Towing a fifth wheel - confused

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

15Ram64

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'm new here and somewhat clueless. Hubby and I recently purchased a new (to us) 2015 2500 6.4L Hemi 4x4 Tradesman Long Bed. We are the third owners of this truck. We got it with the intentions of buying a travel trailer next year. However, the RV salesman said we could do a fifth wheel with this truck. The one he showed us was quite big (UVW 9778, GVWR 11995, hitch 1834). I'm no dummy so I came home and did some research. I think it's too heavy for our payload. Am I right?

According to Dodge, the tow capacity on the truck is 12790 lbs, payload is 2991 lbs, GVWR is 10000 lbs, and the GCVWR is 19800 lbs.

I found a smaller fifth wheel that I really like. This one has a UVW of 8295 and a hitch weight of 1338 lbs. This one is doable, right?

Oh and the previous owner of the truck changed the tires from 18s to 20s. Does that come into play as well?

Thanks so much!

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
That first trailer is probably about as heavy as you would want to go with your truck, do you know which axle ratio you have?
Your a thousand under the payload of the truck with the pin so you have some room for yourselves and cargo in the truck. The truck itself is about 7K so even with the trailer maxed out you'll be at the GCVWR. Keep in mind that 2500 trucks are usually "limited" to a 10K GVWR so they don't have to be played as commercial in some states. For that size trailer you may want to add rear helper airbags to control any porpoising

OP
OP
15Ram64

15Ram64

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
That first trailer is probably about as heavy as you would want to go with your truck, do you know which axle ratio you have?
Your a thousand under the payload of the truck with the pin so you have some room for yourselves and cargo in the truck. The truck itself is about 7K so even with the trailer maxed out you'll be at the GCVWR. Keep in mind that 2500 trucks are usually "limited" to a 10K GVWR so they don't have to be played as commercial in some states. For that size trailer you may want to add rear helper airbags to control any porpoising

Axle is 3.73.

Is your response in reference to the first fifth wheel I mentioned or the second one?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Is your response in reference to the first fifth wheel I mentioned or the second one?

The first one you mentioned with the 11995 GVWR, that one will be about as big as you'll want to pull with the truck. Having 4.10 would be nicer especially if your headed through the mountains.

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Mine is ‘14 6.4. I tow a 10047lb(14Kmax) dry toyhauler fifth wheel with mine. Many will tell you that the payload numbers are “funny” on a 2500. It has the same frame, drivetrain, and axles as the 3500. You don’t have any reason to be afraid of that trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Your payload should be fine with that first TT. I haven't towed that heavy with mine but although legal that might be a little heavy. If you will be towing on flat ground it should be fine. The 2nd TT you mentioned would obviously also be legal and doable. The salesman may have been thinking of a diesel. Payload on that same truck with a diesel would be closer to about 2100lbs so you would be very close to being over with that but well under with the 6.4.

OP
OP
15Ram64

15Ram64

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Mine is ‘14 6.4. I tow a 10047lb(14Kmax) dry toyhauler fifth wheel with mine. Many will tell you that the payload numbers are “funny” on a 2500. It has the same frame, drivetrain, and axles as the 3500. You don’t have any reason to be afraid of that trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You guys have been helpful! Thanks. :)

OP
OP
15Ram64

15Ram64

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Your payload should be fine with that first TT. I haven't towed that heavy with mine but although legal that might be a little heavy. If you will be towing on flat ground it should be fine. The 2nd TT you mentioned would obviously also be legal and doable. The salesman may have been thinking of a diesel. Payload on that same truck with a diesel would be closer to about 2100lbs so you would be very close to being over with that but well under with the 6.4.

We do plan on traveling to the Smokies next summer so that means driving through Roanoke. Not too steep but not flat either. We upgraded from a Ford F-150 so this truck feels like a beast.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
I was looking at 5th wheels too just as an option or upgrade. I wouldn't have a problem with any payload/pin weight, but my tow capacity is only 13792lbs, which I thought was kind of low until the difference between the 3.73 & 4.10 plays a factor. Looking at some of the 5th wheels that would be perfect for what we'd be looking for, pin weight no issues....but the UVW/dry weight of the trailer would be close to my max tow rating only leaving maybe 1k lbs for cargo....and I don't want to be max'd out. It's always nice to have wiggle room.

HDGoose

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L6 Diesel HO
Duplicate entry...

HDGoose

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L6 Diesel HO
I towed a 12k max toyhauler with my 2013 RAM 2500 diesel that had 2400 payload. The weight slip was a heavier than normal at 11.5k Total weight was truck and trailer was under 21k truck. Was within 500 pounds of GAWR. But everything was under max. No road issues. Maybe 3 inches squat. even with 110 gallons fresh water on board.

Your gasser will tach higher in the hills, but nothing out of range.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
I was looking at 5th wheels too just as an option or upgrade. I wouldn't have a problem with any payload/pin weight, but my tow capacity is only 13792lbs, which I thought was kind of low until the difference between the 3.73 & 4.10 plays a factor. Looking at some of the 5th wheels that would be perfect for what we'd be looking for, pin weight no issues....but the UVW/dry weight of the trailer would be close to my max tow rating only leaving maybe 1k lbs for cargo....and I don't want to be max'd out. It's always nice to have wiggle room.
In your case power (and multiplication factor due to rear gears) will be your limiting factor. Obviously that same chassis can tow 20,000lbs plus or whatever the Cummins will tow so the suspension, brakes, hitch, etc are all up to par. It won't be 'legal' but if you are ok with towing 15,000 without 'abusing' the drivetrain then the rest of the truck would definitely handle it. Another option would be to upgrade to 4.88's. It won't change your legal tow capacity but it would handle 15,000 pretty easily then. Or go with one size smaller TT and be good where you are.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Operating at or near 100% of weight ratings makes for a less than pleasant experience. If I were in your position I’d probably opt for the smaller tow. How strongly I’d feel about that would be influenced by how many miles per year I’d be towing and where. Fewer miles at lower elevations not so much concern. Lots of miles and or higher elevations- I wouldn’t enjoy a highly loaded gas truck.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Great info so far and I agree the payload is somewhat artificially capped. I can't remember what year it changed but I know my 2014 2500 has the exact same rear axle as a SRW 3500. My door sticker gives a RAWR of 6500# and I believe when they made the change it went to 6000# so you might be able to tell which you have.

