Type of oil used V.S 5.7 HEMI engine failure ????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jim BB

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
This has probably already been discussed and beaten to death but I would be interested i seeing If maybe a OIL brand and or viscosity has anything to do with 5.7 HEMI engine failures!
Sorry if it has been discussed already! and for opening up a can of preverbal worms !

OP
OP
Jim BB

Jim BB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
It would also be interesting to know the frequency or infrequency of oil changes. Maybe lack of maintenance?
i should have added that as well ! i am sure that has a lot to do with it !

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
You guys...

We've been discussing these things for the past 10 years in the oil thread.

You can try your best, but one day the cam reaper may show up at your door and you'll hear his hemi knock

OP
OP
Jim BB

Jim BB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
You guys...

We've been discussing these things for the past 10 years in the oil thread.

You can try your best, but one day the cam reaper may show up at your door and you'll hear his hemi knock
Thank you for your input but This coming from someone driving a Tundra and is on a RAM forum ! No disrespect but I am curious to see if a oil brand or change intervals or oil viscosity has a roll to play in anything ! so with out asking you will never know ! the only dumb question is the one that is not asked !!

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Better you should ask why Kap is in a tundra, pretty relevant to this discussion.

In the synthetic oil thread the early pages these question were asked to try and find out some correlation to lubrication and cam fails. It might be a lot of pages but this was answered. It would be hard to duplicate those results at this time with hemi's getting older and those people leaving ram forum because they got rid of their rams many of them. At the time, the only pocket of into we pulled out was in a short period of time 6 cam fails in a row 6 different owners all were non moly oils. 3 different brands, but at that time those brands didnt see moly in their formula, which has changed. There was not much past that, cam fails and/or hemi tick happens with all brands of shelf oil. Of note, many oils with moly also had fails, it was just this random pocket of cam fail reports that was telling. I'd read those early pages if I was interested in this info, it wasn't done with stringent reporting methods, but you will get an idea. Many of the threads where not in the oil thread, but rather the info was reported to the syn thread, obviously at the time every random cam fail was common knowledge to the syn thread as they were in the forum at the same time.

Last edited:

Light299

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 gas
I'd actually be interested in collecting data on when a cam fails, how many idle hours were on the engine.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This has probably already been discussed and beaten to death but I would be interested i seeing If maybe a OIL brand and or viscosity has anything to do with 5.7 HEMI engine failures!
Sorry if it has been discussed already! and for opening up a can of preverbal worms !

You mean like this... (see attachment)

The last entry into this database was in late April of this year.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 91733 miles.

Attachments

• img177.jpg
    img177.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 56

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 91733 miles.
Interesting for sure, and what we would guess as far as brands. The one question would be all those cam fails and not one of them had hemi tick. Or none of those had came fails? Hard to see cause nothing is labeled.

Jane S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

If you use recommended oil you shouldn't have a problem.

Are you using something other than the recommended oil?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Thank you for your input but This coming from someone driving a Tundra and is on a RAM forum ! No disrespect but I am curious to see if a oil brand or change intervals or oil viscosity has a roll to play in anything ! so with out asking you will never know ! the only dumb question is the one that is not asked !!
The oil brand and weight may or may not contribute to when an engine lets loose. I don't drive a Hemi either but I see enough fleet vehicles to know they're maintenance is done mostly by the schedule(10K mile average OCI) in the owners manual usually using the bare minimum on oil(quick change bulk oil), the vehicles are used and abused but they don't fail at any faster rate than the people using all the premium oils/filters at 5K or less OCIs and drive like old farts.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Interesting for sure, and what we would guess as far as brands. The one question would be all those cam fails and not one of them had hemi tick. Or none of those had came fails? Hard to see cause nothing is labeled.
None of those on the survey had a lifter/cam failure. Likewise none reported a lifter tick.

The column titled Cam/Lifter Mileage was intended to capture the approximate mileage a lifter/cam failed. This data column was titled that way because I anticipated some amount of this population would've had a lifter and cam replacement. I was a little surprised out of 50+ respondents none did.

I should note that I actually approached over fifty people with Rams to get this type of information, but some didn't meet the survey criteria (ie: 2nd, 3rd owners). Some weren't comfortable sharing VIN and other information.

Since I have a contact there, I attempted to get some funding and assistance from the University of Rochester for a broader study, but there was little interest.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 91760 miles.

Last edited:

Bob1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2016 1500. I change my oil once a year (usually less than the 8,000 recommended interval) and use whatever synthetic the dealer has. Drive sensibly with no problems...yet.
I have way too many other things to worry about than the engine in my truck.

