ZF8 - PPE Pan Install and D6 Changeout to Maxlife

Did you have success with your non-Mopar fluid in your ZF8 transmission?

• Yes - my non-Mopar fluid is working just fine

Votes: 16 59.3%
  • No - I changed it back to Mopar/Lifeguard

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • No - I changed it to something else

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • What did you change it "from" and "to"?

Votes: 8 29.6%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Midknight

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Are you guys using 3 ton or 6 ton jack stands for raising the rear end to level? Don‘t want to come up short but also don’t want to be too tall.

fijicorey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Are you guys using 3 ton or 6 ton jack stands for raising the rear end to level? Don‘t want to come up short but also don’t want to be too tall.
I used 6 ton jacks without issue. I also parked on a slight decline with the front facing the declining slope (backed in), which helped.

Midknight

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I was figuring 6 ton. I measured from the ground to the bottom of the axle tube at about 13.5". With suspension sag and getting the wheels off the ground plus leveling its gonna take a bit. I also have a grade to work with and can crib if needed.

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just did mine this morning. All in all a pretty easy job. Just a touch over 7qt.

My 149" wheelbase truck ended up with quite the rear lift to get the pan level. Used the slope of my driveway to my advantage and still had 10" or so under the rear tires. I have 6ton stands and had 2x4's double stacked for additional reach to be safe.

MRFREEZE57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thank you so much for this info. How did you do the drain and refills? I got a PPE pan, and I'd like to do the same. I'd appreciate it if you could let me know if I should do the drains and refills before installing the PPE pan. Also, after the last drain, I imagine that I'd have to change the filter if I install the PPE pan first.
sorry for the time in reply, have not looked at Ram Forum for a bit. I first installed the PPE then refilled it, then did two more drain and fills. the PPE pan is so much easier to drain as the plug is easy to get to, not under the exhaust crossover like the oem pan. also have installed CAULK's thermostat bypass and running much more acceptable fluid temp. as far as the D6, it seems to work ok, shifts smooth and no slippage noticed.

jr27236

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I like the fact that these PPE pans can hold more oil and help lower temps. But do you guys think that besides looking great are they worth the $300 price tag (or what ever the price).

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I like the fact that these PPE pans can hold more oil and help lower temps. But do you guys think that besides looking great are they worth the $300 price tag (or what ever the price).
My main reason for buying the PPE pan was future service cost. I'm money ahead on the second service.

My only minor gripe would be that the filter doesn't have a metal sleeve to torque the bolts to so you can easily distort the plastic.

jr27236

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If anyone ever needs assistance in the st. Louis area with this procedure let me know, have a nice shop with a lift that makes the process really east
That is really nice of you to offer. Im in NY
My main reason for buying the PPE pan was future service cost. I'm money ahead on the second service.

My only minor gripe would be that the filter doesn't have a metal sleeve to torque the bolts to so you can easily distort the plastic.
Did you see any trans temp changes?

MRFREEZE57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I am not sure it lowers temp but it is so much easier to do a second drain and fill as the drain plug is so easily acceptable. I was able to get a slightly used one on EBAY for 200 bucks.

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Everyone has a different use and opinion on the PPR pan. I could definitely see the value in the metal pan if you do any sort of off road driving as it should hold up much better than a plastic pan. As far as a straight replacement for the OEM pan, it depends how frequently you plan to change the fluid and how long you plan to keep the truck. Following ZF's recommendation of 60k mile fluid changes, I would imagine most people would only do 2 or 3 fluid changes in the time they own the truck. I just checked Rock Auto, and the Mopar pan is $190 and the Dorman pan is $125. I think the dorman pan has a replaceable filter so it would accomplish the same thing as the PPE pan as far as a replaceable filter. I got a bunch of grief last time I posted this, but if you are super cheap like me, I found some forum members recommend that you can get a V6 pan on ebay for about $30. The pans for the V6 and V8 are different part numbers but fit the same and I think the only difference is the alignment pin location on the gasket.

It all comes down to what you are comfortable with as far as OEM vs aftermarket and what your intended use for the truck is. For me the added capacity for increased cooling is not an issue since I have the trans thermostat bypass installed.

Midknight

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Well this sucks. I have to drop my exhaust because the crossover is too close to the pan. I couldn't even get the stock one off after loosening the bolts. So far everything that could go wrong has. The PPE pan requires filing of every hole to get the inserts to fit. Just a little venting because at 3 hours in I still don't have the new pan even on yet.

Different Drummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
Well this sucks. I have to drop my exhaust because the crossover is too close to the pan. I couldn't even get the stock one off after loosening the bolts. So far everything that could go wrong has. The PPE pan requires filing of every hole to get the inserts to fit. Just a little venting because at 3 hours in I still don't have the new pan even on yet.
I have no experience with the PPE pan and have done very little reading about it. I have seen a couple of comments about reusing the metal inserts from the OEM pan. I have wondered when reading of this if it is necessary with the PPE pan. In fact is it possible that there could be a negative side to using the OEM inserts on the PPE pan.
I can understand why the inserts are used on a non-metal pan as a means to prevent cracking the pan from over torquing the bolts. I do not know what metal the inserts are made from. Whatever it is I wonder if the expansion rate when heated is different from the expansion rate on the aluminum pan. I would think that A little bit of pressure from uneven heat expansion between dissimilar metals has the potential to crack the pan.
What does PPE say in regards to re-using the metal inserts from the OEM pan?
Just a thought.

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Are you not using factory exhaust?
I have no experience with the PPE pan and have done very little reading about it. I have seen a couple of comments about reusing the metal inserts from the OEM pan. I have wondered when reading of this if it is necessary with the PPE pan. In fact is it possible that there could be a negative side to using the OEM inserts on the PPE pan.
I can understand why the inserts are used on a non-metal pan as a means to prevent cracking the pan from over torquing the bolts. I do not know what metal the inserts are made from. Whatever it is I wonder if the expansion rate when heated is different from the expansion rate on the aluminum pan. I would think that A little bit of pressure from uneven heat expansion between dissimilar metals has the potential to crack the pan.
Just a thought.
Don't over think it.

Midknight

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Yes, factory exhaust. Undid tranny mount and jacked tans up. Was able to create enough separation to finally squeeze it through. Hard to explain but its the black plastic piece inside the back of the trans thats in the way. Once you clear that the pan moves up into place.

PPE says to reuse sleeves and gasket in their instructions. I put a new Mopar gasket on anyway.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Just a thought.
I've been running the PPE pan longer then most guys,and never re-used the factory bolt inserts,and haven't had any issues,and my pan has been on/off more times then anybody else on here who has the same PPE pan.I ended up buying a brand new 8 speed a few years back,so i'm a little anall about changing the fluid in it on a yearly basis now,it's way easier to bite off the cost of a yearly tranny fluid swap,then it is to bite off the cost of a brand new 8 speed,lol. My truck makes 572 lb-ft at 3200 to the rear wheels,so i'm well exceeding the 8 speeds 516 lb-ft crank torque rating.