2018 2500 Cummins 4x4 drag link recall

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KC15842

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Folks, the recall looks so simple so why can't a local dealership inspect in less than 6 hours?

I just want the entire link replaced no damn welding of the nuts, just replace it. What have you folks done?

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Got mine replaced by my local dealer with the help of @RamCares. The first trip they told me they would do it then called when they were done and said they welded it as they did not receive proper authorization to replace. I knew that wasn't true because @RamCares said someone at Ram spoke with the service manager about it. I complained to the dealer with no luck then PM'd @RamCares on here and the next day the dealer called and told me to bring it in for replacement.

OP
OP
K

KC15842

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Got mine replaced by my local dealer with the help of @RamCares. The first trip they told me they would do it then called when they were done and said they welded it as they did not receive proper authorization to replace. I knew that wasn't true because @RamCares said someone at Ram spoke with the service manager about it. I complained to the dealer with no luck then PM'd @RamCares on here and the next day the dealer called and told me to bring it in for replacement.
Thanks, I'll try a dealership a few miles down the road and see how it goes. I lost my mind when the service writer turned his back and closed the door on me when I said 6 hours to inspect was crazy. Lost my mind.... my bad

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Do not trust any ram dealer, although there’s probably an honest one somewhere, verify everything they say, do not trust them at all,confirm anything said or reportedly done. Did I mention they lie about everything. Be careful.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Thanks, I'll try a dealership a few miles down the road and see how it goes. I lost my mind when the service writer turned his back and closed the door on me when I said 6 hours to inspect was crazy. Lost my mind.... my bad

Open a case with @RamCares and have them get you set up before going to a dealer. The dealer cannot authorize a replacement unless it fails the inspection and test.

ATLglock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Open a case with @RamCares and have them get you set up before going to a dealer. The dealer cannot authorize a replacement unless it fails the inspection and test.

What if you purchase a used 2500 that had the recall done and you need an alignment that involves changing the toe-in with the steering wheel centered? I am experiencing this at the moment...

OP
OP
K

KC15842

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
If you have not read the recall instructions.

Attachments

• ram recall instructions.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 13
OP
OP
K

KC15842

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
What if you purchase a used 2500 that had the recall done and you need an alignment that involves changing the toe-in with the steering wheel centered? I am experiencing this at the moment...
IMO, and I haven't experienced this, It looks like the welds can be ground and the jam nuts loosened. They would need to reweld after final adjustments. It'll get sloppy looking.

ATLglock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
IMO, and I haven't experienced this, It looks like the welds can be ground and the jam nuts loosened. They would need to reweld after final adjustments. It'll get sloppy looking.

I overheard the technician say exactly that, but then the service manager came to me and said I would have to purchase a new drag link for the low cost of $495, not including labor to install. I politely declined and contacted FCA, I am awaiting a response. I'm not going to pay to fix something FCA called a "fix" for a recall.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

I would contact Ramcares and (politely) tell them what is going on. Explain that you cannot get the alignment done because of the weld on an adjustable part etc. and see what they have to say. I have no idea how they handle a second hand truck that has already been "fixed" but it's worth a shot. Talking/complaining to a dealer about it will go no where.

ATLglock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I would contact Ramcares and (politely) tell them what is going on. Explain that you cannot get the alignment done because of the weld on an adjustable part etc. and see what they have to say. I have no idea how they handle a second hand truck that has already been "fixed" but it's worth a shot. Talking/complaining to a dealer about it will go no where.

