While the manifold is off?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LoadedExpressRam

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2014 Ram 1500 CC 5.7L RWD
Planning on replacing my intake manifold with one i ported and i was wondering is there anything i need or should do while its off? Ive already replaced my plugs and coil packs but curious about anything else.

-Replace/clean my Oil Control Valve or VVT solenoid? I hear they get get clogged or screen breaks are common.
-Clean the MDS solenoids? Ive seen where these things collect a tremendous amount of metal on the magnetic tip.
-Replace or clean any other parts that im not aware of?

Appreciate the help.

OP
OP
LoadedExpressRam

LoadedExpressRam

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

savage_46

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 swapped
You happen to know if their 5.7 kit would fit a 6.4 manifold? I'm pretty sure the underside is the same

EDIT: just read the article. Good info that I never would of thought about. 18 hp on a lightly modded vette is pretty good. I wonder what our trucks would gain.

Last edited:
OP
OP
LoadedExpressRam

LoadedExpressRam

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you’re going to try to clean the mds solenoids. You better order some just in case. They are always seized in and come out in pieces.
Very good point. I did see that on a few install vids from my instructor, YouTube.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Honest question-how easy is it to pull the manifold on these trucks?

They’re not to bad. The worst part is the unplugging the runner valve at the back. The wiring isn’t very long so you can only pull the manifold forward so far then have to reach behind to try and unplug it.

OP
OP
LoadedExpressRam

LoadedExpressRam

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Honest question-how easy is it to pull the manifold on these trucks?
Havent pulled mine yet but like @Tach_tech said i think the hardest part is the sensor cable in the very back. There are ton of videos on YouTube that show the process. I think its A1 auto that shows a pretty in depth tutorial on how to remove and install.

OP
OP
LoadedExpressRam

LoadedExpressRam

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Who cares?
It's not expensive and easy to install, so even if it only helps a little, why not?
Agreed. There are some fairly cheap alternatives out there if one doesn't want to spend $75 on something that may not work. I found a kit thats pretty simular for $20 off ebay. Let yall know how it goes.

OP
OP
LoadedExpressRam

LoadedExpressRam

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
First impressions of the knock off HeatShield is its thin. Probably something between a 32th or 16th but seems pretty durable. Cant really compare the two since ive never had a HeatShield product but for the price i thought it would be worth a shot since this really wasnt an upgrade i was planning anyway. I will say the adhesive on the back looks to be very tacky so hopefully itll stay put once installed. May look in to some high heat glue to be sure but we'll see. Once i have on the manifold ill take some more photos but below is what i got so far for others interested. For comparison the HS was i believe $67 and the AT was $20.20201222_183501.jpg 20201222_183520_HDR.jpg 20201222_183552_HDR.jpg