Zone 1.5” + Vararam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
ThunderMug95

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I didn't change my stem seals. There's a ton of variables on if it's important or not. If they're not leaking currently you could say it's not important, but still not a bad idea to do it since it won't be any easier while you're swapping springs. Instead of having to take the springs back out to change them later if they start leaking. In my case I gambled and didn't change them, so far it's not been a problem.
At what mileage were you when you did the springs?

OP
OP
ThunderMug95

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Okay, Thursday night I will be tearing down my 5.7 (88k) to replace the cam/lifters. With the guidance of a few fellows that know and Matt at Moe’s Performance, I have assembled all the parts I need. Even a few new tools. I am looking for the excellent write up on here of the swap. I can’t find it. Can any of you link it?
Thanks and wish me luck lol!

Bandit517

That Trials Guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Okay, Thursday night I will be tearing down my 5.7 (88k) to replace the cam/lifters. With the guidance of a few fellows that know and Matt at Moe’s Performance, I have assembled all the parts I need. Even a few new tools. I am looking for the excellent write up on here of the swap. I can’t find it. Can any of you link it?
Thanks and wish me luck lol!

This was what I studied prior to my cam swap. I did a few things differently. Like not discharging my A/C system and I pulled my heads with the exhaust manifolds still on so I could access the bolts better to work them out without breaking them off in the head (Had 1 broken already when I started the job).

OP
OP
ThunderMug95

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
All done. Drove it out 3 times today. Logging for Hemifever. Its got a nice lope and very smooth. Revs up faster. I can feel the increase in torque. Didn't rev it too high.
What a freaking job though. Tons of work. Had a few errors but I overcame them.

Adamcr68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemifever 5.7
All done. Drove it out 3 times today. Logging for Hemifever. Its got a nice lope and very smooth. Revs up faster. I can feel the increase in torque. Didn't rev it too high.
What a freaking job though. Tons of work. Had a few errors but I overcame them.
Much respect to you on doing your own work & glad to hear your truck is running strong.
I plan doing a cam at some point, but don’t think I would attempt to do it myself

OP
OP
ThunderMug95

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Much respect to you on doing your own work & glad to hear your truck is running strong.
I plan doing a cam at some point, but don’t think I would attempt to do it myself
Its daunting. I marked the timing in 11 places lol. If I hadnt, this would be a different storytime! When I I was reinstalling the phaser, the chain evidently slipped, but looked good on the marks until I released the tensioner it looked slightly off, but close like I marked it while standing. Segway to after heads were on and I was torquing the rockers.The guide washers have keeper tabs, one was pinched, and it snapped the guide in half. Ran to CDJR dealer, had to buy a new arm…$196 to get that little piece off it. After assembling rockers and pushrods, rolled the motor over, interference. No doubt. Had to disassemble and retime it, I was a tooth off. After that it rolled over perfect. Fought the exhaust because my TSP headers are slip fit. Uggghhh. 2 1/2 days of work.
I am beat-up, tired, scraped up lol. But I have a smile haha.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Its daunting. I marked the timing in 11 places lol. If I hadnt, this would be a different storytime! When I I was reinstalling the phaser, the chain evidently slipped, but looked good on the marks until I released the tensioner it looked slightly off, but close like I marked it while standing. Segway to after heads were on and I was torquing the rockers.The guide washers have keeper tabs, one was pinched, and it snapped the guide in half. Ran to CDJR dealer, had to buy a new arm…$196 to get that little piece off it. After assembling rockers and pushrods, rolled the motor over, interference. No doubt. Had to disassemble and retime it, I was a tooth off. After that it rolled over perfect. Fought the exhaust because my TSP headers are slip fit. Uggghhh. 2 1/2 days of work.
I am beat-up, tired, scraped up lol. But I have a smile haha.
Yep, its the tough jobs like that that really make you feel good when alls said and done and working as should. Congrats!

Wheres the sound clip of the ol girl chugging away?!??!

OP
OP
ThunderMug95

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Update…Everything is running great. I have put about 400mi on it. Including a 250mi interstate trip up into the Blue Ridge mtns. Runs perfect, Lots of torque and a bump in Hp.
When I did the cam/lifters, I also installed the ATI 15% underdrive. The hp gain is not felt, but wow did it smooth out the motor up top.
The negative…the combination of a cam with a lope and to a degree, the underdrive…my lights would pulse slightly with the cam lope. It was the battery. Installed a H8 AGM battery and no more issue.

OP
OP
ThunderMug95

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I also realized that my 6+yr old Magnaflow is done for. So the new catback will be installing an X-pipe in the midpipes, rhen a Y into a Borla ProXS and then connect to my existing dual 2.5”s. Kind of like the StainlessWorks set up.
Sent logs in, Hemifever says they look good. I am also installing an AFR gauge. Thats the proof in the pudding.

OP
OP
ThunderMug95

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Update…Everything is running great. I have put about 400mi on it. Including a 250mi interstate trip up into the Blue Ridge mtns. Runs perfect, Lots of torque and a bump in Hp.
When I did the cam/lifters, I also installed the ATI 15% underdrive. The hp gain is not felt, but wow did it smooth out the motor up top.
The negative…the combination of a cam with a lope and to a degree, the underdrive…my lights would pulse slightly with the cam lope. It was the battery. Installed a H8 AGM battery and no more issue.
So to loop back on the battery and the lights dimming on the cam lope…I can still tell its still there, just ever so slightly. Exploring a few options…Big 3, a Mechman or JS 240/250 amp alternator…I am not super familiar with this stuff. I lost my real estate to install a dual battery.
Any thoughts?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amdwilsns01