Why are manufacturers still putting chrome on trucks?

Do you like trucks with chrome?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I like chrome. But i hate to care it. I have a motorcycle with chrome and it's pain-in-a$$ to clean it after each ride: bugs, dirt, water stains.. Ugh.. So of course i thought about chrome option but decided to go without it: don't have so much time to clean and polish it. Maybe when i retire i change my mind.))

I really don’t know what I’m doing any different from you are but I don’t find it that hard to keep my chrome clean. In the summertime, all I use is just a can of that bug and tar remover to coat the front of it to help the bug splatters wipe off easier and up until I started using a foam cannon, I would just use a bucket with a wash brush and some Maguires car wash soap, then dry it off with a large microfiber towel after spraying some wax-as-you-dry on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's when I slow way down to eff you speed and adjust my rear view accordingly. Then when they finally pass, I'll hit em with the light bar... that I haven't bought yet... dang, I still need to get one of those to go behind my grill. This is just an imaginary scenario atm. lol

That's definitely a good reason for chrome though.

It’s a good thing my rear view and side mirrors are auto-dimming because most bright lights from the rear don’t even phase me. Lol. But my LED highbeams are pretty bright to give them a dose of their own medicine when they finally pass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I believe the op was referring to the bumpers and mirrors that look cheap. And for the most part they really are. Especially the grilles, door handles, and mirrors that are not much better than the shiny side of foil wrapped in saran wrap. They start to bubble and peal and its over.
What I laughed at with the comment was that your truck is monotone. With color matching bumpers. Chrome can be a PITA and when it gets a little dirty, tends to look much worse (cheap) than the painted surfaces around it.
I was a good example of what the OP described and disappeared a lot of the chrome on my limited, it was over the top for me and I have only heard positive comments about it. Not one person has said they preferred the chrome. But thats just my experience.

View attachment 229745

View attachment 229747
Not sure who said my truck was monotone but it wasn't me. I personally don't think the chrome door handles, mirrors or grill looks cheap and I also feel they are a lot more durable than paint. I also feel the flat black door handles and black textured mirrors look cheap and can't stand the way they clash with a lighter color truck like mine. As far as my bumpers go I would have gotten the chrome bumpers had they been available on an Express but they weren't. I wanted the Express due to the fact that it has the 44-45 transfer case which was only available on the Express, Tradesman or Outdoorsman at the time. I wanted a Quad Cab and there were no Tradesman trucks available in a Quad Cab with the options I wanted. I honestly like the balance between the white truck with white bumpers now with the chrome accents. I would have preferred the chrome at the time but it has grown on me. In any case to each his own. If we all had the same taste life would be boring.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

jack67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
57OLDS57.jpg
I'm not bashing anyone that likes chrome, everyone has got different tastes and that's all good with me.

In todays market it just seems to me like that vast majority of consumers don't want chrome on their trucks, and if they buy a truck with chrome they end up painting over it...

I personally can't stand chrome on my vehicles, i just think it looks cheap and gaudy. I shopped for my truck for a long time to get the one i wanted without any chrome.

I think Ram understands this better than other makers, so many ram trucks are outfitted with color matched bumpers and black accents/wheels.

Ford gets it too, it seems like more F-150's now have paint matched bumpers now as well.

In my opinion it seems like chevy and toyota have a running contest going to see who can fit more ugly chrome on the front of a truck lol

What are your thoughts? Do you guys still like chrome or no chrome?
And I really disagree that "most don't like chrome"!!! Lots of people still like chrome!
And your poll shows that far more people like chrome than not. And the fact that GM still offers chrome says a lot too... they go by what the public wants. ;)

I love chrome as it adds class to the vehicles. I'm old school from the 50's-60's, early 70's chrome days and for a few decades chrome disappeared starting with the late 70's Camaro's, Corvette's etc. I thought those really sucked and never bought one again... Before then I had two Corvettes, two Camaro's and loved them. Cars really sucked when the chrome disappeared. Then the Auto industry a few years ago got smart and added Chrome again...along with the classic 70's replica such as Camaros, Chargers, Challengers etc, then the sales went up, people loved it.

However, if your an hard core off road person, then chrome is not a good idea.