OP
OP
Jim BB

Jim BB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L

Regards,
Dusty
Yes thank you Dust something just like this !
Like Burla said interesting not one with the normal HEMI tell tail signs of failure ! Now this may only be only a page but all but one in Ny

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As somebody who spent 10+ years doing automotive testing and evaluation, I can tell you there is absolutely no way to get any even half-way reliable correlation between oil brand and weight based on peoples comments on a webpage. There are just way too many other variables going on between each of these trucks. How is each truck driven (all empty freeway miles, always pulling a trailer, hot rodded, etc...), what is the average ambient weather like (Arizona or Alaska!), frequency of oil changes, etc, etc, etc.... When a manufacturer comes out with a new engine, for example when the 5.7 Hemi was first introduced years ago, they literally tested hundreds of vehicles running the exact same drive cycle in the same condition to see what issues there were. Another example is when they maybe revised something like the front axle of a truck. They may have a dozen identical vehicles running at the same time on the exact same drive cycle to see if they have any repeat failures. And no, I'm not exaggerating the number of vehicles. I did a lot of work for several large auto manufacturers and if you go to their R&D centers or Proving Grounds they literally had thousands of test vehicles running under very controlled conditions.

OP
OP
Jim BB

Jim BB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
As somebody who spent 10+ years doing automotive testing and evaluation, I can tell you there is absolutely no way to get any even half-way reliable correlation between oil brand and weight based on peoples comments on a webpage. There are just way too many other variables going on between each of these trucks. How is each truck driven (all empty freeway miles, always pulling a trailer, hot rodded, etc...), what is the average ambient weather like (Arizona or Alaska!), frequency of oil changes, etc, etc, etc.... When a manufacturer comes out with a new engine, for example when the 5.7 Hemi was first introduced years ago, they literally tested hundreds of vehicles running the exact same drive cycle in the same condition to see what issues there were. Another example is when they maybe revised something like the front axle of a truck. They may have a dozen identical vehicles running at the same time on the exact same drive cycle to see if they have any repeat failures. And no, I'm not exaggerating the number of vehicles. I did a lot of work for several large auto manufacturers and if you go to their R&D centers or Proving Grounds they literally had thousands of test vehicles running under very controlled conditions.
Thank you for you input and insight ! I worked for a ford dealer years ago and my Dad worked for Ford Motor Company for over 30yrs as well ! so i know about there testing facility's and testing grounds! and how they go about testing! I am not looking to get a defiant thats the problem data what i was hoping for is ( I had engine failure at XXXX Km or Mi I use Xbrand X viscosity changed at X Km or Mi and live X state or province !
That way you have an idea hot climates more or type of oil re viscosity or a maintenance issue thats all

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes thank you Dust something just like this !
Like Burla said interesting not one with the normal HEMI tell tail signs of failure ! Now this may only be only a page but all but one in Ny
Correct, except one PA vehicle.

As a survey goes it is far from definitive, and as 62blazer makes the point, there are many more variables that will have an impact on failure rate for this subject. This was my attempt at a level one to see if I could detect a pattern in my climate and area of the country and to see if there was any evidence supporting my suspicions. Since each vehicle represents a personal interview (I'd ask random Ram owners in parking lots and grocery stores, etc.) I found that roughly half of the drivers couldn't (or wouldn't) supply all of the necessary info.

I ran into time constraints. If you are so inclined please feel free to use or modify the survey form I developed. Since I never intended to publish any results, you are free to use the existing data from my survey.

One surprise for me was the complete absence of a reported "Hemi tick." Oddly enough, one of my sons had a 1998 that did have a tick, but obviously before MDS. After doing some research I found that the now infamous tick was common well before the introduction of MDS and few reports of any failures because of it. Now, most of the recent reports of a tick usually do equate to a failing lifter/cam, which make me believe they are two separate scenarios.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 91814 miles.

Gom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just saw an interview recently with the engineer who designed the engine in the Nissan GTR and he said if you want your engine to last, change oil every 3k miles, period. Said you can change the filter every other change if you do it at 3k.
I do 5k but this was one of the first I have seen someone going back to the 3k miles standard. He even said use cheap oil if you do 3k changes.
Not supporting this viewpoint, just found it interesting.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Correct, except one PA vehicle.

As a survey goes it is far from definitive, and as 62blazer makes the point, there are many more variables that will have an impact on failure rate for this subject. This was my attempt at a level one to see if I could detect a pattern in my climate and area of the country and to see if there was any evidence supporting my suspicions. Since each vehicle represents a personal interview (I'd ask random Ram owners in parking lots and grocery stores, etc.) I found that roughly half of the drivers couldn't (or wouldn't) supply all of the necessary info.
I think it's interesting information and can see somebody trying to put the effort into it. My main point is just to make sure people put this type of information into perspective. Pretty common for one person jump on here and say "I use 5W-30 Mobil1 oil and my cam and lifters fail". Next thing you know is that multiple other people starts saying if you use 5W-30 Mobil1 your cam and lifters will definitely fail, and they are only saying that because they read that one post....and there is no definite evident the oil had anything to do with it. 12 months later somebody will make a post stating "look at all of these people who posted about cam and lifter failures using 5W-30 Mobil1". Well, no there are not a lot of people who had that issue. Rather just a lot of people who saw one post and started repeating it.