What Oil Do You Use and Why?

What Oil Do You Run and Why?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
HammerHead

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
Wander how much difference the filter mag makes on you're UOA. Would filter media catch that stuff anyway?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

My iron went from 25 ppm to 15 ppm with the addition of the filter magnet. It could be normal wear-in for my engine or the filter mag is doing its job. Same oil filter was used between those two oil changes. Running the M1 oil filter right now, it filters down to 30 microns, any iron particles smaller than that should be caught by the magnet. I haven't cut one open yet.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That PUP is good stuff!!!
Maybe :)

I just changed to it and can swear I hear the engine ticking under load. Not a knocking or pinging from low quality gas, but more of a sewing machine type tick noise.

At idle the engine is great, so im not sure of the tick under load is an issue or maybe a heat shield vibrating or maybe its all just in my head. Having a co worker ride with me today to see if they can help pin point it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

SilverBullet85

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Have not done my first change yet in the truck. My challenger has the same motor and I had been using castrol full synth for a couple of years. The tick would go away at first but return pretty quickly over time. This past time I used Pennzoil platinum diamond tricoat maxx supreme hd pro grade or something of the sort and I gotta say it does make the hemi tick go away on my challenger. I can't hear the tick at all in my truck but I plan to stick with the pennzoil full synth stuff for the time being.

OP
OP
HammerHead

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
Have not done my first change yet in the truck. My challenger has the same motor and I had been using castrol full synth for a couple of years. The tick would go away at first but return pretty quickly over time. This past time I used Pennzoil platinum diamond tricoat maxx supreme hd pro grade or something of the sort and I gotta say it does make the hemi tick go away on my challenger. I can't hear the tick at all in my truck but I plan to stick with the pennzoil full synth stuff for the time being.

Pennzoil Ultra Platinum (PUP)
Amsoil
Redline

Are the 3 top oils I see people use on this forum. Amsoil and PUP seem to have more engine noise than the Redline. Amsoil is my go-to oil of choice. Been using it since 2013 will great results.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum (PUP)
Amsoil
Redline

Are the 3 top oils I see people use on this forum. Amsoil and PUP seem to have more engine noise than the Redline. Amsoil is my go-to oil of choice. Been using it since 2013 will great results.

Seems to me, the engine builds are not always equal. What works for some in their hemi won't work for others and their hemi. I was a long time M1 user started in the early eighties. Never an issue. Put in my 11 hemi on the first oil change and swear I have never heard a noiser engine. Dumped it and used the original penzoil ultra and quited right down. Same result after with pp. Switched pp after the ultra disappeared. Just my observation.

firecadet613

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just hit 1,000 miles on my 2019. Ordered 3 of the 5qt jugs of PUP 5W20 on Amazon ($25/each) and 2 Mopar filters. All set to arrive in the next few days, probably will knock out that first oil change in the next few days.

For the little extra cost to run full synthetic vs regular, it's worth it in my book. I could get SuperTech 5W20 for $12/5qts....but what's a few bucks. I've never had an engine issue and will run the best, changing oil/filter every 5,000 miles.

OP
OP
HammerHead

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
Just hit 1,000 miles on my 2019. Ordered 3 of the 5qt jugs of PUP 5W20 on Amazon ($25/each) and 2 Mopar filters. All set to arrive in the next few days, probably will knock out that first oil change in the next few days.

For the little extra cost to run full synthetic vs regular, it's worth it in my book. I could get SuperTech 5W20 for $12/5qts....but what's a few bucks. I've never had an engine issue and will run the best, changing oil/filter every 5,000 miles.

I'm glad your changing your oil at 1k. I got a new truck last year and changed at 2,400 miles and had the oil tested at Blackstone labs. I honestly was surprised at how high the wear metals were. Changed my oil 3 time in the first 10k.

That PUP is good oil, it was tested on the oil testing site, tested good at normal operating temperature but when heated to 275 degrees F it performed amazingly. Only had a minute 2.7% drop in wear performance. The Lowest out of all other oil tested for thermal stability. That PUP is a solid oil.

Last edited:

firecadet613

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just traded a F150 with the 2.7 EcoBoost. Ran PP 5W30 in that...figured why not get the PUP since it's the same price on Amazon! Interested to hear what it does with the tick...honestly haven't noticed/listened for it yet.

I've owned a few Hemi's over the years and am familiar with it.

John813

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've been using Amsoil in multiple trucks so will stick to that. Curious about the PUP though.

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's a LOT of extra cost, but so far the truck seems to like it.

John813

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So, about to change the oil on the 19, as I passed 1k miles, and just want to swap oil.
My wifes Durango took 7 quarts, and I see the 4th Gen took 7 quarts.
Either they forgot to give me an owners manual, or I'm blind cause I didn't see jack in the Essential Information Guide booklet.

I don't want to assume anything when it comes to this lol.

firecadet613

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So, about to change the oil on the 19, as I passed 1k miles, and just want to swap oil.
Either they forgot to give me an owners manual, or I'm blind cause I didn't see jack in the Essential Information Guide booklet.

7 qts. Manual is in the uconnect system or do like I did. Call Ram and request a paper manual - free!

OP
OP
HammerHead

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine

What oil are you going with?

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
Have tested several oils over the last several months. Have now settled on Redline 5-30 in my 03 5.7 230k miles and the same in my 87 GN turbo 98k miles. In my 2018 6.4 I am putting Redline 5-40 in next week. After years of Royal Purple and Baldwin filters, I learned (from this forum) you need to stay on top of the changing oil technology. Never knew that oil company's would change their blend. Redline is doing for my vehicles what I expected. Wear reduction. Heat protection/reduction. Cold start and full operating temp protection.

OP
OP
HammerHead

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
Have tested several oils over the last several months. Have now settled on Redline 5-30 in my 03 5.7 230k miles and the same in my 87 GN turbo 98k miles. In my 2018 6.4 I am putting Redline 5-40 in next week. After years of Royal Purple and Baldwin filters, I learned (from this forum) you need to stay on top of the changing oil technology. Never knew that oil company's would change their blend. Redline is doing for my vehicles what I expected. Wear reduction. Heat protection/reduction. Cold start and full operating temp protection.
I would love to see a Blackstone oil report on that Redline, I think your the only high mileage Ram running it. What's your OCI?