Transmission issuesUnless it’s a complete tear down in the tranny and put back together then I can’t

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Gift

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins turbo diesel
Hi everyone My 2017 6.7 turbo diesel I’m having problems At about 45 miles an hour and it shifts,in the low gear like it’s going to pass somebody but then immediately goes right back shifting between high and low. I really can’t afford to take it to a transmission shop, I’m pretty mechanically inclined so Unless it’s a complete tear down in the tranny and put back together then I can’t do that. Thank you for any help

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Hi everyone My 2017 6.7 turbo diesel I’m having problems At about 45 miles an hour and it shifts,in the low gear like it’s going to pass somebody but then immediately goes right back shifting between high and low. I really can’t afford to take it to a transmission shop, I’m pretty mechanically inclined so Unless it’s a complete tear down in the tranny and put back together then I can’t do that. Thank you for any help
How many miles are on the truck now?

Is this an RFE unit or the Aisin?

What is the condition of the fluid?

Was it recently serviced?

What gear is the transmission in when this problem begins?

Does the concern happen when you manually upshift 1-2-3-4-5-6?

OP
OP
T

The Gift

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins turbo diesel
Sorry for the delay I was working

86,000 miles

RFE.?

Fluid is dark .this is where I was going to start

Last service was in August

I want to say it’s either 3 rd or 4th .i do know it happens at about 43mph

I haven’t tried manual upshift I’m waiting to drain Tran

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
If it was just serviced in August and the fluid is dark there is definitely something wrong. Usually, burnt fluid is due to slipping. The erratic shifting could be due to a bad valve body but also a lot of other things. Just throwing parts at it can get expensive in a hurry. Getting some basic diagnostics from the dealer or a tranny shop would be worth it for sure. Tearing into an auto tranny is nothing for even a skilled mechanic unless they know what they are doing.

OP
OP
T

The Gift

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins turbo diesel
If it was just serviced in August and the fluid is dark there is definitely something wrong. Usually, burnt fluid is due to slipping. The erratic shifting could be due to a bad valve body but also a lot of other things. Just throwing parts at it can get expensive in a hurry. Getting some basic diagnostics from the dealer or a tranny shop would be worth it for sure. Tearing into an auto tranny is nothing for even a skilled mechanic unless they know what they are doing.

Thank you thank you for your share of knowledge and advice . I’m going to take it in . Have them asses it . Nd thanks for the warning on wrenching on transmission I’ll stick to changing tires and alternators and stuff