Now, not to say many don't like chrome, like you, but don't say people don't like chrome. I for one won't own a car that don't have chrome on it.

My all time favorite of course is my first car, a 1957 Olds. 57OLDS57.jpg
Even my old ******* had chrome on it and I loved it!
Honey1.jpg

Have a nice day...

Last edited:

leroys73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm not bashing anyone that likes chrome, everyone has got different tastes and that's all good with me.

In todays market it just seems to me like that vast majority of consumers don't want chrome on their trucks, and if they buy a truck with chrome they end up painting over it...

I personally can't stand chrome on my vehicles, i just think it looks cheap and gaudy. I shopped for my truck for a long time to get the one i wanted without any chrome.

I think Ram understands this better than other makers, so many ram trucks are outfitted with color matched bumpers and black accents/wheels.

Ford gets it too, it seems like more F-150's now have paint matched bumpers now as well.

In my opinion it seems like chevy and toyota have a running contest going to see who can fit more ugly chrome on the front of a truck lol

I like it and want it. However, if mine was a work truck I'd want painted.

Truckit

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Longhorn Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I like both but I had a 2012 Longhorn with painted bumpers. Never again. After about a year the front bumper needed repainting due to rust from stone chips. (high mileage and salt). Also I would much rather have a little dent in the chrome than have to replace plastic parts when someone taps you in a parking lot. I've had many plastic bumpers but IMO they aren't for work vehicles. I currently have a new Limited and a new Longhorn ordered (I'll only take one). Both will have chrome bumpers.

TheCouveAbides

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think chrome has it's place and there's vehicles that don't have chrome that look great too. personally I don't like the "Murdered" Blacked out look. It's way too hard to keep presentable and once it gets dirty or a few scratches in it just looks tacky IMHO, BUT I've also liked that look on show cars. I have a 67 Chevelle in my stable that I think would look tacky without the chrome on it. Again just my opinion. My dad used to say - "Opinions are like as!@#les, everybody has one" LOL! 67.jpg

Last edited:

boblonben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Most of us folks WANT some chrome on our trucks. Like 5% or better in most surveys. Although will admit there are some that are over done, oh well.

Mike Flea

US ARMY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
my hot rod.JPG cruiser.JPG my '54.JPG My first purchased RAM was a '96 Work Truck, metallic blue body, argent wheels & bumpers, grey grill w/black inserts, black door handles & mirrors, the only thing that I wanted improved on it was a chrome grill, but traded it off before that happened.

My 2003 QC was purchased used, white w/ chrome grill, bumpers, & badges, argent wheels, black door handles & mirrors, just the right amount of chrome.

My current, 2010, purchased used, light pearl grey, argent wheels & bumpers, chrome grill & badges, black door handles & mirrors.

Glossy Black, Fire Engine Red, or Metallic Blue look great with the grill, bumpers, wheels, mirrors, door handles and trim done in chrome, but I do agree with those that that mentioned an overabundance of chrome looks gaudy.

PJ Snyder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

PJ Snyder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
All depends on the truck.

Ram offers monochrome paint schemes and well as chromey fancy trim levels too. Seems like they know how to sell to their market, in this case both markets.

I think chrome looks good on higher trim levels it helps distinguish the higher end models.

Jonnyb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Interesting topic. Like the rest of the truck the painted bumper scratches To easily. I have the Laramie with chrome bumpers. The front bumper still has a painted plastic cap on it. It chips easy and man do the bug guts love to eat away at the paint. Love bug season in Florida is murder on the painted plastic!

redvetram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6 3.7
LOVE the chrome finish on my 2019 RAM 1500 Classic. I even added chrome hood shield and window vents. This truck is white, but the chrome finish on my red 2014 1500 was especially striking!

chris1126

RAMINA
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
im a fan of chrome. i love it. can get too much obviously but lots of nice polished shiny bright chrome looks awesome! heck, trace atkins even sings about it.

rod from md

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
thats the beauty of being a gearhead and always wanting to tinker/modify...while there are extremes that i dont care for, i really enjoy the variety of cars and trucks .

tastes and trends change . but i can appreciate a nicely chromed accented ride as much as a monochrome scheme . i have had them all over the years