Zone 1.5” + Vararam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
ThunderMug95

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Lined up a new-to-me pristine chrome bumper w/fogs and parksense. Complete with harnesses. Already have the oem headlight switch w/fogs, M2Mods jumper and now will have 3 oem fog light harnesses lol. Just need to AlphaOBD them into existence. Will not use the park sensors other than to plug the holes lol. Also lined up some PS2 oem fender flares.

Thought for a second about paint matching my bumpers and 3m. After deep consideration that seems like a road I will not travel. Then I would need to do my door handles for a 100% chrome delete. Just seems like fresh hell attempting that…

Adamcr68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemifever 5.7

TotallyHucked

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport CCLWB
Engine
Seeing it on a bigger screen now just reinforces my vote for flares. I'm a big fan of the tires being near dead flush with the side of the truck. That's one thing I've always been jealous of the F150s, throw a level and 35s on stock wheels and they're dead even with the side of the truck. I like that tall, square look.

OP
OP
ThunderMug95

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Todays project…Bumper Swappies! Factory fogs and parking sensors. Dont care about the sensors since I can drive a vehicle and all. If I need parking sensors I should probably wear a helmet full-time…in and out of the truck.

I also installed my factory dash switch and the wiring into the brain. Thanks @Mpgrimm2 ! All went perfect. Now I just need to find and Android and resurrect my AlphaOBD account to turn it on…All I have currently is Apple…Probably should get some bulbs too. Theres bulbs in them, but I didnt look. Shame on me.
@danielmid what size are they? I know you will know.
1685913426374.jpeg

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Todays project…Bumper Swappies! Factory fogs and parking sensors. Dont care about the sensors since I can drive a vehicle and all. If I need parking sensors I should probably wear a helmet full-time…in and out of the truck.

I also installed my factory dash switch and the wiring into the brain. Thanks @Mpgrimm2 ! All went perfect. Now I just need to find and Android and resurrect my AlphaOBD account to turn it on…All I have currently is Apple…Probably should get some bulbs too. Theres bulbs in them, but I didnt look. Shame on me.
@danielmid what size are they? I know you will know.
View attachment 522474
Looks good man! The verticals should be 9006 bulbs.

OP
OP
ThunderMug95

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I pulled the fog assemblies out yesterday. They are out of a ‘16. The had wallowed out the mounts and were bouncing So I used some backyard ingenuity…Built up the posts and pressed them back in.
I ended up putting a set of Fahrens in there.

OP
OP
ThunderMug95

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I haven't updated here in a couple of months. This turned out to be more of a build thread than anticipated! Latest upgrade is I have decided on and purchased a cam. It will arrive in few weeks as it is new to market.
I went with Moe’s Performance NSR HPT cam. This one is designed so as to not required enhanced springs. It is designed to deliver significant torque at the wheels across the natural powerband and a moderate HP bump. This benefits a build like mine with a 3.21 gearing and large tires (35’s). So I will get a decent bump in power in a lower rpm range than traditional cam upgrades and not have to use a higher stall converter. This also accomplished getting rid of the original lifters for the enhanced/Hellcat lifters. With the cam/lifters I am also replacing the factory valve springs with a fresh set as mine have near 90k on them. I eill update when I get near install time.
For those that are curious about cost and difficulty…This will be the first modern cam I have installed, I am not a mechanic by trade, but every part of this truck’s build, I did minus exhaust welding. Cost for the parts from Moe’s/MMX for everything right at $2600, then you add fluids/expendables about another $150-175.
I may even take pics for you guys :)
Cam:

Adamcr68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemifever 5.7
So I haven't updated here in a couple of months. This turned out to be more of a build thread than anticipated! Latest upgrade is I have decided on and purchased a cam. It will arrive in few weeks as it is new to market.
I went with Moe’s Performance NSR HPT cam. This one is designed so as to not required enhanced springs. It is designed to deliver significant torque at the wheels across the natural powerband and a moderate HP bump. This benefits a build like mine with a 3.21 gearing and large tires (35’s). So I will get a decent bump in power in a lower rpm range than traditional cam upgrades and not have to use a higher stall converter. This also accomplished getting rid of the original lifters for the enhanced/Hellcat lifters. With the cam/lifters I am also replacing the factory valve springs with a fresh set as mine have near 90k on them. I eill update when I get near install time.
For those that are curious about cost and difficulty…This will be the first modern cam I have installed, I am not a mechanic by trade, but every part of this truck’s build, I did minus exhaust welding. Cost for the parts from Moe’s/MMX for everything right at $2600, then you add fluids/expendables about another $150-175.
I may even take pics for you guys :)
Cam:
I will definitely be following, I have 3:21’s & 35’s. Already have long tubes & a custom tune, cam is “probably” my last engine upgrade. I would be taking mine to Quick_Shifter’s shop, really impressed that you have done all your work!

OP
OP
ThunderMug95

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I will definitely be following, I have 3:21’s & 35’s. Already have long tubes & a custom tune, cam is “probably” my last engine upgrade. I would be taking mine to Quick_Shifter’s shop, really impressed that you have done all your work!
If your on FB, go to Tuned Rams. Matt Fikac has a post there of this cam installed in 3.21 truck. Pretty impressive.
This cam install will be my biggest challenge. I am not a mechanic, just enjoy working on vehicles. Ive done a couple timing belts and valve cover gaskets, but never anything truly internal. Lots of leaning on people like @Wild one and others for advice and guidance.

Bandit517

That Trials Guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There's a bunch of different "cheats" to re-doing the timing without pulling the oil pump. I'd recommend looking into it before you're there just so you've got an idea of it before you reach an "Oh $hit" moment. I did my cam, valve train and long tubes in February/March. Granted I went with a different cam but the process is still the same. No matter what the posts say online or what other people say, you can do a cam swap without discharging and recharging the AC. Granted it's marginally more of a pain in the rear but saves time and money in the end by not having to have a shop recharge the system. Oh, and for now I've still got 3.21 gears also.

20230217_225244.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
ThunderMug95

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I ordered what I thought were 2 sets of 8 for valve stem seals…I messaged Benny and he said they are sold individually and not by the head set of 8. Conflicting info. $10.69 per valve stem x16. Do I really need to replace thes when swapping springs? Im technically not even touching them.

Bandit517

That Trials Guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I ordered what I thought were 2 sets of 8 for valve stem seals…I messaged Benny and he said they are sold individually and not by the head set of 8. Conflicting info. $10.69 per valve stem x16. Do I really need to replace thes when swapping springs? Im technically not even touching them.
I didn't change my stem seals. There's a ton of variables on if it's important or not. If they're not leaking currently you could say it's not important, but still not a bad idea to do it since it won't be any easier while you're swapping springs. Instead of having to take the springs back out to change them later if they start leaking. In my case I gambled and didn't change them, so far it's not been a problem.