My truck is similar to yours except in a short bed and I pull an 11,000# (loaded weight) 5th wheel. Payload aside I can tell you I wouldn't want to go much heavier. The crappy tranny gear spacing really starts to bite you at these upper weights. The newer trucks with an 8spd sound like a dream but that's a whole other (expensive) subject :)

With my 11,000# 5th I'm usually right at (or a hair over) the 10,000# GVWR. But, that accounts for a slider hitch that you don't need with the long bed so you can save +/- 100# right there. Also, I often have a family with me and other junk in the truck bed. My main concern is the rear axle weight and with my upgraded tires and (presumably) same axle as the 3500 I have 7200# (weight police relax... I know nothing changes the door sticker - I'm just pointing out that there is breathing room beyond the 10,000# GVWR).

Between your two trailer options, I think you'll be happier with the lighter one but you could make the heavy one work. Great job looking into this BEFORE you buy. These boards are full of people with buyer's remorse because they listened to the salesman.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
In your case power (and multiplication factor due to rear gears) will be your limiting factor. Obviously that same chassis can tow 20,000lbs plus or whatever the Cummins will tow so the suspension, brakes, hitch, etc are all up to par. It won't be 'legal' but if you are ok with towing 15,000 without 'abusing' the drivetrain then the rest of the truck would definitely handle it. Another option would be to upgrade to 4.88's. It won't change your legal tow capacity but it would handle 15,000 pretty easily then. Or go with one size smaller TT and be good where you are.

The only issue, 4.88's wouldn't be cheap to buy or install. :) Would be nice....but money. Will just see what fits if we go the route of a 5'er

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
It won't be 'legal' but if you are ok with towing 15,000 without 'abusing' the drivetrain then the rest of the truck would definitely handle it.

I also don't want to be "that" guy either

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I'm new here and somewhat clueless. Hubby and I recently purchased a new (to us) 2015 2500 6.4L Hemi 4x4 Tradesman Long Bed. We are the third owners of this truck. We got it with the intentions of buying a travel trailer next year. However, the RV salesman said we could do a fifth wheel with this truck. The one he showed us was quite big (UVW 9778, GVWR 11995, hitch 1834). I'm no dummy so I came home and did some research. I think it's too heavy for our payload. Am I right?

According to Dodge, the tow capacity on the truck is 12790 lbs, payload is 2991 lbs, GVWR is 10000 lbs, and the GCVWR is 19800 lbs.

I found a smaller fifth wheel that I really like. This one has a UVW of 8295 and a hitch weight of 1338 lbs. This one is doable, right?

Oh and the previous owner of the truck changed the tires from 18s to 20s. Does that come into play as well?

Thanks so much!

I just want to echo the other great responses you've gotten so far.

With your 3.73 gearing, I'd opt for the lighter trailer, personally. What is the gvwr of the lighter trailer? I'm assuming over 10k, correct?

I've always felt once you go over 10k, your in diesel truck territory. Not that my hemi couldn't do it, because it is a beast, but that's asking a lot of it.

My truck is similar to yours, same gearing and pulls my 6k tt very well, like a freight train. I know I could easily go another 2k at least in trailer weight, no problem at all.

I'm a big believer in having the right tool for the job. You don't use a hammer to drive rail road spikes. As said, if your not going far and not going often, you could ,manage the bigger rig, but if you are planning on going more often and longer distances, the lighter trailer will give you a more pleasant towing experience.

Great job coming on here and asking first! Many do not and consequently make big, costly mistakes. Well done!

OP
OP
15Ram64

15Ram64

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4

Have you looked at the Grand Design Reflection 150 Series? The second 5th wheel I mentioned in my OP is a 150 Series.

OP
OP
15Ram64

15Ram64

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I just want to echo the other great responses you've gotten so far.

With your 3.73 gearing, I'd opt for the lighter trailer, personally. What is the gvwr of the lighter trailer? I'm assuming over 10k, correct?

I've always felt once you go over 10k, your in diesel truck territory. Not that my hemi couldn't do it, because it is a beast, but that's asking a lot of it.

My truck is similar to yours, same gearing and pulls my 6k tt very well, like a freight train. I know I could easily go another 2k at least in trailer weight, no problem at all.

I'm a big believer in having the right tool for the job. You don't use a hammer to drive rail road spikes. As said, if your not going far and not going often, you could ,manage the bigger rig, but if you are planning on going more often and longer distances, the lighter trailer will give you a more pleasant towing experience.

Great job coming on here and asking first! Many do not and consequently make big, costly mistakes. Well done!

The GVWR of the second one is 10195. I also really like this one because it has a fireplace lol. As far as weight goes, it's in-between the 2 I posted yesterday. https://granddesignrv.com/showroom/2021/fifth-wheel/reflection/floorplans/28bh

Obviously a travel trailer would be a better match, but hubby is nervous pulling anything so we're thinking a 5th wheel will be a better experience all around. Thanks!