A lady from FCA just called me and said they have a replacement drag link and it will be installed as a "one-time" fix. I was placed on hold while she contacted the dealership about scheduling a time for me to have the work done. She came back and said I would have to leave the truck there for a week because they were "so busy". Now granted, I was just there yesterday at 4 pm and the SA was willing to have my truck fixed after I purchase the drag link and pay for labor by 7 pm. Now all of a sudden they will need the truck for a week because they are too busy when the part and labor is at no cost to me. I've always heard about crap like this happening to other people, but it is surreal when it happens to you.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
A lady from FCA just called me and said they have a replacement drag link and it will be installed as a "one-time" fix. I was placed on hold while she contacted the dealership about scheduling a time for me to have the work done. She came back and said I would have to leave the truck there for a week because they were "so busy". Now granted, I was just there yesterday at 4 pm and the SA was willing to have my truck fixed after I purchase the drag link and pay for labor by 7 pm. Now all of a sudden they will need the truck for a week because they are too busy when the part and labor is at no cost to me. I've always heard about crap like this happening to other people, but it is surreal when it happens to you.

That is BS, It's all of a 30 minute job to replace it plus a little time to get it on the lift etc so 1 hour tops.

If it makes you feel any better, when I took mine down to get it replaced I sat there for over 2 hours they came in and said t he truck was ready. Got my keys and went to leave then thought to myself, let me look and see what it looks like. Looked under the truck and....... They never changed it. Apparently the tech took 2 hours to inspect it. I was furious they immediately took it back and swapped it in 15 minutes

OP
OP
K

KC15842

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
The dealerships now suck. They get paid to do the work so why make the experience a negative one. In the long run they are hurtingthe brand with there poor support. IMO

OP
OP
K

KC15842

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
That is BS, It's all of a 30 minute job to replace it plus a little time to get it on the lift etc so 1 hour tops.

If it makes you feel any better, when I took mine down to get it replaced I sat there for over 2 hours they came in and said t he truck was ready. Got my keys and went to leave then thought to myself, let me look and see what it looks like. Looked under the truck and....... They never changed it. Apparently the tech took 2 hours to inspect it. I was furious they immediately took it back and swapped it in 15 minutes
These GM's need to create a efficient process. I do my best to never take my vehicles to the dealerships and reading all of their BS I don't feel bad about loosing my cool on an incompetent tech writer and his management team.

ATLglock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
These GM's need to create a efficient process. I do my best to never take my vehicles to the dealerships and reading all of their BS I don't feel bad about loosing my cool on an incompetent tech writer and his management team.

The good news is that the FCA customer support lady called again today to check on the progress, I told her that I couldn't be without the truck for a week for such a simple swap, so she called another nearby dealer and set up an appointment for next Wed. and the service manager there said it shouldn't take more than a couple of hours. I'll update everyone on how it turns out...

OP
OP
K

KC15842

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
The good news is that the FCA customer support lady called again today to check on the progress, I told her that I couldn't be without the truck for a week for such a simple swap, so she called another nearby dealer and set up an appointment for next Wed. and the service manager there said it shouldn't take more than a couple of hours. I'll update everyone on how it turns out...
Good for you, that's how it should work. The most time consuming task is the alignment recheck, if they do it.

michael harpe

U.S. Army 2001-2014
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 hemi
When I called the ram dealer near me about the need to recenter the steering wheel, the service tech said they can’t grind the welds off and adjust the drag link. That I had to order the new drag link which is on back order for 4-6 weeks. It would cost me $707 for the updated drag link plus an alignment.

I said no thanks. Ordered the synergy steering kit, front trac bar, and fox steering stabilizer for 1363 from poly performance. With the military discount and 2 others that Microsoft’s edge browser coupon add on added I got 107 for a discount.

Paid with affirm so I didn’t have to pay all at once. And even if I made the money payments with the interest, it still comes put to just a bit cheaper than full price before discounts.

I will never pay dealer prices for anything and if I can find it stronger for cheaper elsewhere I’ll upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
K

KC15842

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Got the call today from Chrysler letting me know they are ordering the new drag link and will have it sent to the local dealer. They said it should be delivered in about 2 weeks. Lets see what happens next. Its too bad you need to carefully plot how to handle their safety recall so you don't get screwed. We'll see.....