Tire shop scratched my door - advice on repaint door or touch up?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eldoradoram

Reaction score
Ram Year
NA
Engine
NA
Hey all, looking for some advice on handling a scratch.

Quick story is tire shop left a 6-7” scratch in the middle of the drivers side rear door, the employee I was working with was friendly and helpful, we went first to the detail shop down the street that they work with. Detailer inspected and said “no” too deep to polish out, me being easy going and really busy and not wanting to deal with it in the first place asked if he could get it “good enough”? He suggested a paint pen from the dealership and that he could blend it. Did that, it was better looking but still obvious, took truck back to him to polish out all my forest pin-striping that I wanted to do anyways. After that, truck looked new again, all the little scuffs/scratches gone! Now....the touchup filled in scratch looks much more obvious.

So I called tire shop back, they are having the manager call me back, they are informed of the situation. They say theres no way to fix without repainting the whole panel (door), which they can do BUT....they tried to warn me (scare me off?) that when you repaint a panel it never matches the factory paint and will look worse and worse as it ages. But that its up to me.

So question is: should I push to have them repaint the door? Anyone have experience with this situation? Am I going to have a crappy looking mis-matched door in a few years if they repaint it? I dont have any experience with repainting vehicles so I really don’t know if they are just trying to steer me away from the more expensive fix option or if its a legit concern. What would you do?

The truck is a ‘19 Calssic in Delmonico Red (cherry metallic red/maroon) for reference.

Thanks for any help!

KMKKOZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any doors in a local salvage yard you can get a skin in the same color? Would look factory.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Repaint, scratch fix will not look good at all for the size and placement you indicate. You have a newer truck, a good shop will be able to match it without it being noticeable, although if you try hard enough to see it you will. But, it will look sooooo much better than scratch repair. Good luck

OP
OP
E

Eldoradoram

Reaction score
Ram Year
NA
Engine
NA
That was my feeling as well but like I said, no experience with this kinda situation.

Ridgerunner665

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you happen to be in northeast Tennessee, I know a guy.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

michael harpe

U.S. Army 2001-2014
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 hemi
I had to get both passenger and drivers doors replaced due to a cart return that didn’t want to get out of the way. They painted and blended to match the paint on the truck and you can’t tell a difference. Repaint the door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Paint. The Delmonico is tough to touch up without seeing it. Some of the other colours are easy to touch up and hide, but not Delmonico.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I also say get it repainted, It is a fairly new truck. Good that you are trying to be fair and as mentioned a good paint guy /Gal can do a perfect match

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any decent paint shop will match it. They make a living out of this. I'll worry more about the tire shop covering the repair.

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
My 19 Laramie in Delmonico Red was hit in the rear quarter by a Menards cart propelled by 50 mph winds a couple months back. It left a dent about a foot tall and deep. All the body shops said it was beyond dentless repair as the paint had a large cracks in it.

I had the dealership body shop do the repair. I can't tell you how much body repair they did but they replaced my mud flaps and top bed rail indicating they at least re-cleared the entire panel.

Bottom -line, no matter how hard I look I cannot detect a repair.

The repair cost $1500 as a guide. It was comprehensive coverage due to wind damage.

Good luck with yours.

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Nothing matches, everything blends. A good shop can do that repair no problem and give you a lifetime warranty. It will all depend on where that scratch is in your damaged panel how much they have to blend in each Direction. After the color blend they need the full clear all the panels involved. B t w every bit of trim and Hardware needs to be removed in the repainted areas.

MickeyGreene

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’d definitely go with a repaint. As others have said, the scratch just won’t look right with a paint pen fix. Most reputable shops will be able to match very closely to the surrounding areas so it’s undetectable.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
how about some photos? hard to say without seeing it.

Hemi832

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You can't age new paint but if the shop is good, they will only correct what they have to and leave as much of the original paint. Just don't let them tell you they will have to do a blend with both doors and the bed. If they do they are full of crap and just go to the next shop.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
Re-paint...

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
They are trying to "warn" you to keep from spending the money on the repair. As others have said, a good shop should be able to match you paint 100% but they will have to blend the neighboring panels. Aftermarket paint is never as durable as factory paint because they cant bake it as hot, but on a door panel shouldn't be an issue.

Kertusca

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Repaint the panel, my rear passenger door was scratched 4 years ago. Took to dealership and they did an amazing job. Took it all apart and put it together. To this day you can’t tell that door was repainted