again, lol.

OP
OP
knightjp

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It is crazy that redline would quiet that, but as many of us know, that's what it does. Time and time again, lol.
@Burla well my fix for the truck was to replace the lifters and then use 5W30 oil. I had to convince my mechanic to use Redline 5W30. He mostly preferred to use the Mopar oil from the dealer. Now after hearing how the engine sounded with Redline, he recommends it to all his customers who come in with HEMI V8s.

OP
OP
knightjp

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@Burla Well I'm looking for Redline 5W40 to run in the engine and see if that will quieten the tick. However there seems to be an issue where there is no stock. Any other brands you suggest?
Amsoil Signature Series 0W40?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
We did have two guys like that 0w40, but as I recall towards the end of the interval the tick came back. But what real choice do you have? Yes it is one of the better choices 0w40 amsoil ss. Look through bitog old uoa and find a high moly 0w40 or 5w40 if no amsoil.