18 2500 CTD - sloppy gear engagement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thorny

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
I just turned 10,000 miles on my 2018 2500 CTD 4X4. I use this vehicle for pleasure and long road trips, not heavy towing. I'm noticing that when it shifts into 5th and 6th, its like the clutches engage in 3-4 distinct steps rather than a smooth transition. Sort of like it bounces into gear. And it does it when shifting from 4->5, 5->6, 6->5.

Is this a programing issue or a mechanical one? Dealer fix or would is simple disconnect batteries and let the electrical system run dry and then re-connect fix the issue?

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
It's normal.
Transmission is unlocking the torque converter, shifting, and re-locking the converter. It's the way it is programmed to help prolong the life of the transmission. You can tune the truck and change that (at the cost of losing your warranty) but then you also risk breaking the transmission putting too much torque to the shaft during shifts. There are tuners out there that will do "locked" shifts but to me that's asking for trouble if you are not careful.

OP
OP
Thorny

Thorny

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
It's normal.
Transmission is unlocking the torque converter, shifting, and re-locking the converter. It's the way it is programmed to help prolong the life of the transmission. You can tune the truck and change that (at the cost of losing your warranty) but then you also risk breaking the transmission putting too much torque to the shaft during shifts. There are tuners out there that will do "locked" shifts but to me that's asking for trouble if you are not careful.

thx. If it's normal then it's tollerable. But if its just another programming issue that dodge has then I was going to get it taken care of.

Iron Outlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Do you have bigger tires? Before I corrected my speedometer it made the 5-6 and 6-5 shift real bad. Afterwards it normal.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Do you have bigger tires? Before I corrected my speedometer it made the 5-6 and 6-5 shift real bad. Afterwards it normal.

It's a cummins so not as susceptible to the affects of the larger tires (within reason) as the gas and the gas truck has different transmission programming being that it has a lot less torque to put down.

I went from stock to 35's on my cummins with no noticeable difference in shifting, still the same pattern of the torque converter unlocking, flaring, locking again. It's done that way to save the transmission. 1st, 2nd, and 3rd are always unlocked. Locks when it goes into 4th and then does the unlock lock/lock pattern shifting from there up.

JFV1134

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins
You can always run in “Tow/Haul” mode. That changes shift points and locks the torque converter earlier.