2017 2500 Ram 6.7 cummins motor trouble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tammybrian2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
i took my sons ram in to town the other day, driving between 50-60mph and out of nowhere, the engine starts knocking. the knock slowed as rpm's dropped. the truck has 147k on it. we're are in the process of trying to get it to a shop to have it looked at. my first thought was a rod, but wondering what else might cause something like this if not a rod issue? he was crushed when i told him what happened. he loves the truck and paid a pretty penny for it used with roughly 140k on it.

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
i took my sons ram in to town the other day, driving between 50-60mph and out of nowhere, the engine starts knocking. the knock slowed as rpm's dropped. the truck has 147k on it. we're are in the process of trying to get it to a shop to have it looked at. my first thought was a rod, but wondering what else might cause something like this if not a rod issue? he was crushed when i told him what happened. he loves the truck and paid a pretty penny for it used with roughly 140k on it.

Rod bearing. :(

Dennis Shellito

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins IBS
Without listening to the engine it is nearly impossible to even hazard a guess, but a rod sounds like ka-knock. It could well be something in the valve train because others, not Cummins or diesel, thought the spun a rod but a rocker arm came loose. A valve train problem usually comes with a steady miss in one cylinder. Sorry to hear of your sons hard luck. Hope the engine isn't toast.

OP
OP
T

tammybrian2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
i dont know if this means anything, but as we were loading the truck on to the trailer tonight and the nose of the truck was in the air, the knocking somewhat went away and with the truck up on the trailer the knock stopped, for the minute or so we had it running the knock was gone. also forgot to mention that the oil level was good and the oil pressure was normal. with the nose of the truck in the air, could it have 'forced' oil somewhere that might have stopped the knock for that few seconds/minute??
and i know there's no way to really tell whats wrong with it without tearing in to it, but was just hoping someone would tell me what i wanted to hear (that it'll be an inexpensive fix)...when i KNOW its going to be just the opposite.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
My first thought was a hung injector, but post 4 makes is a head scratcher.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
forgot to mention that the oil level was good and the oil pressure was normal.
Unless you put in an aftermarket gauges, the dash oil pressure and temperature are calculated values but the oil idiot light actually works.
You said the knocking went away when the nose was up? Wonder if it's a broken/cracked motor/transmission mount.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I once had a truck that started making a sound much like a rod knock. Under the truck it sounded like the sound was coming from the oil pan and changed with rpm. I thought it was going to be bad.
It ended up being a bolt on the pressure plate was starting to loosen up.
Hopefully your problem will not be serious.

OP
OP
T

tammybrian2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
we got the truck to the shop last night, i'll send an update after i get the news. sounds like it'll be a week or so before it can be looked at. thanks for your responses!

Msquare

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
we got the truck to the shop last night, i'll send an update after i get the news. sounds like it'll be a week or so before it can be looked at. thanks for your responses!

Any update on what the cause was? Thanks!

OP
OP
T

tammybrian2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
a long overdue update on my sons truck. first, it is still at the shop. why is it 9 months later and its still at the shop? from what i had heard, the guy said he had 30-40 trucks in front of my sons, and now they are waiting on parts. from what i'm hearing, it was a piston issue (delaminated piston?), cylinder 6 was only showing 25psi on the compression test. would that cause the knocking sound i was hearing? he's putting all new pistons in and where ever he's getting them from only shipped 5, so we're waiting on the sixth to show up.

Dennis Shellito

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins IBS
Anything amiss can cause an engine to knock. I have never heard of a piston "delaminating", and would sure like to see a pic of said piston. I broke the skirt off a piston in an old 283ci chevy nearly 50 years ago, and that thing sure knocked. Hope this fix makes you and your son happy.